General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #1  
~dreaming of art and rose

S/C/G: 293/257/136

Height: 5'4

Question Feeling like you're about to go insane and craving food late at night

hello~,

been quite a while since i've been on here, but now that I'm stuck and at a loss for where to look, maybe someone will have an idea. Lol

I introduced myself a long time ago so no introductions need =p, however I have a weird question that's kind of...unanswerable? lol

I recently started this healthy diet, and started lowering my intakes of carbs, fats, and sugars. I've been doing steadily well, and lost 4 pounds the first week, and that's where i got the idea to weigh myself everyday to see what was happening with my body. Now I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and lean protein/meats for lunch, and dinner something with protein and more fruit.

I eat steadily at 7:00 pm every night, and I exercise daily, burning at least 500-1000 calories everyday at the gym.

Now my question is (there's actually a few =P), when I weigh myself on the scale, there's a .4 difference in weight. For example I was 263.4 last night, now today I'm 262.8...what on earth does that mean? and also I've been working hard at the gym, eating healthy foods and i feel much better, yet for some reason, around 10:00 pm at night, I feel like I'm about to go insane.

My body starts going crazy and i get this consistent rush in my head that I'm starving, and I need to eat eat eat! I feel like I'm about to go insane from the feeling and crave fatty foods.

Of course I don't cave in because I've done it before and I've seen the results the next day, feeling bloated, sick, heavy, ugly, etc...

Yet I'm very curious to know...What is happening to my body?

I actually googled this and tried every approach even going as far as googling "feeling crazy when your body is burning fat" and I did find some info, but it was very little, can anyone please explain to me if my body is burning fat and that's why its craving foods? or am I just really hungry and need to eat some protein or drink a shake or something?

The information out there is varied with different articles/pages saying that its because your body is losing weight and burning fat so its craving food so that it doesn't burn fat from its storage. Other pages say that if you don't eat you will make your muscles break down and that's bad.

Rofl....help?! anyone care to kindly explain to me what exactly is going on? I would love to know more and not knowing the right way to googling it is getting me nowhere! =p
SakuraRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #2  

I can't explain it myself, though I understand it. There is an excellent book, called Mastering Leptin, that goes into the science of cravings and how the mechanics of hunger work. I do know there is a hormone called ghrelin (I think I spelled it right...) that regulates hunger. It is probably what causes your intense hunger. See if you can find a copy of the book. Its a good read for anyone wanting to lose weight.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraRose View Post

Now my question is (there's actually a few =P), when I weigh myself on the scale, there's a .4 difference in weight. For example I was 263.4 last night, now today I'm 262.8...what on earth does that mean?

I'm assuming you mean how can you lose .4 lb overnight? Where did it go when you were sleeping?

If you weigh after going to the bathroom in the morning or during the night, that's the obvious answer, but I'm assuming that you don't remember using the restroom after you've gone to bed or in the morning before weighing.

It's quite possible that while you may not remember getting up and using the restroom in the middle of the night, you very well may have. That's actually quite common. You wake up enough to go potty, but not enough to remember it in the morning (It's a bit like sleep walking, some people even are sleep eaters).

Even if you didn't go to the bathroom, you sweat and exhale while sleeping. The moisture in both evaporates, and you wake up lighter than you went to bed.

I usually lose most of my weight "overnight." I do tend to use the bathroom at least twice before my morning weigh-in. Once in the middle of the night, and once in the morning before weighing.

I've lost as much as three pounds between evening and morning. Now if I'd sweated out that much during the night, my sheets and jammies would have been soaked, so that's all from going to the bathroom in between weigh-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraRose View Post

...around 10:00 pm at night, I feel like I'm about to go insane... am I just really hungry and need to eat some protein or drink a shake or something?
Even the experts disagree on this, but my personal belief is that if hunger is keeping you awake at night, a snack is preferable to poor sleep.

Of course I lost my first 20 lbs only by sleeping better (I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and although my doctors told me that I'd likely lose some weight without even trying just by getting better rest using the cpap device. I'd never lost weight "accidentally" in my life, so I thought they were nuts. I didn't even own a scale, so I was extremely surprised to find out at my next doctor's appointment that I had indeed lost 20 lbs without trying).

Sleep is also a key component to my fibromyalgia. If I lose sleep, I get sick and tired. So good sleep is a top priority to me.

That being said, I try to keep night time snacks very low carb, and reasonably low in calories (under 200 calories). If I eat too high carb and/or go over 200 calories, it makes it harder to get back to sleep (because of the energy boost), or I feel like I have a "hangover" in the morning.

Personally, if I experience "insane" hunger too often, I tend to get discouraged and frustrated and start feeling that weight loss is too difficult, and pointless. This is the only weight loss attempt in which I've decided to never let my hunger get to that level, and I don't think it's a coincidence that in almost 40 years of dieting this is the only attempt that has been successful this long or yeilded this much weight loss (even though it is much slower weight loss).

Like most things weight loss, there probably is no "best" answer, except in the sense of "best for you." Physiology and psychology gives each of us a different set of needs and preferences. Experimentation is your best source of information. Explore and test your options.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #4  
~dreaming of art and rose

S/C/G: 293/257/136

Height: 5'4

ooh, ok, thanks a lot you guys, I appreciate it =P and Ellen I'll look into that book, it sounds quite interesting!

And Kaplods, thanks! that's quite a lot of info lol, and wow good for you, going through all that yet remaining quite strong, that's inspiring to me to continue =D, so thank you both!
SakuraRose is offline   Reply With Quote