The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #1  

Default Question about daily calorie intake... Someone help!!

Hi everyone!!

I just purchased Jillian's book Winning by Losing. I have figured out my BMR to be 1639.7 then I multiply it by my daily activity score which is 1.1 and it equals 1803.67.

Now, when I add my exercise expenditure (which is normally like 600 cal) I get 2403.67. Now to lose 2 lbs per week, I subtract 1000 from 2403.67 and get 1403.67 calories/day.

My question is, Jillian tells you to REST on Wednesday and Sunday. Well, if I'm resting on Wed. and Sun. I won't be adding exercise expenditure into my daily calorie number and my daily allowance would be 803.67, which is too low to use. So what am I suppose to do?

I appreciate the help!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I kept my calories the same each day, even on rest days. I believe she's advising you to just rest your body, but your body will still need all the calories to refresh itself. If it concerns you, maybe just eat 1200 calories on your rest days? I did realize that when I went days without "resting" or "eating properly", I didn't lose as much. The body is amazing!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #3  

Thank you so much for the response... Your weight loss stats are amazing!! Great job! I'm looking to lose about 30lbs.

So you think on the days I exercise, use the formula and put in the calories burned during exercise to find my daily number.... then on the rest days, just do 1200 calories?

Any other suggestions would be wonderful! In the past I always tried losing weight with my diet, not very much exercise, so the calorie in calorie out is new to me
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #4  

That's what I would do, at least that's what I did. But lately, this girl hasn't had much motivation in the workout dept. It's WAY too hot here in Houston, TX so I've become kinda lazy, but I still watch what I eat every day! I've been maintaining now for 7 months, and I consume approx 1400 cals a day. I did start jogging again on Monday. I went 2 months with no work out! I felt awful, it really does give you that extra energy you need to get through. But I've always kept my calories at 1400, sometimes 1200 on busy days.

I think if you just knock off 200 calories on your "rest" days, your body will still get everything it needs, and you won't feel so guilty not working out because you ate lighter. Like I said, that's what I had done. Since I've reached goal, I've only had about 3 cheat/binge days. I've noticed my body is used to it's new size, and if I do go over my calories one day, I cut them back the next day. I try to keep it all about balance so I don't go crazy or fall off the wagon! I wish you the best of luck, and if you need anything, do not hesitate to ask!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #5  

Yeah, that sounds good. I'm having a hard time trying to pin point my calories being burned during my circuit training. I bought a heart rate monitor, but I don't think it's accurate so I'm taking it back. How did you calculate yours to come to the conclusion you needed 1400 cal? I just want to make sure that if I'm going to the gym 5 days out of the week and eating healthy, I'm going to be seeing results. I'm determined to lose the 30lbs!!

OH girl, I don't blame you for not wanting to work out in that heat!! My ex use to be stationed in TX and when I would go visit it was way too hot for me!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #6  

I got that figure from my trainer when I had him for a quick New York Minute. So far, it's worked for me. I still have a couple off days here and there, but like mentioned before, it's all about balance. If I'm bad today, I'll be very strict tomorrow. If I was very strict yesterday, then i'm going to be bad today!