Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Default How do I get back?...

well, about 6 weeks ago I started counting my calories & adding (slowly) exercise to my life... I lost an average of about 2lbs/wk for a 9lb weight loss in 4 weeks... then I went on vacation.. and had a birthday, and started a job as a nurse where I work 13-16 hours a day.. and within the last week I gained everything PLUS a pound back! Granted its TOM, but still- thats just crazy! All that hard work down the drain!
I wonder sometimes if I just havent gotten to that breaking point where enough is enough.. and I wonder if I can force that breaking point. Even my underwear is tight now!! I cant get any fatter.. I just cant...
I do love eating right- I like the food & I love how I feel- but with me; when I mess up once, Im like- well, there was a pound, might as well eat Wendys... Ok then desert from Sonic... Ok well for the week then I'll change.. Always putting it off for tomorrow. I want to be done forever! I just feel like such a whimp against my fat me :/
Any advice? tips?
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #2  

hi, I just started 4 weeks ago and I also had a nightmare week with lbs jumping back on at TOM so I know it's really frustrating to see that on the scale.

Your reactions are very similiar to mine - sometimes with stress the defeatist self talk starts up...best tip I can give you from my own experience is 'move on' don't dwell. Like you in the beginning I fell off the wagon (and I realised the reason why I didn't succeed before is because I did think oh well that's it I've really stuffed up so I'll pig out and start again Monday) but this time round I made myself start with the next meal.

So you had a junky lunch, make a better choice at dinner time. You didn't exercise yesterday, get up and exercise today. Change your self talk, look at the good side - you started exercising & you've lost 20lbs - don't keep berating yourself on the bad. Plus, you've had a heck of a change in lifestyle with your new job, so don't be so hard on yourself. Get back to thinking about your hot new wardrobe for your goal reward !!!! yeahaaa
debs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Use your nurse skills and do some patient education with yourself. What would you say to a person who is overweight and has high blood pressure?

Personally, I think nursing is the toughest profession to be healthy in. Spending 12 hours in a hospital without a chance to go outside and exercise. And all those donuts in the break room. Plus you have so much stress and aren't treated with the respect you deserve. I think it would help for you to do a health assessment on yourself and set goals. And then get support to reach those goals.

For me, I focus on my fitness. When I put exercise first, I tend to care more about my body and not feel like I want to eat junk.

Good luck.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/237/190

Height: 5' 11"

hey there daughter...I've been watching out for you and finally...!

You are worth it. Tell yourself that and that everyday is a new day.

I'm just past my first week so the weight is still going down rather quickly but I keep telling myself that as soon as the scale stops moving, that's it, I'm worried I'll then go back to the junk I had been eating in such large amounts. I keep thinking of how good I will feel with those 50 ish lbs off and that kinda motivates me to keep going.

My DH also is a great support which helps alot.

Congrats on your new job. That's something I always wanted to be but life(husband and kids) got in the way and now I would not have it anyother way. Maybe I'll volunteer once my kids are all in school. Now I'm a SAHM and that would be hard to do...
JJ Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughteroftheKing View Post
but with me; when I mess up once, Im like- well, there was a pound, might as well eat Wendys... Ok then desert from Sonic... Ok well for the week then I'll change.. Always putting it off for tomorrow. I want to be done forever! I just feel like such a whimp against my fat me :/
Any advice? tips?
So often on 3FC I see people writing about this -- "Well, I messed up, I might as well really mess up!" I JUST DON'T GET IT! Here's why:
Say you're planning to lose a pound a week by running a 3500 calorie deficit over the course of a week. But then, for whatever reason, you go to Wendy's and get a burger, fries, whatever, and go over your calories for the day by a whopping 1,000. You can:
a) go to Sonic and get dessert and be over by 1750
b) go to Sonic and get dessert and be over by 1750, decide you really blew it and you better just give up until next week
c) go home, drink some water, and decide that you are going to stay on plan for the rest of the week. Instead of being 3500 calories under, you will be 2500 calories under. Instead of losing 1 pound, you will lose 2/3 of a pound. You will still be losing. You will still be learning. And instead of beating yourself up and still being unhappy with who you are, you will be taking control of your decisions and your life.

I fell off the horse here and there and for a week, and you know what? If you get back on, you can undo that damage. You only really fail when you stop trying.

I agree with Motivated Chickie that nursing is an incredibly hard profession. I think to be successful in your weight loss effort, you will need to do lots of planning. Every day, you should plan on bringing your healthy meals and healthy snacks. Sure, there might be healthy stuff in the cafeteria, but there's probably more bad stuff. Don't let it be an option. The vending machine, the donuts at the nursing station... don't let them be your only option. If they stare you in the face when you're hungry -- that's a tough fight to win.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

I am right there with you. I started my diet last year around October, was very strict with the calorie counting and exercise, and only lost around 4 pounds in as many weeks. Still, I was losing.

Then Thanksgiving hit, and I was never the same for some reason. I don't know, I mentally checked out of the whole thing.

Now, here I am, 10 lbs more than what I was then, beating myself up thinking that I would be at goal if I just stuck to it back then, but there is nothing I can do about that.

So, it's a cliche, but it really is 100% mental. I am mentally ready now, more than ever before. And, the one thing that inspires me now, more than anything else, are the stories and pictures on the goal page on this site. Go there, and you will see women who lost 100 lbs in less than a year. They show you that it can be done, and, whenever I feel like eating off plan or not exercising I think of those women and realize that it will happen for me too.
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #7  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Thank you all for the comments & advice! It was especially hard training with my best friend- so we'd always "splurge"- I guess being together made it an excuse, idk. Anyways, my training is done, and I do plan on scheduling what I eat & sticking with it better!! I think its funny that I make excuses like- I'd totally like a pineapple right now! but I didnt get one at the store cause they were too expensive, so I end up going to McD's or something which ends up being even MORE expensive than the pineapple! lol... Im weird like that..
SO another part of my plan is to buy stuff I like & I know I will eat at the store, and not give in to all the yummy stuff at work!!
Thank you all for the support!!
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by debs54 View Post

So you had a junky lunch, make a better choice at dinner time. You didn't exercise yesterday, get up and exercise today. Change your self talk
This is VERY good advice!

And might I suggest reading The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. It isn't just another diet book... and it's not a "diet" at all - it's tips and strategies that help you STAY ON TRACK of whatever diet you choose.

And DEFINITELY keep on going!!!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #9  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I work three 12 hours overnights in a row and then a half day shift- by the time my "week" is over I'm a zombie and if I don't have easy to grab healthy options then it's a choice between fast food or no food at all. I'm frequently well under my calorie limit at the end of the week because I just don't have the energy to even thing about food.

I'm betting your long shifts have the same basic effect on you.

Add to the tiredness there's the problem that our bodies tend to crave carbs when we're really tired - so there's a double whammy.

I cook ahead the last day of my time off and stock up on easy healthy options so by the end of my four days I can still make good choices.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote