General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/330/180

Height: 6'0

Question Looking for guidance

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, but am so grateful that you are all here! I have a question for anyone willing to answer. I am looking for a diet that I can stick with, that is easy to follow, not boring (as in food choices), and not to had on the wallet. A little about me...I just attempted Atkins and not only did I not lose weight, I gained weight. I followed the directions, didn't cheat, and still I gained. I think I really may be one of the 2% of the population that wasn't made to live that low carb. I generally don't eat a lot, but what I eat is bad. I don't like diets that are strict on counting stuff because if I am out, I don't want to have to worry about counting calories and fat. I know this is limiting on diets, but does anyone have any ideas for diets that may meet my desires?

Thanks!
Natalie
withlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Honestly, if you want the loss to be significant and successful, you will have to count calories, fat, points, carbs .... something. I wish there was a magic pill I could pop that would help me shed all of this weight, but there isn't. Weight loss is all about planning. You need to plan meals, and learn corrcet portion sizes. MEASURE every piece of food you put in your mouth.

I also think that long term weight loss - like many chick come here for support with - is about changing your lifestyle. I have been back on plan for about 6 weeks, after losing and regaining 60 lbs 2 years ago. Why did I gain it back? Because I returned to old eating habits. This time, I am committed, and I know that the crap I was putting in wasn't good for me. Sure, I can splurge and have a treat once in a while, but not at every meal.

I also had to realize that being a "clean plate" club member was not always a good thing, especially if my stomach was full

Good luck on finding a plan that works for you

Last edited by texscrapper; 07-16-2010 at 07:20 AM.
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Natalie,

I agree with texscrapper, you are going to have to count/track something if you want to reach your goal. Believe me when I say, I HATE it, too. I did WW or a while. Points made me crazy. Then I did calories. After counting calories for a while, I have fallen into a pattern and eat the same basic things every day so I don't have to count forever. (as long as my weight keeps going down)

If you don't want to go hog wild right away, start with one or two small changes. Ex.:
- Cut out and soda
- Switch to whole grains (whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc.)
- Start walking 10 minutes a day
- Replace one "bad" snack a day with a piece of fruit

Even just starting with a small change, you can see results. Then when the one change gets to be habit, add in another small change.

I have taken LOTS of baby steps. It is the only way I have been able to do it.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #4  

Hi Natalie! It's all about finding a plan that you can live with, but you have to be willing to make changes, sacrifices, and choices. It's not easy, and it's not always fun, but it's so worth it!

You can start by making small changes, and then as you start losing and start feeling better, it may motivate you to make more changes and more changes. There's not a one size fits all plan, or a magic plan that lets you eat what you want and still lose, but as you start to cut things out and make healthy choices you'll start to see the changes in yourself and in your health.

Coming here often for support and getting to know people here really makes a big difference too! I hope you post often and keep us updated on your progress.
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/330/180

Height: 6'0

Thanks guys. I know I need to count something, but was trying to get an opinion I guess on what the best thing to count is. Ive done calories, fat, and carbs and haven't really figured out which is best.
withlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #6  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi Natalie,

I know how you feel with regard to counting things, whether it be calories, fat, carbs, or whatever. It can all get very tedious and lead to the inevitable 'falling off the waggon' when you feel like you can't cope with it any longer.

You said ...

Quote:
I generally don't eat a lot, but what I eat is bad.
Based on that, I'd be inclined to say that rather than starting a diet plan where you have to count everything, you'd probably be better off overhauling what you actually eat. It sounds like you are not an over-eater, but simply need to choose the right things to eat. Next time you go shopping, make a list of more healthy foods that you can eat ... stock up with chicken, fish, lean meat, plenty of veggies and salad to go with them, and fresh fruit. Simply don't buy the 'bad stuff', no one else is going to make you eat it, so if you don't buy it then it won't be there to tempt you.

Starting off slowly, and gradually changing the way that you eat, I believe is the key to being successful. There are many websites with fantastic, easy recipes for healthy eating.

If you really don't want to have to count anything, I think this would be a good place to start.

Now, I should go and follow my own advice!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 07-20-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #7  

Look into Sugarbusters. Its not so much a 'counting' plan, as an avoiding high glycemic carbs and eating healthy plan. I followed it for many years at the advice of my doctor. I can't say I was a poster child for easy weight loss, as I have serious metabolic problems, but I do know many who lost weight on it.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote