Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #1  

Default Car accident

I was in a pretty bad car accident on my way home from vacation.

I was rear-ended by a giant SUV so hard that the seat I was sitting in broke. My car was totaled, and I had only had it for a few months. I don't have any broken bones, thank goodness, but my body is really, really sore.

I was really, really proud of the way I ate on vacation and really motivated. My family was taking care of me for a couple of days after the accident, and they fed me starchy food and little quality protein. I've gained a few pounds but I'm not sure if it's from the vacation or from the sudden lack of activity and the excess carbs.

The depression is setting in pretty bad. This is another in a series of bad things that have been happening to me over the past couple years. It feels like any time I get anything good in my life, something happens to take it away.

Can I have some hugs guys? I need some encouragement to keep going.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #2  
If I can; YOU Can!

S/C/G: 292/Ticker/175 height: 5'9

Height: 5'9

Ohhh no! So sorry to hear that! Focus on getting well first then you can get back to losing weight again hunny. Car accidents are no joke. You need rest!!!
Scilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #3  

I am so sorry that happened to you . He/she must have been going pretty fast to break your seat and they are entirely responsible. A few pounds is no biggie, what is most important right now is to make sure that you are doing ok from the accident. It must be so nice to your family to take care of you and I am sending you lots of positive, happy thoughts
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #4  

So sorry to hear about your accident! Glad to hear that you are ok. Thats the most important thing, Cars can be replaced and a few pounds can be re-lost. Dont get discouraged on your weightloss just jump right back on track and before you know it those few extra pounds will be gone. Lots of hugs to you, Hope you feel better soon!!!
pamepinto28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #5  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Lots and lots of hugs! You'll get through this and we'll all be pulling for you!
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #8  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Actually a car accident is what got me started on my new life. Two and a half years ago I was hit by a kid driving illegally on a restricted license who ran a red light while drag racing. My van was less than a year old, so his insurance company refused to total it saying that the damage had to be more than 75% of the value of the vehicle. They tried to say the accident was my fault (5 witnesses at the scene said otherwise in written statements to the police at the accident scene); they tried to tell me that I lied about the DVD player being broken in the accident (I had told the body shop to please check it because I was leaving a McDonald's with 2 large drinks in the cupholders, which exploded all over the DVD player); they told me that I wasn't smart enough to calculate diminished value and that the van hadn't lost any value (made to feel fat and stupid repeatedly). I was walking with a limp, couldn't turn my head without taking muscle relaxers, and couldn't carry my then 1 year old up the stairs to take a nap in her crib. Even a year later, the insurance company refused to believe that anything was wrong with the van (it leaked water on me every time it rained) and it just didn't run the same. After a year of arguing, I was severely depressed and in disbelief that the insurance industry seems to just be a bunch of crooks (they hinted that I should try to sell it without disclosing the accident history). The total to fix the van went well above the 75% threshhold.

Sorry for the book, but the gist of it is that I woke up one day depressed and thought "Why the h*ll am I letting this incident control my life?" I sold the van on Craigslist (complete with accident history and detailed lists of all that was damaged in the accident) and bought myself a cute, new car that fit my personality better anyway. Then I wrote a letter to the insurance company and said - this is how much my van was worth before the accident and this is how much I sold it for - you owe me the difference - and they paid it! I still lost on the deal, but not as much as I could have.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but just wanted you to know that I know what you're going through right now, and it will get better. Make sure you see a doctor if the pain doesn't lessen - you may need muscle relaxers - and the insurance company should pay for it. Besides, now you can get a new car that you'll look so cute in when you get to your goal

Oh, and don't trust the insurance company. Do your own research to determine the market value of your totaled car.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

So sorry to hear of your accident. I know exactly how you feel. I was an accident 3 weeks ago in which my car was totaled. It has left me with emotional trauma that I hope will go away soon. JUst live one day at a time and you will get through this. That is what people tell me and I am counting on that. Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #10  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I'm so sorry.

You will heal. And just think--a new car! (We had an accident with a jeep only 10 months old--our insurance settlement was generous--and we found a GREAT deal on another, new jeep, and so we made money off the accident. Maybe you will, too!)

Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #12  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are feeling better.
Once your body heals you will feel better.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/119/115

Feel better soon. It's just gonna take some time for your body to heal! Take it easy and don't worry about your weight right now. Eat as sensibly as you can, making healthy choices. Things will get better!
dilynnlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, Athena. When exactly did it happen? How many days have you been sore?

This past April Fool's Day, I was in an accident, too -- a van making a left turn hit me when I was on foot, crossing the street in a crosswalk. I wasn't hurt as much as I might have been, but I can relate to your feelings.

One thing I can tell you, I didn't feel as bad the following day, right after the accident, but I was incredibly sore two days later. There seemed to be a delayed reaction. But by the fourth day, I was feeling physically better, except for the obvious injuries.

I can tell you it will actually help if you try to stay limber. Go for a walk, if you're able. A long contemplative walk, with no pressure on yourself to "get exercise." Just to move your body & to get back in touch with it.

Mentally, it does a number on you. I felt ... violated. That sounds strong, doesn't it? But I was very angry. There I was, minding my own business, going about my routines, and there was this sudden unexpected interruption, a van hitting me, which I'd done nothing to bring upon myself. (Because that's what an accident is -- it's accidental. Not part of your bad luck. Just some random s**t happening.) Before that happened, I'd felt fairly safe in the world. And I'd felt pretty powerful, what with all the healthy living & exercise. And suddenly I was left feeling injured & vulnerable & very, very mortal, and this was psychologically upsetting in a way that far exceeded the physical injuries.

Are you okay with being out there in the world, like walking, as I've described? Are you okay with driving? Seriously: Check on yourself mentally. Your eating will become healthier as a consequence of your returning confidence about moving freely in the world. So I'd advise you put yourself back out there & get moving again, as much as you can, as the more you get your life out of this "pause" mode, the less you'll be eating comfort food & reverting back to older ways of making yourself feel better.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote