Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Eating the same breakfast, same lunch, and switching dinners....

I was watching Dr Oz a couple of weeks ago and he had some guy one, can't remember who he was, but he suggested finding a breakfast and a lunch that you love and is healthy and only eat those items for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is the time where you eat something different each day. I find I do realy good with breakfast, really good with lunch, and dinner I just blow it. I usually end up making different things each day for breakfast and lunch though, so I'm wondering if something like this might work for me.

Any opinions?
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I eat pretty much the exact same thing every day. When I start to get bored with something, I rotate it out, but that happens on a VERY slow cycle. For me, the few food choices I have to make, the better.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3  

I'm the opposite. I'm a foodie, which is what got me to this point, but that also means a sustainable lifestyle for me MUST include variety. I think I spend more money on food when I'm eating healthy than I do when I'm eating poorly. Not just because of buying better foods and produce, but I buy more better foods and produce.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I do the same thing... I eat the same meals for months and months and months and then switch to something else for a long period of time.

I like it because I'm just feeding myself and I dont waste things but also because I always know what I'll be eating and it takes less brain power.
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #5  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I would hate, absolutely hate, eating the same thing every day. I think it is a strange thing if I eat the same thing three days in a row and I assume it is because my body is craving something in the meal that makes me want to eat it all the time. Variety is surely the spice of life, and I can't stand monotony. So I guess I am on the other end of the spectrum.

I also find that I am spending more money on healthier food. Not only because it is more expensive--it is by far and I live in the largest growing state for fruits and vegetables--but also because I am choosing what I once considered "unusual" foods, like eggplant, quinoa and others. I like the colors and textures of new and ethnic foods, and I love the spices I can find from Morocco and Africa.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I think it's a good idea as sometimes when practicising healthy eating, it's soo overwhelming just trying to think of new and healthy things to eat. I could probably only get away with it for a week at most though before I had to change it up a bit!
coleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Honestly anything that works for you is a good idea. Personally I have about 3-7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners that I really like and rotate. When something gets boring I go on a recipe hunt and switch it out. Then later I usually come back to it when something else gets boring. I try not to eat the same thing everyday, it makes things get boring quicker, but I do typically always have leftever dinner for lunch. It's convenient and makes shopping and planning simpler.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
ncuneo originally posted Honestly anything that works for you is a good idea.
I agree with this. We are all different and have to find what works for us.
Eating the same meals for breakfast and lunch most days works for me. When I was gaining weight, I tended to eat the same over and over. I would get stuck on some food and eat it over and over until I got tired of it and then would move on to something else. I remember crazes of donuts, milk shakes, Hardee's chicken biscuits and hash browns, candy bars, all high calorie, high fat, and high sugar. When I was on a craze, I could certainly eat them several times a week for several weeks. I cringe now thinking about the calories I consumed.

When I first started working on healthy eating habits I thought that I had to have variety. I don't know why I thought I had to start then when I had eaten limited variety my entire adult life. Life got easier when I went with my normal tendency and started eating the same breakfast and lunch most days.

I still have crazes of food now. I am on an steamed yellow squash and Vidalia onion craze right now. Yum, so good!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/199/180

Height: 5' 6"

I'm one who pretty much eats the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and snacks every day. I have about 10 dinners that I rotate, too. This has been working well for me. I like not having to think at all about what I'm going to eat during the day. You'd think I'd get tired of the meals, but I actually still find myself looking forward to them.
Desert Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I eat the same 2 breakfasts and pretty much the same lunch(es). Dinner is a disaster for me. When I get home from work, I'm often too tired to deal and eat something junky like frozen corn in butter sauce. Yum, but blech.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I have pretty much the same breakfast every morning, but the accompanying fruit changes based on grocery store sales & what's in season. Like, right now, I'm having fresh blueberries with cinnamon sprinkled on them almost every morning.

I nearly always have a salad for lunch, but again, the components change somewhat seasonally to take advantage of what's available at the store & the farmers market.

And yes, at dinner, I do switch it up. But that happens every few days, not nightly. The reason being that I tend to cook on the weekend for the coming week, as really my schedule leaves only one weeknight when I have much time to cook. So when I'm making something for dinner on Sunday or Saturday, I'm planning to eat out of that pot for three consecutive nights.

In my ideal life, I'd not be employed & sitting at laptop for so many hours a day. I'd spend two hours at the gym each morning, I'd go marketing for fresh produce & proteins, I'd spend an hour cooking something ridiculously simple but also amazingly healthy & tasty, and I'd spend the rest of the day ... oh, I don't know ... posting here, shopping, indulging creative impulses, maybe taking up gardening, I don't know. But I don't see that happening till the retirement years. Anyway, until then, I'm gonna be eating a lot of the same thing every day, just because it's so much easier on my schedule to cook in batches.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #12  

I always hear Dr. Oz's voice going "automate your meals". I eat oatmeal with berries, flax and protein powder every day. It's filling, tasty, HEALTHY, and gets me through until lunch. For lunch I have about 4 different things I switch around, unless there's leftovers from dinner, then I'll bring that for lunch. Dinner tends to be fairly routine too, since by the time we're home my man and I aren't usually feeling too creative. Having standard recipes entered into my FitDay really cuts down on logging time, and makes it WAY easier to plan for the next day. The thing is, all of these "standard" things are super yummy and healthy, so it doesn't seem like a drag to me at all. Lately my favorite lunch is wilted spinach with butternut squash cubes, navy beans and olive oil. No idea why I crave that, but I do. Simple, easy, HEALTHY.

One thing that helps me is to make a big pot of rice, quiona, or any kind of bean (lately i'm on a navy bean kick) and keep them frozen. Then it's really easy to put together a quick healthy meal with tofu and veggies or whatever, since you already have cooked the part that takes the longest.
McJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #13  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

My breakfast and lunch remain the same (except I can have a 60-80 cal treat after and I switch that up every so often... sometimes its fruit cups, sometimes its sugarfree jello) and I eat about 4 or 5 different suppers.

I like the schedule of it and I like being able to grocery shop without a list. I KNOW what I need because its always the same thing.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I eat pretty much the exact same thing every day. When I start to get bored with something, I rotate it out, but that happens on a VERY slow cycle. For me, the few food choices I have to make, the better.

This is me as well.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I have the same breakfasts and same lunches for like a month but after that I have to switch it up because it starts tasting...plain?
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote