Old 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #1  
If I can; YOU Can!

S/C/G: 292/Ticker/175 height: 5'9

Height: 5'9

Question Why can't I see it?

When I look in the mirror I almost always see what I looked like at 292lbs... It's insane.... Once in a while I'll see the slimmer me. I guess it's a mind set from seeing myself so big for that long? It's really noticeable cause I got bones now && I'm in way smaller size clothes. I'm just having an off day I guess.
Scilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #2  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I think its normal. Especially if you have been overweight for years. You just get used to the reflection in the mirror. It also could be a mild case of body dysmorphic disorder, but I do think its pretty normal. I have the opposite problem, I can't ever see myself in the mirror for the size I REALLY am. I see myself as smaller, until I see myself in pictures. :P
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scilla View Post
When I look in the mirror I almost always see what I looked like at 292lbs... It's insane.... Once in a while I'll see the slimmer me. I guess it's a mind set from seeing myself so big for that long? It's really noticeable cause I got bones now && I'm in way smaller size clothes. I'm just having an off day I guess.
I'm this way too. But when I see pictures of me at my highest weight and then look at myself in the mirror - I see the difference.

I don't know if this has any truth but my friend told me two days ago it takes yourself about 6 months to adjust to a new body image...
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It's totally normal....on my weird days I still can see myself at 286 in the mirror. When I get that way I look at my side-by-side before and after (or when I was losing it was a before & current pic)...it'll help!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #5  
If I can; YOU Can!

I've looked at pics of me when I weighed that much and said Ohh my.. gawd.. and pics of me now. And theres a huge difference. I guess I need to do a better job of reminding myself of those side by sides of pics when I look in the mirror.....
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yeah, we all get days like that, especially early on. What I used to do? I grabbed an old skirt and tried it on. There was no mistaking it at that point - I had lost weight - and lots of it.

Quite the journey, isn't it???
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I can see the difference between then and now but I can also see that I am still fat while before I *knew* I was fat but didn't really see it.

I think now I am about the fat I was "seeing" (in my mind but not with my eyes) before when I was 60 pounds fatter. That's a terrible sentence but I bet you guys know what I mean....
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Yep, me too. I have to look at pictures to see the difference. Even then it does not seem like such a big difference. I still see so much fat. However, if I stop and think, I remember how I FELT. That is where I can tell the big difference!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
I can see the difference between then and now but I can also see that I am still fat while before I *knew* I was fat but didn't really see it.

I think now I am about the fat I was "seeing" (in my mind but not with my eyes) before when I was 60 pounds fatter. That's a terrible sentence but I bet you guys know what I mean....
This is me, too. I honest to god didn't look in a mirror or at a picture past about 180 lbs--I even averted my eyes from glass doors. So it wasn't until I got under that weight that things started to look better.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #10  
On my way!

Height: 5'6"

I do the same thing. I have to look at the progress pics I've taken so far and put them side by side to see a difference.
musestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #11  
If I can; YOU Can!

I suppose what also makes me feel bad is that my husband is so skinny && I still see FAT. Ughhh.. I'm so extremely happy with what I've achieved so far. And yet I'm not.... I'm happily UNhappy.. haha
Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

If you figure it out, please let me know. I still see 330 pounds most times when I am looking in a mirror.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #13  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

I'm just looking forward to having an "after". Right now, I'm still at "before"!

No matter what all of you are seeing today, congratulations on your progress!

Last edited by doingmybest; 07-24-2010 at 01:54 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW: 295/218/160

Height: 5'8''

I totally agree with you that the body and mind and mirror are sometimes totally not in sync. When I was 295 pounds, I never looked in the mirror and thought I was maybe too heavy. Now, 65 pounds lighter, I am horrified! I want to be much better. It's just processing and realizing how we really are and adjusting to it that's hard.

It might just take a while for your eyes to register that they're looking at a different person, because you are. You've become someone who cares about herself. When you see old you in the mirror, look again and see new you. It took a lot of work to get there. Stare til it IS real. You did that. Almost 100 pounds is amazing. Own it, girl.
jennynyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

My best friend showed me a picture of something the other night on her iPhone. Well I started scrolling through the pictures and stopped on one of them. I thought well, she's been 'home' to Costa Rica like 4 times already this year, maybe that is someone from CR. Then after studying the picture more, I realized it had to be her other friend who I had met once before. But as I looked at the surrounding of the picture, I realized it was really familiar, the girl was ME! how could I not recognize myself??? That girl looked thin! I honest to God did not recognize myself.

I am way more critical of myself now than I was at 260 pounds! The fat now bothers me, it repulses and disgusts me, whereas before I didn't care. Everytime I go through my clothes and start getting rid of stuff that is just way too big, I always keep items thinking I can still wear it but then get it on and it floats and makes me look sloppy. I can't see me for who I really am now!! So yes I relate as well!
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote