Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #1  
Taking care of me.

Default Step 1 - get help

Hello everyone. I think I've posted in this forum once or twice before but mostly I just lurk.

Life is gettting challenging again. Went to a new doctor about a month and a half ago and let's just say she won't win any bedside manner awards. When she asked how I found her, I told her that the clinic's website listed her as specializing in diabetes and HBP; she said she was going to make sure the site was changed so she didn't get anymore of "these" kinds of patients. Yes I am looking for another doctor. Not only do I not like the doctor, all my numbers are horrible: triglycerides (sp?), blood sugars and A1c, blood pressure, and pretty much every other thing they tested with blood and urine.

Add to that the depression is getting worse. I'm crying pretty much every morning before I go to work and when I get to work I'm pretty much miserable all day long. But then again, the atmosphere at work is frustrating for most of us right now. I'm not sleeping well and when I wake up in the morning, I'm usually just as tired as when I went to bed. I would say I'm isolating but I've been/felt isolated all my life. This is all too eerily familiar to what ended up being a nervous breakdown for me 10 years ago and I CAN'T GO THRU THAT AGAIN!!!

BUT I took step one and made an appointment yesterday to see a psychiatrist on 7-31. That's the earliest I could get in. It's going to be expensive because she is not in my insurance provider's network but she came highly recommened. The first time I called, her assistant said she wasn't taking new patients. After spending about two frustrating hours on the insurance provider's website trying to find a doctor, I called back to see if she would give me a referral to another doctor. The assistant asked how I heard about her and when I told her who recommended her she said "You should have told me that the first time you called. She'll see you. I'll call you back in 30 minutes to set up an appt." At the time she was riding in the car with the doctor. One of the people that recommened her has been her friend, and worked with her, for years. Sometimes it really is who you know.

Hopefully I'm off on the right track and she will be someone I can work with.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Hey Marcia,
Congrats on taking that first step, its always the hardest. I hope you feel better soon. This is a very bumpy twisty road we are on.
Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Congrats for taking that first step! I know how hard it can be to do that. I, too, have suffered the double whammy of depression and needing to lose weight. I found that seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist really does help, if you find the right one. I wish all the best of luck to you!!
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #4  
american girl

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'9''

Congratulations on getting help. That's a HUGE first step and I am so glad that you took it. ::HUGS::
bailunrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Sorry about that first doc. Some just don't have "people skills". I have found many times that some of them are geniuses who are so wrapped up in what they do that the don't know how to talk to people, but I can deal with that if they are helping me. After all, I don't want to have them over for dinner or be their friend, I just want help. My pdoc right now is okay, but she's not exactly warm and fuzzy. But then again, some of them are just idiots. Good riddance!

Congrats on getting the appt. for the new doc and yes, sometimes it is about who you know and that's a good thing. Good docs are hard to find. I know from experience. If this one is good, she will be able to help. You may not find the right med right away, but don't give up. Again, if this doc is good, she won't give up either. She can probably also help with your sleep issue. It could be that you just aren't getting enough "good" sleep so you're not really getting any rest. You could have sleep apnea (which many overweight people have, trust me I have it) or you may just need something like Ambien or Lunesta to help you get to that deeper sleep. Either way, this new doc should address that issue as well.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!!
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote