General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

Default Confused about calories and exercise?

Hey everyone! I usually lurk and haven't posted much here, everyone gives such great advice and tips! I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm sort of the person who likes structured plans. I need to know how many calories to have and how much exercise to get. I weigh 280 and I'm 5'0. I used a calculator for my metabolic rate and it said to lose weight I need to eat about 2,200 calories. I think I don't even eat that much on a normal day unless I have fast food.

I counted calories back in May for nearly a month, and only lost 4 pounds. I ate 1,400 a day. I know 4 pounds is good for a month, but since I weigh so much and it was my first month, I expected to lose a lot more I guess, so I gave up. I didn't exercise though.

What do you think would be a good amount of calories to start off with? How often should I exercise, and do I eat more calories on the days I exercise? Thanks!
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm all for calorie counting, because I believe it's the best way to lose weight without going wacko trying to eliminate particular foods. I don't eliminate anything -- I just stick to a certain calorie level, and that seems to be the only kind of structure I can stand. If that's not enough structure for you, you might be able to find a planned diet that incorporates the right number of calories for you or you can add some healthy foods to an established diet if you need more calories.

I think we definitely tend to underestimate our calorie counts unless we're really really careful about measuring and counting everything, so you may be eating more calories than you'd think on a regular day, and the 2200 might actually work for you. Or you could start with 2000 and see what happens after a few weeks. Right now I'm trying to stay under 1800 and when I stick to that I lose 1-2 pounds a week, sometimes more.

As for eating more on days you exercise, that just depends on how your body feels, I think. If you're doing moderate exercise and not doing anything terribly strenuous, you may want to just keep your calorie level the same. I just think of exercise as a boost to the calorie burning and I don't generally like to add those calories back. The only times I've needed to eat more were when I was in much better shape and was doing very long runs (I'm talking 10 miles or more here). I simply needed more fuel then. If you're doing a bit of walking and you have enough energy to do it, then I'd say don't eat more.

Good luck with whatever plan you decide on!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote