South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #1  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Default Which South Beach Book??

Hi, I've been doing a bit of research into the South Beach Diet over the past few days. Basically, a few months ago, hubby was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I'm in need of losing weight (around 60-70lbs), which mostly hangs out around my mid-section ... not good, I know!! After reading much about the SB Diet, I think it seems like one of the most sensible plans to follow for both of us. I understand that hubby, being diabetic, should not do phase 1, but as he doesn't really need to lose weight anyway (just me!!), I'm thinking that the general idea of the plan would be good for him to follow once I've completed this phase myself.

I've checked out all the SB Books that are available at Amazon, and there are so many of them that now I'm totally confused as to which one I should purchase I'm guessing that many of them are just updated copies of the same thing. But I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction and advise me which one I should be getting.

I'm going on holiday on Thursday, just for 1 week, and I really want to get the book ordered before I go away so that I've got it for when I return. I can't wait to get started ... I'm really excited about it!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Nichola! There are many books about the South Beach Diet on the market, but only two really go into depth about how this plan works and explains the fundamentals. I would get the South Beach Supercharged book, it's the same as the original SBD book, but has the updated food lists for each plan and goes into detail how to introduce Phase II, and also has some exercise suggestions.
This is also an excellent plan for your DH to follow, with his diabetes, and you can easily include some Phase II foods for him while you are following Phase I.

Good luck, and we look forward to getting to know you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #3  

Hi Nichola, I'm not new to the site, but I'm new to this woe - the South Beach Diet. .

I've been lurking on here and I started SBD on July 7th. I've been in Phase 1 and will continue until the end of the month and have lost 13.2 pounds. I have a real sugar addiction issue, but this food plan has been miraculous for me.

Like cottagebythesea, I recommend getting the book South Beach Diet Supercharged. It's the latest one and is a more well-rounded book than the original, because an exercise plan is included.

I'll be heading into Phase 1.5 on August 1.

Wishing you all the best, Dee

Last edited by deesharee; 07-25-2010 at 07:58 AM.
deesharee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191.5/191.5/165

HI

What do you mean Phase 1.5?
beth0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth0811 View Post
HI

What do you mean Phase 1.5?
We usually refer to the first few weeks after finishing Phase I as 1.5, as you're gradually adding some starches back into your menu. We usually recommend adding one thing in at a time (fruit or grain), then waiting a week or so to add another item to see if you experience cravings, etc. with the food.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #6  

Thanks for the advice. I've gone ahead and ordered the SBD Supercharged book, and also some of the other SBD Recipe books. As I love to cook from scratch, I thought they'd be a good investment in the long term ... which is what this plan is going to be for me and hubby
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Nichola. I decided to go with South Beach for exactly the same reason My DW is diabetic and I'd been cooking this way for 7 years but adding potatoes or pasta for me. It just fit our eating habits perfectly and I really wasn't going to pick something that required two different meals all the time Turned out this is the perfect eating pattern for me too, I just didn't know I had such a problem with processed carbs until I got off them.

There are lots of great recipes right here on this forum and we are always looking for new ones so please share if you discover something great
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #8  

Thanks Cyndi - I'm away on holiday next week, but as soon as I get back home I'll be starting Phase I, and I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like everybody gave you some really good advice. There are several recipes here on the site that I've used way more than the recipes in the actual book...so take advantage of them as well. Good luck to you and your husband!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote