South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default I've been on plan for 5 weeks, a bit disappointed with scale.

Hi guys, this isn't going to be a whiny post, but I'm just more confused than anything.

I've been OP for 5 weeks, no cheats. Made sure to get my food groups in, and all my veggies. I did a clean Phase 1 and everything. Normally I lose more than I have. I haven't weighed myself the entire 5 weeks because I haven't been able to get up to my gym (where they have scales) and my own personal scale broke. I had a weight watcher's digital scale in a box of stuff I found in my closet yesterday so I put batteries in it and excitedly weighed myself.

I've only lost 3 lbs (and yes I was naked. TMI? Lol) Of course I realized I could just be retaining water so I'm going to weigh again in a couple of days after hydrating a lot.

Actually in the past I would have been so discouraged I would have went on an eating binge, but I didn't, in fact I was even more determined to stay OP. Maybe the last time I weighed myself on another scale, IT was inaccurate, and I've lost more than I've shown. Either way, I did lose something, and that's definitely something, right? I have no plans to get off track just because of this minor disappointment. I'm still happy.

I definitely need to start adding in exercise though, that's a definite MUST.

What do you guys think is going on?
*** EDIT; oops, forgot to put the part about maybe I consumed too high a number of calories somehow, and even though I've been retraining myself to eat more appropriate portions, maybe I just need to start measuring everything exactly to make sure I'm not over-consuming even the good stuff. I should also probably count my calories too.

I have a little food scale I just got and measuring spoons and cups and all of that so that's another thing I'm going to change. I will measure everything precisely for a few weeks and count my calories too so I can see what's going on.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #2  

That can be really dissapointing. Just don't give up, soon enough the scale will go down. Keep up the good work.
LindsaysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

Thanks, LindsaysMommy! I appreciate those kind words.

What's really weird is, (I forgot to put this in the post!) is that I can see a change in the mirror, and my clothes are DEFINITELY loser. I mean it's nothing drastic, but enough for me to notice. I hope I'm not just imagining things.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hey Mel-

First, you are doing an amazing job staying on plan this time!! I hope you really appreciate that and pat yourself on the back.

Now, a few suggestions-
I think you're right on with weighing and measuring, especially fats, cheeses, and proteins. All that stuff is calorie dense and it's important to figure out what a serving size really is. Remember you can fill the extra space with lots and lots of veggies

It looks like you use a lot of stuff that might be high sodium. something to keep an eye on. How's your water intake?

Watch out for those fat free cheese. Most of those have fillers that actually aren't even SBD friendly - starches and sugars. I gained about 30 lbs during the low fat 80s when everything was fat free and full of crap

Finally patience may just be a big part of this. You've been up and down so much the last few years it might just take a little longer for your body to catch-on. No matter what you are doing something really good for your body. The weight loss will catch-up, especially when you're watching those serving sizes.

ETA - just looked at the new menus you posted. a couple of quick suggestions FWIW-
*less protein and some veggies and even beans with breakfast. measure that olive oil!
*you had 3 grains in one day. that could easily be way too much and could be slowing you down. I'd back it down to 1 or 2 for awhile and see how you do. Fill that space with more veggies (and beans )

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Unless the scale you just weighed yourself on is the same one you used 5 weeks ago, don't despair yet. Try and weigh only on the one scale, they can vary so much. It doesn't even matter if the gym one is a bit out (although it shouldn't be) on your actual weight, what you need to know is how much on it you've lost, not how much another scale says you weigh.

Can you get up to the gym? It could be a good 'surprise'!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #6  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Mel, well done for sharing this! It is quite sad that you haven't lost very much but the important thing is that you are in the game! You are fed up about your weight and you wanna do something about it! And i totally support you for that girl! I know it can be hard i went through times of great discouragement but i always thought to myself... what other option do i have, to get fatter and fatter... that makes me so depressed that i just don't wanna live so i would do whatever it takes to get better, yeah even if it means that i wait for as long as my body takes to drop off the fat! yeah even if it means that i have to stop eating certain foods and in certain way, even if i have to go to gym. And it has taken me 3 months for not yet a stone but the way i see it is if i make the effort then one day i will be one pound less.

i don't know much about SBD so i can't tell you about the regime and all, but i totally support you emotionally, and i can tell you that one day you are gonna look back and think so glad i did that! And work on positive eating habits because that lasts for life! My new habit that i am working on eating slowly and really enjoying food!

I never enjoyed food, i hated it coz it made me fat, i ate it with anger and depression coz i used to binge on it! I never ate it with real happiness and gratitude. Today I do, just for this day I do and i don't care what happens to the weight because i strongly believe that weight will come off and i can keep new habits for longer, that is the harder bit!

Hold on Mel, this too shall pass, you are not alone )) BIG HUGS xxx
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Mel, I'm with Cyndi...
Try only 1 grain a day or maybe skip a couple of days of grains.
I found that really helped me and it's something I still do. I go a few days between grains now without even realizing it. Hit the veggies harder and tons of water. I try to maybe do 3 grains a week or sometimes less. Grains are kind of the "bottom rung" of my eating. Veggies first, then fruit, then grains at the bottom.
The 3lbs is great and if you feel it in your clothes, you ARE losing weight. I go only by my clothes and actually have no idea what I weigh.
Once you begin exercising, you may just feel a whooooosh!!!

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #8  
Healthy mommy

Rosinante, good idea! I should check my gym's scale.

Thanks you guys! I appreciate it all so very much. I read this earlier and took it all in and then changed my menu for today completely based on your advice. I was going to have leftover thai curry chicken over leftover brown rice but instead, I chucked out the rice, and used my new food scale to measure out a 3 oz portion of chicken. I was SHOCKED to see what a 3oz portion of chicken actually looks like. I have DEFINITELY been overdoing the protein. I always thought my protein portions were appropriate but I've definitely been overeating it. I appreciate you guys pointing that out. So I ended up having 3oz of chicken and I filled up a huge bowl with yummy greens and seasoned it with only vinegar, garlic, and pepper. No oil. I'll have a teaspoon of oil with dinner, which after writing this I'm going to go plan out based on your suggestions you guys gave me here. :-)

Hope for recovery, thanks for your emotional support and for sharing your story! And you are doing so well! :-)

CyndiM and Femmecreole, you guys are totally right about the grains. I was trying to ease into grains slowly at first, and then I became way too comfortable and starting adding more and more grains without really paying attention to it as I should have. I feel grains don't agree with me too well and I like the idea of skipping a few days without them or having one grain a day. Cyndi I checked my Kraft fat-free cheese and saw potato starch in the ingredients! Yuck and yikes! I'm grocery shopping Wednesday so I am going to go on a hunt for a better quality low fat cheese. I love Cabot brand but I am not sure if it has that yucky starch in it or not, so I'll check. I will definitely keep an eye on my sodium intake, another thing I wasn't paying much attention to but will do so from now on.

Also beans & veggies in the morning sounds like a plan! That's a great suggestion, one I will definitely follow through with! I'm going to plan for some beans with some greens tomorrow morning.

Plus after lunch I've been doing some strengthening exercises with my weights. I better go check out the exercise thread as well!

Thanks again you guys. I feel 100% better.

Oh and I'm throwing out the whole wheat SF cake I made! I want some greek yogurt and grapes instead. lol :-)

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

very thinly sliced cabbage makes a great base for saucy dishes. I just steam it quickly, sometimes add a little meal appropriate seasoning like garlic and spoon my food over it. It's surprisingly mild and holds the sauce well. It's also very filling

Keep on keeping on Mel. I have a feeling you have a whoosh coming your way.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Melanie,just a thought, but how about instead of buying fat free cheese, use regular mozzarella and/or parmesan. Just use it sparingly and not every day. I hate that FF junk. When I have cheese, I want the real thing.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

Yum! Sounds good, guys!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Mel, I go by waist measurements anymore. Way more accurate for me than my scale.

Or as Dr. Pamela Peeke calls it, my pant-o-meter.

Last edited by murphmitch; 08-02-2010 at 09:44 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #13  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Thank you too Mel, only through sharing we can grow, also I am like this with the grains, I just should not eat them if I want to lose weight because this is how I lost some weight before my SBD. And I rather stay low on them as much as I can. I do fear how my diet is going to go as I am going on a 3 weeks holiday in September and those people live on carbs. I think i am aiming at maintaining rather than losing. But I shall focus just on today for now
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #14  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like you found some solutions here! This will be a great thread for new SBDers to stumble upon.

I count my calories w/ SBD. Its been working great!
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

My mom is kind of in the same boat as you. She is not happy that she hasn't lost more on Southbeach BUT she also hadn't been weighed in over a year and there's no telling how much weight she had gained in that time. But her clothes are fitting much better and she's wearing a pair of shorts she hasn't worn in 3 years...so it's obvious that she's losing weight, even if the scale doesn't show it like she wants it to.

Congratulations on your loss so far...and the women here have given you great advice (and OMG, I am just HORRIFIED about the fat free cheeses!!!). I'm sure in no time you'll be seeing the numbers you want to see.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote