General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #1  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Default Fiber Question

I've been tracking my foods on dailyplate and have noticed I am SIGNIFICANTLY low on my daily fiber intake. It suggests I have about 25g a day. In the last two weeks, my highest day was only 9g. I'm going to start adding high fiber foods to my diet, but I think I still need a supplement. Any suggestions on a CHEAP (since i'm unemployed) but good (preferably tasty...maybe a pill or chewable that you don't have to mix with water) fiber supplements?

Also, for those of you who take fiber supplements, have you noticed a change in your regularity? I know it's supposed to regulate your bowel movements...but mine are already pretty regular. This won't make me crap all the time will it? (Sorry for the vulgarity...but I actually toned down my sailor mouth a lot :0 ).

Thanks, ladies!!
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #2  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I know you don't want something that you mix with water, but I've been taking Benefiber Orange. It's delicious, but so far I'm not noticing a lot of change in my regularity.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #3  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

If you are already regular, why would you want to take something? The online dietary guidelines cannot know more about you than you do.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3

Try flax seed . It's cheaper then the brand name supplements and you can throw it into foods to up their fiber.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

They are suggesting 25 g of fiber from food, so try to get what you need there to get the benefits of fiber when it comes to weight loss. The good news is many high fiber foods are really inexpensive. Oatmeal, barley, legumes (if you don't have time to cook dried beans, canned are ready to use. Nuts and dried fruit good sources as well but pricier.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #6  

1/2 cup of fiber one cereal gives 14 grams of fiber at breakfast. Fruits and vegetables make up the rest for me.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #7  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Whole, natural foods supply fiber. I get at least 35 grams a day, easily, just from eating beans and green vegetables!

Fiber has other health benefits besides regulating the bowels, so it's good to hear that you want to up your intake.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I do an egg wrap every morning using Mission Carb Balance wraps. They have 21 g of fiber in them. Then I try to pack in a lot of veggies at lunch time. Also, whole grains have fiber. I have been eating barley lately - it is quite tasty! Some days, I get as much as 40 g of fiber. I poop like a champ!

Whatever you do - add fiber GRADUALLY and drink plenty of water!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote