Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #1  
Graceful Loser

Smile Huge

I couldn't find any other threads about this, so I wanted to ask everyone what their views are.

Huge is a new television show that will be airing on ABC, starting June 28th. From the previews I've seen, it is about a weight loss camp or "fat camp" where a bunch of young people are staying. One girl, who is the star of the show (played by Nikki Blonsky), is pretty clear about the fact that she won't be attempting to lose weight while staying at the campus.

I've heard many different views of this show and thought it would a good, interesting discussion for us here.

Personally, I'm interested. I am 19 so I feel like this show is directed at people like me. I mean, I've never seen a show where all of the main characters are obese and usually minor obese characters are portrayed as silly or over the top. Something about this really has me excited.

Linkage: http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/huge?p...25&choice=5288
(You can view the trailor and etc. at the ABC website above)
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I don't think I am going to like this...I will try and watch it...but I feel like the portrayal will not be accurate, or they will make light of what one goes through as an obese teen.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #3  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Question What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post
I couldn't find any other threads about this, so I wanted to ask everyone what their views are.

Huge is a new television show that will be airing on ABC, starting June 28th. From the previews I've seen, it is about a weight loss camp or "fat camp" where a bunch of young people are staying. One girl, who is the star of the show (played by Nikki Blonsky), is pretty clear about the fact that she won't be attempting to lose weight while staying at the campus.

I've heard many different views of this show and thought it would a good, interesting discussion for us here.

Personally, I'm interested. I am 19 so I feel like this show is directed at people like me. I mean, I've never seen a show where all of the main characters are obese and usually minor obese characters are portrayed as silly or over the top. Something about this really has me excited.

Linkage: http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/huge?p...25&choice=5288
(You can view the trailor and etc. at the ABC website above)

Howdy

I'm not one to watch these types of shows, although very briefly I have watched, "The Biggest Loser." For me, it's painful to watch these VERY large people doing these exercises, which in my mind shouldn't be doing at their current size. The stress on their joints with the things that they expect them to do is worrisome to me.
But, not for me to say.

And, I'm not one for being told what to do or what not to do. But, then again, given some thought as to that statement, perhaps I should learn. Because perhaps I wouldn't be going down this weight loss journey if I had actually listened to concerned family members, doctors, or even my body trying to tell me.......hey dummy, lay off the food!!!

But, for you being nearer their age, I think that perhaps it would be good for you to watch. Get some ideas, although you've lost a chunk of weight thus far that you should feel very proud of.

As for the girl that has already stated that she is not going to attempt weight loss. Then, WHY is she on the show?
Isn't that the reason to be on the show?

KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/234/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't know, I have mixed feelings on that show. I enjoy watching shows like the Biggest Loser, but this seems different to me. It seems like just a regular TV show that happens to have overweight people in a fat camp... it doesn't seem to be inspiring people to change their lives, more just commenting on life. Maybe I'm wrong; it hasn't come out yet, so it's certainly a possibility... and actually, I hope I am wrong and that it does inspire people. I'll cross my fingers!
erinbeth85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #5  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

It's a fictional series, not a reality show, if that clears anything up.

I am kind of excited about it because although I personally decided to lose weight to be healthy and feel good about myself, I think it's really important that women of all sizes love their bodies. I think it's nice to see a strong young female lead who doesn't adhere to the unrealistic standards of Hollywood, knows it, and owns it. Basically, Nikki Blonsky's character is saying, "No one but ME is going to decide how I feel about my body."

It seems like the writers were trying to promote positive body image, so in a way, I think it IS encouraging people to change their lives.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/153/138

I read yesterday an interview with one of the guys on the show, he didn't lose alot of weight, but says he did learn some new information about weight loss that he may use in the future, when he is ready to really lose. And it felt good to be around other young people that all looked like him, if you know what I mean. This show is being shown during the summer when there isn't much new on, so perhaps it will find a following.
results not typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #7  
Graceful Loser

Yeah, it's actually a fictional television show with obese/overweight actors and actresses. Growing up obese was difficult for me in so many ways, so I am pretty worried about that aspect of it. Like, if fat girls are getting hot guys and everything is funny and easy and etc. I simply can't relate. But I'm waiting and hoping..
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I think they do a really good job on this show. I like it.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #9  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

The acting is not great, I'm just going to say it. I WANT to like it and I've tried to watch a whole episode, but there is too much eye rolling and dramatic face-making for my taste. However, I do like that a show like this even exists and I can definitely see how it might be a relief for teenagers who are overweight to have something to watch besides the The Hills and The O.C., what with all the skinny chicks and buff guys. Maybe we will see more shows like this in the future...maybe one more geared towards an older adult audience?
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #10  

HUGE IS GREAT!!! I really loved this show and how they portray teens as they really are. Wassup with those shows where everyone in the school looks like a model and is made up to the nines for math class. Anyone who ever felt like a misfit in high school (hello, 99% of us) will love these characters.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #11  

PS, you can watch the entire current episode ("Talent Show") free at the ABC family site, or on Hulu. Check it out!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #12  

PSS: Hayley Hasselhoff (daughter of David) is so gorgeous.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #13  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I set the DVR to record all the new episodes and forgot about it until the other day. I watched 3 episodes in the same night. lol I did like it but I do think it's completely geared for teenagers. But I watched it because I was much like the main character when I was a teen and I felt the same way as many of the other characters feel. I think it's a positive show and might help some overweight and obese teenagers think about looking after their health.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I love it. It shows that fat people have the same normal problems as any other kids. I really relate to Nikki Blonsky's character Will. She wants to lose weight but has mixed feelings about bowing to societal norms.

My friend does great podcasts about the show here:
http://fatcast.twowholecakes.com/?p=44
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I watch it but I'm still deciding if I like it or not, honestly. On one hand I liked the idea of the show but in execution I feel like something is...wrong. All the characters seem to be way too...I dunno I can't explain it but something always feels off to me.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote