Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157.6 / 157.6 / 122.0

Height: 5' 5"

Default Fear of Exercise

Is it just me? I'm winded just walking one flight and my legs actually burn. I just hate that feeling and it keeps me from exercising. I actually hate the sensation and fear it'll keep me from getting fit. Any one else?
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

So walk half a flight of stairs. But do it 2 times a day. And in a week or two, try a full flight again.

It's ok to start exercise really, really slowly. As long as you increase it at a slow and steady pace, you'll get there in the end. I started out exercising only 5 minutes at a time, twice a day. Now, an hour straight is easier than that 5 minutes used to be. It took some time, but it's much, much better.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I used to feel the same way until I put in a 100% effort and had a nice refreshing shower. Once the results started to become visible, there was no going back.

If nothing else, consider the health benefits of some minimal cardiovascular activity. Nobody needs to become an athlete, but we all need basic heart-healthy activity.

If you are 157lbs and 5'5 (which is just barely overweight) and getting winded going up a flight of stairs, it is a sign of some seriously bad deconditioning. Choose an activity you enjoy and work your way up. Walking the mall, walking a dog, etc.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #4  
I'm fat.

S/C/G: 260.8/see ticker/145

Height: 5"6

I hate exercise. Always have. Always will. The only physical exertion I enjoy is dancing really hard to music I really, really like at a club.

I used to be really athletic, playing basketball very competitively. Even then, I wasn't so fond of the more painful aspects of it (sore muscles, racing heart, sweat, fatigue, etc).

I can promise, though, that after awhile, it doesn't suck as much. Especially after you get energy. You start to crave it.

I'd say, stairs are universally hated. Why not do something more fun? Unless you're trying to make you glutes super sexy - a noble goal, indeed!
BoobsNotBombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/256/150

Height: 5'6"

I hate exercise too and the stairs, forget it. I hate being out of breath when I get to the top. I started parking farther away from the front door of my office. This way it forces me to walk a little farther...it's not much but it's a start. I am thinking of tackling the stairs next month.
sara0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #6  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

I avoided exercise when I started. I just wanted to focus on getting the food right. Once I was down about 20 pounds I started doing a little exercise and it is much easier now. Start slow, you will feel better if you keep going.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

In addition to the starting slow, I'm going to expand upon what boobsnotbombs said. Don't start with stairs! It's a much more taxing exercise than walking, I promise. Unless something IS wrong with you, walking for half hour a day should be pretty feasible. Once you discover what you can do, you push it a bit further, and a bit further, until you are amazed at what you can do. Or keep with walking! There's nothing wrong with that, and it is very good for your heart.

I started the C25K a few months ago now- a running program that promises to take any couch potato and make it so they can finish a 5k. You start with 8 repetitions of 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking and slowly increase running time. Now, Mrs Failed Running and Gym (um, me), can jog for half hour straight. It's not an easy program, but the feeling of confidence in yourself you get from finishing it each day is AMAZING.

Which is my last point. Yes, exercising will grow on you. Even if you never come to love it, you do start to miss it/want it.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157.6 / 157.6 / 122.0

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks to everyone who replied! I had my swimming lesson today and the last 10 minutes was great and I really enjoyed myself. I can't wait for my next one! I wasn't exercising on the stairs, just had to walk up to another floor and I didn't want to take the elevator. That said, I still hate the stairs.

Anyway, I've had a good time swimming and tomorrow night I'll go for a long walk which I love. It's pretty hilly in my area so that will help getting in shape but I'll be walking slowly at first and then build towards fast walking.

And I'm really interested in trying the C25K that Gold32 mentioned. Is that something that started on this forum?
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
So walk half a flight of stairs. But do it 2 times a day. And in a week or two, try a full flight again.
How would she get up the second half?

Try starting out with walking every day and slowly pick up the pace.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

In the beginning I hated exercise. I had no problem do it, I just really didn't want to. The actual feeling while exercising was about as pleasant as getting the flu to me, 'the burn'. BUT the burn will go away the longer you stay with it and eventually you can do more. I started off with light cardio and then progressed to harder cardio and eventually strength training so just take is slow and easy.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
How would she get up the second half?

Try starting out with walking every day and slowly pick up the pace.
Turn around and walk back down?
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
Turn around and walk back down?
D'oh.
I was counting that as "doing another half." I pictured her stuck in the middle and waiting until the afternoon to do the second half. Never mind me!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

^^^LOL. rachinma, thanks for the laugh! I really needed that right now!
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

For me, it's not so much hating exercise because I love that feeling of accomplishment when I've done it, but it's the overwhelming laziness that keeps my a** glued to the couch. I wait tables and can make it though a long shift on my feet and constantly moving, so it's not so much that I can't exercise as much as it is I don't want to enough to do it.

I don't want to exercise, but I don't want to be fat anymore.

Stupid catch 22.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Responding to the question a bit late... but yes, the C25K program is outlined on Cool Running, but has its own website- www.c25k.com. I like that it has flexibility- you can choose to run by time or by length. And either way, they stress that it's not a race, and you can "granny shuffle" if you have to. They also emphasize doing what feels right for you- if you can complete a week, no matter how hard, they recommend pushing on. But if you can't complete a week, there is NO stigma in repeating the week. I also liked that you only did it every other day, giving you a chance to recover or do other exercises.

I found out about it through here, and there used to be a really nice thread going on about it. There are plenty of support boards out there for it. If it sounds even half way doable to you, I recommend giving the first week a go. I did, on a whim, and now I can jog for 30 minutes straight! I'm still amazed by that.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote