Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/325/190

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Made goal, but for some reason feeling discouraged today.

Well, today was my first weigh in day. And I made my goal of three pounds per week. Down to 284 from 287. But I just feel exhausted! I don't know if I jumped into my workout routine with too much vengeance or what. I just feel like I don't know if I can keep it up. I also know that it will only get harder the more that I lose. Can I really do this? Think about my weight 24/7? Be a size 18 (or near) from a size 24 by next January or February? (When I buy my wedding dress.) It just all seems so far away.
alisonlerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #2  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

First of all, here's a hug for you!

This is a huge change. A huge, huge change, and it isn't going to happen all overnight. It's not going to be easy all the time, but it also isn't going to always be a huge struggle. One thing I have to ask about... What made you set a 3 pound per week goal? Realistically from what I understand, 2 pounds a week average is what's most sustainable... And even that isn't for everyone. I don't think it's very good to set yourself X number of pounds to lose per week, because so many different things effect your weight that can throw those plans off kilter, and then you'll be discouraged. For me, it works best to set myself mini goals. I might set a timeline for what would be nice... But I never expect it to work out just perfectly, because chances are it never will. I know you're aiming for a certain size for buying your wedding dress, but it's most important to approach your weight loss in a way that's sustainable for the long haul.

I'm not aiming to discourage you or anything like that, this is all just my two cents. Good luck, and keep going! This is definitely doable.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on your first week! In many ways that one is the hardest.

I started out about where you are back in February and I'm down 60 pounds now so your goal of a size 18 for early next year is very doable.

I don't know what to say about the exhaustion part. It might be you've just overdone the working out, it might be you aren't getting enough good healthy nutrition. What plan are following? What sorts of foods are you eating? And just how much are you actually working out?

Using myself as an example - I'm 52 so (probably) a bit older than you with a slower metabolism (due to age, I don't think I have a particularly slow metabolism but generally losing weight is harder as we age). I've been focusing more on diet than exercise. I gave up "the whites - white sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes - and focus on whole foods - fresh veggies, whole grains, lean meats. I aim for 1550 calories a day and track all my food everyday (on myplate.com). There's about a day a month where I go up to around 2000 calories but otherwise I stay around or below my calorie goal. My main exercise is a long walk with my dogs and some time on the Wii Fit so you can see I'm not hitting the gym for hours a day. But I am losing weight at a nice steady pace. The month of May, where I really pushed the exercise, I lost over 16 pounds so I know I could lose more faster if I exercised more but with my current life I'm happy to get what exercise I can and I'm happy with the loss I'm seeing.

So, what is your plan to keep this weight loss going? We know you can do it!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #4  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

No, it won't get harder--it will get easier, then it will be hard again then it will get easier, then it will be harder than ever, then a breeze.......sort of like life.

This is a good place to come to get support. Some of us have been through it all.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

January/February does seem like it's a long way away, doesn't it? But it'll be here in the blink of an eye. And it'll come, regardless of whether or not you've lost any weight. By the way, I'm not sure who told you it will get harder but I didn't find that to be true. I found that weight loss got easier as I went along, because the habits were more ingrained and, as the scale moved downwards, I got more and more motivated to keep it moving.

Three pounds is a really good first week. But lets say that not all weeks are that good, and that you average 2 pounds a week. There about 23 weeks left until February 1st. That would be about 46 pounds lost, but you've already lost 3 so...49 pounds lost. Wow. It really adds up!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the exhaustion. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? I don't take them, but some people swear by them.

You're off to a really good start. Don't be discouraged by the timeline. January is going to be here either way!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

I just started Calorie Counting and exercising 6 times a week and I was exhausted all of last week. I kept trying to get more sleep, but I keep tossing and turning. Sunday I decided I need to up my calories and take a multi vitamin.

I needed some inspiration last night, so I went to the goals section and read some amazing threads.

It is exhausting, but I believe it will get easier. We can do it!!!
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope View Post
I just started Calorie Counting and exercising 6 times a week and I was exhausted all of last week.
How many calories were you aiming for and what sorts of food. 1300 calories of veggies, whole grains, and lean protein will fuel your body differently than 1300 calories of coolattas, taco bell, and a bag of chips. Also, what kind of exercise?
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

I agree that it will only get easier! You will always have a hard day here and there but overall you will become stronger, more healthy, you will have more energy, You will have less weight on you which is easier on your body. When I got about 15 lbs down I noticed how much easier going up stairs were. I found myself "bouncing" up them! OK not literally, but it felt like it. Your workouts will get easier and you will find that you can push yourself further than you ever thought. You can keep it up! It will happen!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
How many calories were you aiming for and what sorts of food. 1300 calories of veggies, whole grains, and lean protein will fuel your body differently than 1300 calories of coolattas, taco bell, and a bag of chips. Also, what kind of exercise?
I was aiming for 1200 - 1500 cal. a day I was staying pretty close to 1200.

I have been eating healthy...and loving how much you can eat when you are mostly eating fruits and vegis, with some lean protein, and high fiber cereal thrown in.

I have been doing btwn 35 - 60 min on an elyptical with 1 day off.

I am taking a vitamin now and increasing my cals to be between 1400 - 1700 daily, hopefully my energy will pick up soon.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 325/325/190

Height: 5'9"

VladaDog: I pretty much eat veggies (carrots, cucumbers, broccoli) and fruits (cantelope, apples, grapes) , yogurt, cheese sticks, raisin bran, and occasionally a lean pocket or a smart ones when I'm at work and didn't pack lunch. I also keep sugar free pudding around for when I have those pesky chocolate cravings. Occasionally my fiance and roommate or friends will want to go out, so I do randomly go out once in awhile. I write down everything I eat and add up the calories, but I don't have a threshold that I get all bent out of shape about if I go over by 10, 50, or 100 calories. Mostly I'm trying to just force myself to make healthy choices.

I think my problem was that I went from virtually no exercise (besides walking to school or my work at Target, which doesn't really count) to running on the elliptical for an hour and then doing some weight lifting. I think it was just a shock to my body. I took a day off yesterday, and went back to exercise tonight and felt a little better.

KayNicole: I knnnoowww, the goal pictures are so inspirational. I could go through them for hours.

Envelope: Maybe I should look in to starting to take a vitamin. I'll have to research!

Windchime: I'm not sure why I picked three pounds. Maybe because I want to lose 10 pounds a month, which is really more like 2.5 pounds a week, so I was just like 'what the heck, let's round it up to three!'

I sure hope you guys are right and it does get easier. I can't wait for that.
alisonlerae is offline   Reply With Quote