Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #1  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Question Body Fat Scales?

I'm in the market for a scale. Currently I just weigh myself at the gym on a Dr's scale (which I can tell is off, since the thing isn't even balanced when I'm not on it) or at people's houses.

What's up with the scales that show % of body fat? How does it know? Is it really accurate or worth the extra money?

For some reason I have it in my mind the only way to accurately measure body fat is to be in a displacement tank? I know they have those things at the gym and I have used them in the past but I've heard that they can be impacted by all kinds of factors.

Any recomendations for a great scale? I don't think we really have room for a Dr's scale so really looking for the other type. Thanks!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I've heard the scale ones are not reliable at all. Apparently it's difficult to actually detect the real percentage of body fat.

Mine has said I've had 33% body fat from 194 down to 166 pounds this whole time. I'm not really sure what it can calculate against other than my height.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #3  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

The scales do the calculation sending an electric pulse through your feet (you do not feel it) and based on the time it takes to get back, considering your height age and weight it, it derives the number. Super accurate, no, but I do believe that is exactly what the hand held body fat machines do that doctors use. My scale does water percentage and muscle, each one has its own algorithmic science behind it. I would like to believe its close... but perhaps I'm being defensive because I WANT to believe my scale lol. I would ask a professional who is not biased.... guess I should as well.
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #4  

I have one at the house, it will require me to key in my gender, and height, then let me step on it while barefoot, then gives me my weight and the body fat percentage.

I guess this gadget gives a fair estimate, but not really accurate.
olivia39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I have one that gives you your body fat percentage, water and all that too. The % has decreased as I've lost weight so while it's probably not super accurate, it gives me something to go buy. Was worth the extra money but it wasn't really that much more expensive anyway.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote