Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Losing weight makes you think, doesn't it?

That's about as far as I've got really. As I was walking back up from town with my mushrooms and spinach I thought, "If I can do this, what else might I be able to do?"

Ans: I don't know. Yet; but it was a nice thought.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

LOL! I know what you mean...I think. I never thought in a million years I could run let alone run for a full hour without stopping. Now I wonder if maybe a marathon isn't so far out of reach. Or today I rode my bike 26 miles. Is it so out of the question that I could ride it 60 miles to a destination I've been toying with. My bike path takes you to a lovely town 60 miles down the road with a farm that sells fresh, unpasteurized ice cream that is delicious! I want to bike there.

It's been an interesting journey. I'd say "If I can lose weight, I can do anything" but I'm not so sure that's actually true. It hasn't been that hard. My biggest obstacle was always my mind. Since I overcame my relationship with the scale, it has been smooth sailing.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I agree, but can't articulate the rest of the thought either!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #4  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

I guess for me the rest of that thought is.....with all of the self control & focus it takes to do this...I have very little reason why I shouldnt apply myself in the same way to other things Ive been wanting to tackle but havent because of self doubt. I had no idea that I even had this much discipline & self control....
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

This has been a wonderful time of self discovery and self growth.

Being slim, trim, active and fit is phenomenal, no doubt about it, but having earned my own self respect - oooh - that's pretty phenomenal as well.

In addition -
If I can *do this*, I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to. SO. VERY. EMPOWERING!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Told ya, this should go on my resume.

Managed a successful multiphase weight loss project over a two-year period. Project phases included:
- Researched diets and nutrition.
- Researched eating behaviors & best practices.
- Assembled support team of doctor & therapist & led weekly and monthly meetings.
- Conducted daily meetings with peers in real-life best-practices and lessons-learned sharing sessions [that would be 3FC].
- Researched recipes & acquired cooking skills.
- Committed to grocery shopping for fresh produce and whole foods at least two hours each week and fulfilled this commitment.
- Committed to being physically active at least an hour a day and fulfilled this commitment.
- Researched exercise and conducted independent learning modules on gym equipment.

Kept entire project within budget.

Net result: Over 100 pounds lost.

Last edited by saef; 07-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Told ya, this should go on my resume.

Managed a successful multiphase weight loss project over a two-year period. Project phases included:
- Researched diets and nutrition.
- Researched eating behaviors & best practices.
- Assembled support team of doctor & therapist & led weekly and monthly meetings.
- Conducted daily meetings with peers in real-life best-practices and lessons-learned sharing sessions [that would be 3FC].
- Researched recipes & acquired cooking skills.
- Committed to grocery shopping for fresh produce and whole foods at least two hours each week and fulfilled this commitment.
- Committed to being physically active at least an hour a day and fulfilled this commitment.
- Researched exercise and conducted independent learning modules on gym equipment.

Kept entire project within budget.

Net result: Over 100 pounds lost.
Saef, that's awesome!!

But, yes, absolutely, I agree.

I always felt that I was quite successful in most areas of my life, but I just could not get a handle on this one albatross hanging round my neck (or, should I say, my waistline...)

No matter how much I accomplished in the rest of my life, I never felt proud of myself because I knew that my coping strategy was totally self-destructive.

Now, I feel like I AM the person I always wanted to be. It's an incredible feeling.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #8  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh yes, I totally agree! I have done things this past year that I never would have dreamed of before and I am contemplating others that I would have thought impossible just months ago.

Saef, that's brilliant! I know I'd be impressed if I saw it on a resume. I would think in some instances (health/fitness related careers) it probably WOULD be something to seriously include as related skills.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #9  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

It really does make you think!
I find myself pondering this whole journey often. Just a year ago I had the worst self-esteem, didn't believe I could do anything.
In the past year I have become so much stronger, mentally and physically, and having come this far, I truly believe if I put my mind to something and work hard enough I really can do anything. Losing the weight gave me the strength to try running, and running has made me feel stronger than I ever have in my life. Now I constantly want to find new challenges to overcome and celebrate how far I've come so far.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #10  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm not as far along in the journey as many of the previous posters are, but I am noticing some major mental changes as well. I'm starting to see this little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel of self-destruction, pain and embarrassment that I have created for myself. I am starting to feel more confident not only in my body, but in my ability to push through with my mind, and I often find myself thinking of lofty goals I'd like to pursue, things I never considered before, like rock climbing and scuba diving. I am starting to imagine actually doing this, not just dreaming of doing it, and in some ways I feel like my mind is already at those peaks and I am just waiting for my body to catch up. It's interesting and good to know I am not alone.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

You are SO right...it really does make you think. I was talking to my mom about it the other day and naming all the things I'd like to do that I always thought I couldn't b/c of my weight. I'd love to go parasailing...kayaking...white water rafting...rock climbing...etc!!! Now that I have changed my eating habits and see the weight coming off, it doesn't seem like such a far off thing anymore. I've still got a long ways to go, but I have no doubt that this time next year I'll be doing some of those things!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Saef - brilliant!!!!!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Okay, now I know which of you chicks are working or at one time have worked in corporate America, or at least, have become bilingual in corporatespeak.

;-)

But deep down, I'm serious.

Anyone working on weight loss is a project manager & has to go through most of these phases & maybe some others also.

Everyone here is underestimating themselves & the skill set [buzzword] required to do this project.

And I consider it a transferable [buzzword] skill set, to other areas of life.

Also, as the motivational posters on cube walls say, wins lead to wins [buzzword], success leads to success.

I'm not surprised this effort would inspire people to take the lessons learned and best practices [buzzword, buzzword) & apply them to other projects & issues in their lives.

[BUZZWORD BINGO!!!!!!!!!!]

Or to talk like a real person again: Many of us were made to feel incompetent & less than adequate because we were fat, even if we had other areas in our lives humming along well or even superbly. We were even made to feel less than feminine sometimes because we hadn't managed what women are supposed to know instinctively: How to make themselves attractive through self-care. We always had this failure shoved in our face, whenever we faced a mirror, a clothing store, any form of media featuring an attractive female model. Then, for whatever reason, we were able to make a serious effort & we actually met with some success. It ended a feeling of powerlessness & victimization & yes, even self-loathing, for some. No wonder many of us feel suddenly capable & like we have finally come into our own & can become [okay, I'm laping into a buzzword again ...] change agents. I mean agents for change. [There has to be a civilian way of saying that, but it escapes me. Need more corporate coffee.]

Last edited by saef; 07-16-2010 at 10:29 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #14  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #15  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

calluna is offline   Reply With Quote