General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #1  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Post So I saw this little girl on the news

She had written a letter to the president about being bullied. It reminded me of something I did when I was an 8th grader. I was frustrated because I was overweight and didn't feel like I fit in so my mom took me to the only gym in my town (at the time) Curves and they wouldn't let me workout there because of my age.

I was so angry because I wanted to workout and was too self concious to just go walk outside that I wrote a letter the president (at the time) and told him that I didn't like it that kids dont have access to places where they can take control of their fitness.

I had forgotten all about this until I saw that just then. But when I think about it I feel like it was a very valid point. The news always goes on and on about childhood obesity. I hear about YMCA's but those only exist in larger cities and when your a kid transportation to those kinds of things can be kind of iffy. A large amount of our country is made up of small cities and towns. I am willing to bet most of these towns dont even posess an organic/vegetarian isle in there grocery stores. Mine doesn't. I drive 20 to 30 minutes each week to the grocery store in the next city over to get some of the things I eat most often.

I dont really know why I am writing this.. just a rant I suppose
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Alice Waters started this program in Berkeley, CA

http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/

I was a very heavy kid, at a time when there were very few heavy kids around (and I'm 46, so much has changed in a few decades). I see kids at my gym (a Y), and while I think some of the exercise programs and camps are great, it seems to me the gym, in general and for longer periods of time, isn't geared so much to a kid's temperament and lifestyle. The kids hang around and get bored and act goofy. It can be disruptive for adults on tight schedules who can't use the machines (while the kids are lounging, unsupervised).

I can't say I know what the answer is, teaching/allowing kids to be more active in regular and/or organized sports/activities. With families if possible. I hear you about feeling self conscious. Maybe people in general need to move beyond their shame and embarrassment, and adults need to help kids with this, to move and act and exist in the world no matter what size we are.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

My population 10k town has a YMCA! It's not just larger cities, but they're becoming harder to find and more expensive to join, definitely.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

10K *is* a large town to many of us! My town of 3000 people doesn't have a YMCA, but I'm fortunate to live fairly near a little bit bigger town that does.

I think another problem is that some people in really large cities don't have access to decent grocery stores. There are lots of articles about this, but I found this one is short and sweet and describes the problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarket_shortage
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

It's a sad thing, but our whole culture is set up to make us fat. Most of us have to FIND exercise because the whole day is set up without out. We have to go out of our way to find REAL food. It's nuts. We are in a bad situation and a whole generation of children is growing up with the idea that this is what life is supposed to be like. At least I can remember when vegetables had seasons and food had to be cooked, not dumped out of a container.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote