Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #1  
A Male Species

Default Question about wheat. Is it really wheat wheat? or just wheat?

OK so I am taking note of fibre foods as a way of breaking down slowly and good for not feeling too full.

My question is we are suppose to eat WHOLEwheat gains right?

So when it is labelled wheat. Is this Wholewheat? Or just wheat?

Is wheatflour wholewheat or just wheat?

Kinda confusing?
Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This might help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_grain

Basically look for whole wheat. Although advertising on the package itself usually isn't helpful, things that are 100% whole grain generally say it on the outside but always look over the ingredients.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If it says 100% Whole Wheat , I would trust that, if it says Wheat Bread it probably is not 100% Whole Wheat.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #4  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I agree- wheat bread is generally not a "whole" food. Go for the 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain breads, and as stated above- always check the ingredients... you'd be suprised what is lurking in there! Food for life has many very nutritional breads... and if you ask them they will send coupons ;0)
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #5  
Just Me

Well in general, bread is still a processed product. My favorite breads are the sprouted grain ones. I accept that they are processed but they are a lot less processed than other breads out there.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/160/150

Height: 5'8

Hi Nelie,
I eat sprouted bread as well and love it! Recently found sprouted burger buns and make portabella mushroom burgers. Recently however I have been very careful with soy products. I have been trying to avoid any soy products that are not fermented b/c of possible links to cancer and fertility problems. Well my question is do you know anything about soy lecithin? and does the sprouted bread that you use have that in it? That is one of the ingredients in my sprouted bread. I just seems like soy is everywhere! as well as corn, but that's a wnole other discussion.
Thanks!
Natasha629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #7  
A Male Species

You I think I am gained weight from eating bread this week. Although it is wholemeal bread. It is processed bread. Processed bread is bad for you as reading the ingredients there are alot of chemicals put in the bread.

So now I am stuck for good fibre. I don;'t trust wholemeal bread no more as 90% of it is processed with added chemicals.
Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #8  
Just Me

Natasha - I haven't seen any unbiased links to soy and cancer or fertility issues. I think soy in moderation is fine and the research I've read has backed that up. I don't eat soy on a daily basis and try to eat a varied diet.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #9  
I WILL make it!

S/C/G: 220/186/160

Height: 5'8 ~ 51 years

This is true...I have made my own sprouted or soaked wheat bread (ground fresh) fro about 5 years and the only ingred. besides the whole wheat that you need to make great bread is water, yeast, honey, oil and maybe vital gluten (which comes from wheat) and dough enhancer (I make my own with vit. c, lecithen and ginger, cornstarch and powdered milk) So don't be fooled into thinking what is a good bread....look at the ingredients. Your best bet is buying some good bread from your local health food store.
countryhomeschoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #10  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I really enjoyed this article on breads.

Baffled by Bread? How to Choose the Best Loaf
Plus Our Top Picks for Whole Wheat Breads
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...es.asp?id=1215
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim View Post
You I think I am gained weight from eating bread this week. Although it is wholemeal bread. It is processed bread. Processed bread is bad for you as reading the ingredients there are alot of chemicals put in the bread.

So now I am stuck for good fibre. I don;'t trust wholemeal bread no more as 90% of it is processed with added chemicals.
There are lots of foods besides bread/grains that have fiber - most particularly fruits and vegetables.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote