Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Default Survived my holiday

I was so worried about going to Europe for three weeks and being tempted by bread and non-Atkins friendly foods but I did ok. I did great actually. Gained 2 pounds but that is now gone and given the food I ate I am happy that I only gained 2 pounds. I did try to minimize the damage. Of course there was little way to avoid bread .... well I could avoid it, but I didn't really want to .... so I made it my mission to off-set the carbs.

During the first week the bakery was 1.5 kilometers from our farmhouse so I would get up early in the morning and walk to the bakery and back with fresh baguettes, croissants and pain de chocolat .... and I would allow myself these treats. The rest of the time I was very careful, choosing salad greeens for lunch if possible, cheese for dessert, minimizing the red wine.

The second week was harder .... we were not close to the bakery so had to buy it at a supermarket .... but I told myself that by then the thrill of fresh bread had worn off. Occassionally ate it with cheese for breakfast but still really watched what I ate at other times. We cooked a lot, every dinner was home cooked, and if there were potatoes then I simply didn't have any. I insisted on a salad on the table each meal (did not go over well!!) and made sure that there were lots of fresh veggies available. I still walked a ton and that definitely helped. Had the occassional beer at the little village pub that was a stones throw from our farmhouse.

Four days in Paris was a bit more difficult but I managed. I walked and walked and walked so that was a huge bonus. Breakfast at the hotel was bread and croissant and coffee and given the prices in Paris we had to take advantage of this free French breakfast. Again I tried to focus on green salads and meat based meals for lunch and supper. I did have crepes on 2 occassions but really, its Paris .....

So, it was manageable with some forethought ...... and once I got back home it was back to strictly Atkins induction and the weight loss continues.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on doing such a wonderful job on vacation. I'm not sure I would have the willpower yet. I just started yesterday and it is reassuring to hear that this is manageable, even on vacation.
Thanks for sharing.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5"4

Congratulations Shells!!! That is my biggest fear, going back to carbs and then freaking out. Thanks for the encouragement you really pushed through it. Keep it up.
kaylasmom010 is offline   Reply With Quote