General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default Getting a job-rant!

I've been actively looking for work since mid May (Just finished college), with only 2 responses to say they weren't interested this far.
I'm feeling rather defeated about the situation atm, how do you keep yourself optimistic about it?
I know i have good qualities once I become comfortable with people, but initially I just come across shy, anxious and socially inept. I know I work hard and am committed but how are potential employers going to see this through the nerves? I also really undervalue myself, and I can't seem to break this habit.
I'm not applying for out of my league jobs, or high paying ones. I'm going for literally anything, yet I'm getting no responses. It's really knocking my confidence, I just want to get any kind of job so I can feel like I have more of a place in the world. I feel so lost being finished with college and having no job prospects.
It's like I'm waking up with no real reason to get up in the mornings. I'm trying to keep myself busy but I know I'm working myself into a rut over this.
Advice on how you managed to overcome shyness/anxiety around applying for jobs or just ways of making yourself stand out from the crowd would be really, really appreciated! Or anyone else in the same situation looking to rant as well...!
Thanks for listening to me babble
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

first, right now the economy truly sucks and job market is EXTREMELY TOUGH. So, you have to remember it's not particularly personal (necessarily a reflection on you) that offers aren't pouring in. secondly, May to July is not especially a long period of time to look for a job.

If you're talking about interviewing, find a friend or family member, search the web for a good list of Q's, and practice, practice, practice. Youtube has interview videos (of vastly varying quality, but it could give you an idea). If you have any college resources to help you with the job search, take advantage.

if you have an idea of what you want to do, gear your resume to stress your skills and experience in that vein. Do informational interviews -- talk to people in a field to get their advice (write letters then follow up with a call). Sometimes that can lead to word of mouth openings. It's flattering to a potential interviewee, and many professionals are happy to help out younger people.

let everyone you know that you're looking and what you're looking for.

good luck!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/127/120

Height: 5'3

Been there done that... It's tough, bein' socially inept.. Try not to let it get you down. In my case the more horrible interviews I had, the more it motivated me to try harder and apply for a whole lot more places because I knew the odds were against me. And the more options you have, the less the failures matter.
blindcantaloup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Hugs. This is a tough time to have just graduated from college.

I second what the others said.

I've also found it helpful to dress to look more mature than I feel (Now, I am mature and it still helps). A skirt suit in navy or black, if you can manage it, and pumps with a sensible heel. Wearing that costume, I call on my limited acting skills or my inner business woman and fake it 'til I make it.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/172/130

Height: 5'3"

I agree it's probably not you so much as it is the market. You have people who are twice your age with twice the experience applying for the same jobs. Practice makes perfect, do what the above posters suggested and check out sites like Careerealism (can't remember how to spell) and others that give employment seeking help.

If you don't have bills to pay then go apprentice with someone in an industry that you want to work in.
Good Luck!
Philigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

While you are looking for a job, you might do some volunteering or free lance stuff. It's important to build your resume even if you can't get a paid job. Employers tend to consider volunteer experience as real work experience (as long as it's relevant.)

After college, I couldn't get a job and volunteered with a housing group for a year. And I lived with my mom, which wasn't fun but it was rent free. It helped me get my foot in the door in the nonprofit field, which is extremely competitive.

Good luck and be persistent. A job will come.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had another thought for you, thinking about it from the times I've been in the position to hire. One of the things that made prospective employees stand out was enthusiasm. Try to understand something of what the job entails before you go and develop some enthusiasm for it. Displaying that goes a long way.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the advice
I spent the afternoon around town signing up to new job agencies and handing in some more applications. When I was nearly finished I got a call from my first stop asking me back for an interview! So tomorrow I have a trial day working for a shop who buys and sells electrical goods. I just finished studying ICT so he seemed enthusiastic it was a good match, and it's something I think I would enjoy working with!
Hoping I do ok tomorrow, I'm skeptical but trying to remind myself to not act nervous, would be such a relief to finally make a start in work
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote