Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default Homemade shakes??

Hi everyone! I *really* want to hop on the Wonderslim bandwagon, but being a single mother, it's just NOT an option. I think I am confused though. I have been searching and searching, and I can only find homemade recipes for shakes to bulk up muscle, not ones to lose weight as actual meal replacements. I'm thinking that protein powder and milk does not equal wonderslim! LOL.

Any help? any suggestions?
DawnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/241/135

Height: 5'5"

bump
homeschoolmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 299/171/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey, homeschoolin' mom! Way to go. I have buddies from church who homeschool.

Anyway, since you "teach" , you know how to read and do math, so just do some research on what you can add to what solvent to get a reasonable facsimile of MediFast or Wonderslim. For folks used to cooking and divvying up portions, it's EASY.

The good thing about doing it yourself is you can avoid what you dont' want. WonderSlim has aspartame. Medifast (and Wonderslim products, some) use soy. I don't like either, eh...

So, figure out first the numbers on Wonderslim shakes (or whatever plan you wanna follow). That is, calories to carbs to protein to fat.

Don't worry about nutrients or fiber, as you can easily take a multivitamin and fiber supplement as needed. Those about everywhere. Wonderslim ain't high fiber, anyway. (Medifast provides a lot of fiber, though.)

Choose a solvent. I'd consider water and unsweetened low carb almond milk as good possibilities.

Consider a protein. I like BSN Lean Dessert--good flavor, affordable if you shop around online and find a sale (like on Drugstore dot com or Amazon dot com). Consider how many servings you get for what dollars.

If one is heavy in nutrients, you might be able to HALVE the scoop portion and get WonderSlim calorie/carb/protein/fat (or close) rations. Keep to lower carb options, obviously.

If you want to go even healthier and CHEAPER, buy the unflavored whey isolate, add your own flavors (extracts or actual chocolate, raw cacao, etc).

In other words, with water and flavaored protein mix OR with almond breeze and unflavored whey or other protein (almond breeze comes in vanilla and chocolate) and with your own sweetener, stevia or sucralose or whatever, you can devise your own protein shake equivalents that fit the WonderSlim parameters.

You just have to do your homework to find what works, what you can save on buying in larger cannisters, make the ratios work.

It's easy but time-consuming. But you can do it.

As far as the soups and snacks and stuff, that would mean more shopping around to see what low-carb options are similar and more affordable, or just make your own do-it-yourself (scour web for recipes for low carb soups with the profile). Make your own low-carb protein hot cakes. Etc.

It'll probably taste better than WonderSlim's if you do it to your taste, and STAY within the plan and numbers.

The place to start is by going to DietDirect's site, loooking at the products, looking at their diet plan in the pdf file link provided, cut and paste the nutrient profile for the main nutrients, and then find copycats or make copycats.
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #4  

Hi. I actually went and did some research remember that consumer reports article on contaminated proteins. BSN had heavy metals, as did some other popular ones. =

One of the best ones (no heavy metals) was SOLGAR WHEY TO GO, and I looked at the nutritionals on the macronutrients, and the ratios is so so so close to Wonderslim with 110 calories, 1/2 gram fat, 16 grams of protein, & 7 grams of carbs. And without having a bunch of fake stuff like WS or soy like MF.

I just ordered two for myself. If I like the flavor, this will be my shake of choice given the clean rating from Consumer Reports.

Worth adding to your research. At 16 servings per container (and the prices I saw ranged from 15 to 17 per 16 ounce cannister). So, about a buck a serving. Cheaper than WS and MF.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

I haven't tried one yet, but it is on the agenda for this weekend!!! Heading to SAm's Club tomorrow to pick up a pound of spinach!!
http://greenmonstermovement.com/
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #6  
sweetpoison

S/C/G: 224/230/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtika View Post
Hi. I actually went and did some research remember that consumer reports article on contaminated proteins. BSN had heavy metals, as did some other popular ones. =

One of the best ones (no heavy metals) was SOLGAR WHEY TO GO, and I looked at the nutritionals on the macronutrients, and the ratios is so so so close to Wonderslim with 110 calories, 1/2 gram fat, 16 grams of protein, & 7 grams of carbs. And without having a bunch of fake stuff like WS or soy like MF.

I just ordered two for myself. If I like the flavor, this will be my shake of choice given the clean rating from Consumer Reports.

Worth adding to your research. At 16 servings per container (and the prices I saw ranged from 15 to 17 per 16 ounce cannister). So, about a buck a serving. Cheaper than WS and MF.
Interesting....so BSN had heavy metals.... crap.... I have two containers and it does taste good.... Just how bad did it rate??? I am interested in the Solgar also... please let us know what it is like when you get it.

Thanks
vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #7  

I bought 2 Solgar Whey To Go cannisters (small size, in case I hated it).

I love them. Not everyone might, cause they really are VERY VERY LIGHT in flavor, meaning, watery, not milk-shakey. THIS is why I love them precisely. Mixes super easy (no stickers, no floaters) in my shaker cup. The vanilla is a truly pleasant real vanilla sort of flavor, discreet. The texture (I mix with water) is quite thin and goes down fast and easy. It's perfect for mixing, as it's not jacked up with stuff, so it won't seriously affect the flavor of a smoothie.

I will rebuy.

I don't like the fakey tasting, unnaturally thickened "shakes" type of drinks. I just want to drink my protein and go, not linger. I take this and then take fiber pills and water and I'm good. Since I take vitamins with meals, anyway, I don't worry about additives put into WS or MF shakes. Taking a multivitamin or other supplmements takes care of the RDA+.

For 70 calories per scoop and a lot of protein. Yes. 70. I could have 1 1/2 scoops for only 105 calories and get 24 grams of protein (more than WS) and only 1.5 carbs. Less than 1 g of fat. Fabulous numbers. And not super pricey.

Oh, you can easily read the results of the CR report yourself. Just look at my link (I forget where I posted it) or do a google on it . A bunch of blogs and sites reported on that.

Last edited by Mirtika; 07-28-2010 at 06:02 PM.