Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/213/160

Height: 5'5

Default New Mom Can't Sleep Let Alone Exercise! HELP!

Ugh! So, I'm about the end of my line here. My weight is becoming a serious issue and I definitely need some support. My name is Alicia and originally I googled low fat recipes for weight loss, and came up with this forum! That's interesting, right? I hope it was meant to be.

Anyway, I just turned 21 and although I haven't drank for the past year and don't intend to any time soon, I have surpassed the beer belly and am heading straight for the kegger I really don't eat that much, but I don't do that much either. Its hard to remember to breathe let alone do much of anything else because I have a 4 month old that gets bored too easily.

I don't know what to do. I've considered taking my son out for walks, but the heat makes him throw up and its awful outside. Prepregnancy, I was 188lbs, then by the time my son was born I leaped up to 250. My son is now 4 months old and I'm down to 213 which is exciting, but being my size is still irritating. It irritates me so badly, that I'm pretty sure its affecting my relationship with my boyfriend too. That probably doesn't make any sense, but like... I love my son and I've never been so proud, but all in the same token, I'm ashamed to look at whats happened to my body. My boyfriend and I don't do anything together anymore. We barely see each other now, and I believe its partially my fault.

Can other mommys or successful people out there offer me any advice or maybe even a direction to go in? Even better... anyone want to lend me their magic wand so I can get my life back in order again! Thanks!

Love and Support,
Alicia
2010Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/170/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Alicia! My name is Vanessa and I have been going through what you are for the past, well almost 16 months. Pre pregnancy I was 150 which I had a little tummy on me I was working to get off. The day my son was born I was 197 lbs. This was my second pregnancy, which everything frustrated me I only gained 15 lbs with my daughter and I was down to my reg size the week I got home from the hospital. This time around..so different!!

March of this year I finally joined the gym. I couldn't do it any other way. It's too hot during the summer for walks with the kids and my son was almot a yr old so I knew I had to do something. I joined the gym weighing 178 lbs in march and my current weight is 170. My suggestion would to be joining a gym where you will get to workout and have your son interacting w/ other children in their daycare. Even buying some work out dvd's would be great, at nap time (believe me I know it's tough cause by then you're so tired!!) do a workout. At the gym it's sort of like me time, I have a break and can work on myself.

I just started full throttle work outs this week and have changed my diet to start eating healthier because by now I thought for sure I would have lost more weight then I did!! But exercise alone will not help. My life still isn't back in order, but I am taking the steps towards it!! I can let you know if the new change in my nutrition will help along with the workouts, but I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to.

Last edited by Nessa411; 08-04-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Nessa411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #3  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Alicia, welcome to 3FC and we are glad you are here
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #4  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Welcome!

I would try to keep your son VERY busy especially if you say he gets bored. Take him to parks, swimming, etc.....try any and every active thing you can possible think up until you find something he likes. My son is very busy and it was hard for me back when he was born in 2006 things are better now and I think with time your situation will get better. Until you can get baby under control continue to watch what you eat. Have you considered working out in the house? He may end up being into it...

Anyways I hope its helpful and just know that you can do this!!!!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #5  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

Thirty two years ago I was tearing my hair out too!!! A new baby can be **** can't they? I discovered swimming got rid of some of the extra energy and a ride in the car helped her go to sleep, also playing music. I do feel for you my dear, I wish I was near to give you a big hug. Do you have a mum near who can take over for 24 hours so that you and your B/F can have some time together... me time?
Don't pile too much on yourself just now. Diets are bad enough without all the hassle of a new little person in your life. Just eat healthily for the next few weeks maybe?
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

Alicia - If you have a mall nearby and a stroller, you can take your son to the mall and walk laps around the mall. All of the lights, activity, window displays, may catch your sons attention long enough for you to get some walking in.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/213/160

@Brown: Actually, I didn't gain all of my weight until my 6th or 7th month of pregnancy. I don't drink soda because we don't have any in the house, and I'm too broke to afford fast food. Otherwise, I eat a lot of salad and baked chicken. That's pretty much it as far as groceries go in our house. I took some veggies and made a cabbage soup actually with practically nothing in it. No salt, just seasonings. I've been eating that and watermelon for the last 3 days!

@Nessa: Wow! Its bittersweet to hear someone else having gone through or going through the same thing that I am. I've had friends who've had several children and don't look like they ever gained a pound! Its awful, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

Thanks everyone for your support and welcomes! I've GOT to do something, and I'm glad to have found a place where there are people behind me, good bad or indifferent. <3
2010Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #9  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #10  

thanks for sharing....
abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

4 mos old? Pretty new baby. Have you been screened for PPD?

Can BF help with some of the parenting? Do you have support from other friends and family?

Having a new baby around certainly can be an adjustment!

Hang in there, ok?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Hi Alicia (my real name is Alicia too), I'm also a new mom, my son is going to be 9 weeks old on Tuesday. He has colic.

The only advice I can offer is to not feel guilty to take time for yourself. It is okay to leave the baby for 5 minutes within sight in order to prepare yourself a healthy meal. With Alex's colic, he screams the entire 5 minutes - but I need to feed myself and especially pay attention to nutrition, because as I'm sure you know, sleep is very rare.

There are some mommy/baby exercises available online. Check this out:
http://www.dswfitness.com/docs/Mom&BabyExercise.pdf

It's not ideal, but until you get more time or the weather cools, it is better than nothing.

Good luck!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #13  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Hang in there!

I have a 14-month-old. When she was four months, I was still having trouble finding time to breathe. This may not be popular advice on a weight-loss forum, but I suggest taking care of your mental health first. Make sure you have time to do things on your own, apart from baby. Take a few small steps toward your health, particularly getting some simple exercise in. Another poster mentioned joining a gym with a daycare, and I totally agree. My gym has childcare and it was one of the best things I could have done for myself.

Please be gentle with yourself right now. Spend time with yourself and your partner- new babies are hard. When you feel a little more in control mentally, then you can hit the weightloss hard.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I've BTDT twice and I've found that no matter how cleanly I eat and how hard I push myself with a tiny baby he weight loss is slow and I'm just depressed at the end of the day. It wasn't until my babies were a little older that I could hit it full force and take care of my weight. You need to focus on being healthy right now (mind and body) regardless of your weight. Eat cleanly, move as much as you can, and the rest will fall into place when you're ready.

Can your boyfriend take the baby for a few hours now and then to give you a mental health break?

Also, unfortunately, I have to agree with the above poster who said there's a denial aspect to it. I didn't get to 257 lbs eating boxes of donuts and candy. I thought I was eating healthy and I WAS... just WAYYYYY too much of it. Until I sat down and started adding up every bite I took I didn't' realize it. Also, don't crash diet... this cabbage soup/watermelon thing is no good! You need some protein in your life. Some variety! Are you nursing?

Best of luck to you!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #15  

Hello and welcome to 3FC. Good luck to you in your journey and in reaching all your goals.
Magnolia Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote