Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default BEST NSV I could ask for

My journey started because I wanted my son to start right from the get go to make healthy choices, for it to be every day normal for fruits, veg, home made, clean eating.

Granted he's only 18 months old, but I firmly believe you have to lead by example not do as I say not as I do.

Well, he is spending the week at the grandparents since his Nanny is on vacation. I've set down rules of course, but realize they will spoil him (its not too bad, we've always been a fresh from the garden family)

Long story short, all week he's been offered ice cream, cake, pie, cookies, things like that. Turns out my smart little man took one mouth full of ice cream and spit it out, same with the cookies.
He instead pointed at the bowl of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and banana's that are always sitting on the counter and ate those. I even have pictures of him picking apples of the tree with one in his mouth

THIS is why I changed things, and THIS makes me proud as Mom and conifdent I am doing the right thing.

Good day for me
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Awwww!!! That is the best NSV I have ever seen!! Congrats to the mother of the year!!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Stunning. Congratulations.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #4  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

That is so wonderful! You have to feel so good to know that you have instilled that in him.
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

That's great! When my daughter was a toddler, I was trying to eat better. I lost about 40 lbs. at that time. Even I fell off the wagon, my daughter stuck with what she learned. She's 6 now. She loves veggies! We can't keep her in cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and carrots!

May his good eating habits last a lifetime
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

So cool!! What a great thing to start so young! I was real good about instilling these habits young..always made my own baby food, didn't allow soda or juice, only water and milk, etc. But eventually, they did learn far more by seeing what mom did than by what mom expected of them. Now we're retraining the monkey-see part.

But the nice thing is, kids are moldable and it's never too late.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That is incredible! I wish I had done the same for my kids but it's never to late to start
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #8  
If you wanna Rock It . .

IM just grinning from ear to ear . . . . so proud of him.

Here's a pic, because now I have to be the proud mom and show it off ha ha, sorry if it's huge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apple picking.jpg (34.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #9  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

That's such an amazing NSV! My daughter was 6 when I started this journey so unfortunately she had already learned a lot of my bad habits, but I'm ecstatic to say that unlike me she knows when she's had enough of certain foods like dessert and pushed it away rather than eating it all because it's there like I did. It's a standing joke in our house that when she says the immortal words "it's too chocolatey" we laugh and say that she can't be my daughter lol. Her nanny visited earlier in the week and took her out for the day. They had lunch out and nanny bought her a chocolate muffin and do you know what? She ate half, said she'd had enough and brought the rest home to give to hubby. She didn't want to eat the rest later like nanny suggested, she gave it away because she'd had enough. I was so proud that she is learning that you don't have to clear your plate like I was brought up, and a small amount of something can be plenty.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #10  
A new begining!

S/C/G: 263/240/135

Height: 5'5"

cute! My son is 18 months too. when was his birthday? Elijah's is 2/6/09. I know how you feel, I'm always getting after his grandparents about feeding him junk.
Elijahs phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #11  
If you wanna Rock It . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahs phoenix View Post
cute! My son is 18 months too. when was his birthday? Elijah's is 2/6/09. I know how you feel, I'm always getting after his grandparents about feeding him junk.
Jack is 2-10-09, I dont normally have to worry too much about him being fed junk, we usually visit for an afternoon or a day the both of us so I can see what he's been given, but of course a while week and Grandma thinks it's the perfect time to sneek in some treats
So glad he has picked up the habits he has, at least now I don't have to worry so much about what he's eating
Old 08-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #12  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

Nearly brought to tears - LITERALLY! That is just the absolute BEST thing possible to ask for! I struggle so much to get my girls to enjoy healthy foods, unfortunately I started late in the game. What you are doing is so fantastic and your PRECIOUS son will be so thankful for his WONDERFUL mom in the future. Your post was truly just so inspiring to me. I will not give up on my girls.

Keep it up Coondocks, you're definitely rockin it!
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #13  
started out 6/30/10

Congrats on a really meaningful NSV!!

I always worry that my son will follow in my foot steps, so we've really tried to do the same thing you're doing. He loves fruit, many veggies, and our version of "sweets" consists of black bean brownies with avocado and zucchini. He doesn't know the difference, and I love how he loves good, wholesome food.

Anyway, good for you. You're setting your baby up for a lifetime of good choices.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Awww!! How awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

WOW! That is really something! You are up for mother of the year!

Like some others on this thread, I have started late. My daughter is 9, and she has a chip monkey on her back. LUCKILY she is still a healthy weight, is extremely active, and stops eating - whatever it is - when she's had enough. BUT, about a month into my journey, she exclaimed "Do you realize I have not had McDonald's or pizza in a month!", said in an accusatory tone as if it were child abuse! hahaha

Luckily, she IS old enough to have a serious discussion with. I have explained to her that Mommy grew up with some very bad habits and right now I am working hard to get my health back. I explained that she is not on a diet and can have treats with friends and at her spoilin' aunt's house, and I do buy her a bag of her beloved sour cream and onion chips (snack size) when I go to the grocery store each week. But Mommy will be cooking balanced, healthy meals from now on, hopefully so we can learn together what is good for us and will make us strong. I think she's getting it! And I know she will appreciate my efforts as she gets into the weight-conscious teenage years. One of the things I believe will keep me on-plan is finally realizing that I am doing it for both of us -- and there's not a lot I wouldn't do for her!

Sorry I wrote a book, but I have a lot of guilt about this whole thing. OP, congrats on doing it right from the start!!! Simply AWESOME!

Last edited by shannonmb; 08-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote