Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

Red face Trading one addiction for another...

Last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I picked up another addiction - shopping. When I started not paying attention to my weight again, I cut back on shopping. My husband lost his job last August...which completely took care of the shopping issue. He went back to work in December and just recently took a "better" job.

I started being more accountable (it's not a diet) on Monday. Today, I went to Walmart...spent $150 and have no idea what I bought. Am I being silly or could shopping be my "side effect"?
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

It absolutely could be.

When I lost 106lbs, I exchanged my eating addiction for a shopping addiction. Never spent large sums, not very large anyway, just a lot of small ones. A lot.

So 2 years after I nearly got to goal, I hit financial meltdown.

I am now totally financially in control, every penny I own, I know its name and it stands to attention when I come into the room - but I haven't kept my weight down.

It's as though whatever self-destructive addiction I've got, I can squash it down one place but it squirts out another.

I am working really hard now on not compensating for controlling my eating by letting something else take over!

So yes, it could well be a side-effect!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I'm not a member of this board, but I just wanted to say that I've done the same thing and I can totally relate. It's getting especially difficult now that I'm running out of clothes that fit not to run out and completely replace my wardrobe in one shopping trip. I've made a lot of impulse purchases and can't seem to make it a full pay period (two weeks) without buying at least one or two new articles of clothing. Before, I went months without buying new clothes! I keep trying to remind myself that I've never needed so many clothes before and there's no need for them now...but it feels good. There's instant gratification in it, it's soothing and satisfying and helps combat the deprived feeling that seems to come with dieting, for me.

Just wanted to share that and say, you're not alone, me too!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

"Instant gratification" - that's it exactly! It's the same rush as a Mars Bar!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad its not just me...makes me feel a little better. I'm really going to try to do better this time. However, I am looking forward to buying some new clothes
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think it's a definite possibility that there's a correlation.

Yup, instant gratification - or getting a little boost or a *high*.

One thing, one harmless thing that is, I find to also give that immediate gratification - cleaning. Whether it's hard core cleaning - dusting, polishing, vacuuming, etc or organizing - straightening up closets, drawers, cabinets - is a great way to achieve that *high* and immediate satisfaction - it also keeps you busy and keeps your mind off of food.

Another good *switch of addictions*, so to speak - use your *love of food* to your benefit - becoming passionate about your weight loss/health - searching and developing recipes, planning, shopping,etc - the whole bit. In fact, I've said it's become my *hobby*. And it actually accomplishes something worthwhile.

I'm glad you're aware of it. Keep an eye on it - carefully - and look for other ways to soothe and comfort yourself and give you that boost.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

This may sound weird... but how's your spiritual life? Whether it is attending church, meditation, yoga, garden, journal... whatever it is you do to nourish you spirituality?

Because sometimes we eat or shop to fill the "void."

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote