Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Exclamation Need input on caloric intake, realistic goal weight etc. Thanks!!

Hi everyone! I am 6'2" and currently weigh 351 lbs. I am down from 380. I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on a good and realistic goal weight. I know that every body is different and what is a good goal weight for one person at a certain height isn't necessarily good for others. I just want some input...

In highschool, I suffered from severe anorexia and got down to about 150 lbs. I was extremely fit and had lots of muscle weight because of my involvement in dance and volleyball. My fat percentage was negligible. I lost my period and was extremely unhealthy. I looked like a skeleton, Since I am now 27 and have been away from any muscle building and maintaining activities (which means my muscles should weigh a little less...) I was thinking that I could possibly shoot for something around 165-180 and be fine. I could be way off the mark here and shooting for a goal that won't be healthy. Please let me know your honest opinions on whether or not I should even put something as low as 165 as a long term goal.

Also, since my eating and dieting habits have never been that great, I am looking for some input on caloric intake. I have been trying to stay between 1200 and 1400 calories a day and have been able to do so for the past month. I will let myself go above that but try not to break 1700 and will NOT go above 2000. Also, on the other hand, I try not to eat less than 1000 and will NOT go below 700 calories in a day (on those days when I really am not hungry at all... not very many of these) Can any of you let me know what your thoughts are on my caloric intake? I feel like I am on the mark right ow but know logically that I am not the healthiest person when it comes to dieting so I want to check with y'all to see if I am on the right track. I have lost about 30 lbs in the past 4 weeks and I am feeling energized by it!

Any thoughts, opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by southernbelle102; 07-28-2010 at 02:46 AM.
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #2  

Thirty pounds in 4 weeks???? WOWZA!!!! That takes me four MONTHS. It seems like 180 is a good goal weight for you right now, that puts you in the lower range of a healthy BMI.

As for calories, at your weight I would recommend upping them a little bit or maybe calorie cycling? But if you feel satisfied and full and are getting all your nutrients and vitamins from your foods, keep doing what you're doing! Sometimes we tend to focus on calories a little too much and forget about all the wonderful things food has to offer(I include myself in this too). For example, I have an iron deficiency so I'll sneak a little red meat in or have some extra spinach or kale at the end of the day

And I am sorry about your eating disorder . I too have suffered from an eating disorder(still kind of do) and I know how painful it is and what an absolute **** it is. I am glad you are moving past it
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #3  

Thanks! Yeah, I think 180 will probably be a good long term goal... I guess I can re-evaluate once I get there and see if I am satisfied and can also ask others if they think I look done or like I could lose more.

I know... eating disorders stink!! In college, I conquered the anorexia only to fall into bulimia and after that, I traded in bulimia for binge eating. It feels like I will never truly be free from an eating disorder of some sort. I am hoping that this time will be different. It will be the start of a healthier lifestyle for me. I know that I will always suffer from disordered thoughts about food, but I hope to be able to rid myself of the habits.

Good luck to you as well!! Take Care!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #4  

hello i live at spain and had wls 6 years ago,i was at 460 lbs got down to 220 lbs but gained after accident,i was 2 years without exercise,i am on protein shakes,3 per day they have 250 calories each which is 750 calories a day plus some watermelon that i eat less than 1000 calories a day for sure,is that to low?i exercise monday thru friday aquarunning 45 min cant walk because of knees alot of pain,had total knee replacement on left knee did not bend more than 80 degrees,i am not losing weight thats why i want to know if i should eat more,thank you rota spain
cristinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #5  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I think perhaps 1200-1400 calories is a bit low for you? 30 lbs in 4 weeks is a lot of weight to have lost. Of course it could be just because you're just starting out, some people lose lots of weight in the beginning. If it were me (so this is just my unprofessional opinion) I would try calorie cycling, eating 1200 one day, 1600 another day, 1800 another day. I know that at 5'4" and 215 lbs I can typically eat 1400-1600 calories a day (with no exercise) and lose 1-2 lbs a week, which is pretty universally accepted as a safe and sustainable rate of loss. Just keep in mind that if you can't see yourself eating that number of calories every day long term then it's probably not going to work in the long run.

As for your goal, I honestly think 180 sounds kind of low even, but then I don't know your specific body type or preference for how you look. Now obviously this is going to be a different situation, but I have a friend who is 6' and she looks fit and trim at about 195 lbs. She has a problem seeing such high numbers on the scale tho, so if she doesn't have friends to help her out and bring her back to reality, she tends to get a little crazy and overdo it in her quest to be thin. So maybe enlisting the help of some friends (or a doctor even) to help you realize when you really look like you want to would be something to think about. Especially with a history of eating disorders, it's important to have a realistic vision of yourself in your head at all times.

And I understand what you're going through with a history of eating disorders. I was once down to 85 lbs and quite emaciated myself. Looking back it's hard to understand how it got out of control like it did, but I know it's just a couple of steps from trying to lose weight healthily. It can be hard to get out of those old disordered thinking habits, but it's worth it to try. Therapy helped me at one point (can't afford it now or I'd still be going). So good luck to you on getting healthy!
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

This is just a 'generalization' but here are some formulas that I've read that seem reasonable to me.

Figure your goal weight by your height: for 5 feet, you add 100 lbs, and for every inch over 5 ft, add 5 lbs per inch. So if you're 6'2", That's 100 + (14 x 5) = 170.

For calories to lose weight to that goal weight: mulitply goal weight x 10. So, 1700 calories for you.

Sounds very reasonable to me. And very similar to what you've already figured out.

Good luck to you. You can do it !
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Princess View Post
I think perhaps 1200-1400 calories is a bit low for you? 30 lbs in 4 weeks is a lot of weight to have lost. Of course it could be just because you're just starting out, some people lose lots of weight in the beginning. If it were me (so this is just my unprofessional opinion) I would try calorie cycling, eating 1200 one day, 1600 another day, 1800 another day. I know that at 5'4" and 215 lbs I can typically eat 1400-1600 calories a day (with no exercise) and lose 1-2 lbs a week, which is pretty universally accepted as a safe and sustainable rate of loss. Just keep in mind that if you can't see yourself eating that number of calories every day long term then it's probably not going to work in the long run.

As for your goal, I honestly think 180 sounds kind of low even, but then I don't know your specific body type or preference for how you look. Now obviously this is going to be a different situation, but I have a friend who is 6' and she looks fit and trim at about 195 lbs. She has a problem seeing such high numbers on the scale tho, so if she doesn't have friends to help her out and bring her back to reality, she tends to get a little crazy and overdo it in her quest to be thin. So maybe enlisting the help of some friends (or a doctor even) to help you realize when you really look like you want to would be something to think about. Especially with a history of eating disorders, it's important to have a realistic vision of yourself in your head at all times.

And I understand what you're going through with a history of eating disorders. I was once down to 85 lbs and quite emaciated myself. Looking back it's hard to understand how it got out of control like it did, but I know it's just a couple of steps from trying to lose weight healthily. It can be hard to get out of those old disordered thinking habits, but it's worth it to try. Therapy helped me at one point (can't afford it now or I'd still be going). So good luck to you on getting healthy!
Hi there! Thanks so much for your input! I think that the 30 lb loss in 1 month is definitely because I am just starting out. I am hoping to be able to maintain a 15 lb weight loss per month from here on out (I know that this may not happen and some months will be better and some worse). Also, I know that that is still a little fast but I have so much to lose that I am hoping to get a huge jump start then eventually start adding more calories into my diet until I get to where I feel I can realistically maintain what I am eating forever. I think that having my calories so low right now is just giving me that little push to get me really on a good start (where weight loss #'s are concerned).

At my height, when I weigh anything under 200, I look fine. I just happen to prefer the more "thin look" that 180 and below gives my frame. And, if I ca get there in a healthy manner, I really think it will be okay. I will definitely take your advise about asking others how I look. I know that often times we can't see the reality of the situation as well as outsiders can. Also, a lot of my friends went through my worst times with my anorexia with me. I know they would never let me get to an unhealthy place again without a fight. I love my friends! I have an amazing therapist as well. I don't see her much right now, but if she thought I was not being healthy she would definitely let me know as well. We have dealt with my eating issues for YEARS!

I will definitely thin about calorie cycling... that sounds like a neat plan.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
This is just a 'generalization' but here are some formulas that I've read that seem reasonable to me.

Figure your goal weight by your height: for 5 feet, you add 100 lbs, and for every inch over 5 ft, add 5 lbs per inch. So if you're 6'2", That's 100 + (14 x 5) = 170.

For calories to lose weight to that goal weight: mulitply goal weight x 10. So, 1700 calories for you.

Sounds very reasonable to me. And very similar to what you've already figured out.

Good luck to you. You can do it !
Thanks for the input and support!! Those formulas help a lot!