Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 07:05 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Default Weekend Chat 2-22 and 2-23

Join in!!

I'm sitting here listening to a thunderstorm!! Thunder, lighting, heavy rain the whole 9 yards. The cat woke me up to feed his sorry butt, now he's snoozing.

Not sure what I'm doing today. There is a new Home Depot opening today. It's a Landscape Home Depot.......could be interesting. Of course, there are free food and prizes......always good. They also sent out $10.00 coupons. If the rain stops, which it is supposed to, I may drag hubby to Home Depot........with the rest of the population of Snellville Georgia.

Know what I did yesterday??? I had the urge to sit on the floor, I know strange. Most of you will understand, that before the weight loss it was near impossible to sit on the floor without the help of a crane to get back up. I sat on the floor........rolled around with the dog......and got back up, all on my own!!! All the little things that thin people take for granted.

On that note, I have a question for everyone. If your post-op, what is the one thing you can do now that you could not do before, and if pre-op what are you looking forward to doing?

For me, it's being able to cross my legs. At over 300 pounds I couldn't cross my legs with the help of God Now I can cross my legs and I have a lap. The earlier mentioned lazy cat, gets in that lap everytime I sit down. I can cross either the right or left leg and I have a place to put my hands.......in my new found lap.......instead of flopping by my side. I've noticed when I sit in meetings for daughter's band, I'm much more comfortable.

I have rambled on enough.........off for more coffee.

Debbie
Old 02-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning! Sitting on the floor and playing with the doggage is great, Deb! My girls love it.
I hope y'all have a great weekend. (If I talk southern, will Spring come faster? Shall I try for Big Hair too?)
Old 02-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #3  

HEY! i think the idea of a daily over here is a GREAT idea, Debbie!!!!

I bet you had a big grin on your face while rolling around on the floor with your dog!!! Were you by yourself, or were your kids watching!!!!????

Food and Prizes....I'm in!!!

What do I want to be able to do when I am post op? I want freedom of movement. I want to be comfortable. I want to stop wearing the three old and comfy t shirts that I have been wearing and put on something nice. I don't want to wear black all the time....gee, I could go on and on but the kids are yammering!!!!

Gosh it is good to be back on line again!!!! (have I mentioned that?)

me and arnold...."I'll be back!"

peach
ps, Ruth, we Jersey girls will teach you how to back comb!!! You'll look lovely, but ya gotta drop the "eh"!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:26 AM   #4  

Well for John I'm looking forward to walks, being able to work out in the yard.

He said of course the first thing is lack of pain, back, knees, etc.

Today will consist of cleaning, and getting everything ready for next week!
Old 02-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #5  

hi everyone!!

for me, it will be to cross my legs. i thought i was the only one on that one!! it will also to be able to be comfortable in all aspects. i have to attend a lot of business meetings and i am always uncomfortable. the chairs in our conferrence rooms are itty bitty and i am not. another thing would be able to fly somewhere and actually be able to fit in the seat or go to a movie and fit in the seat! i could go on and on. i will stop there.

i hope everyone has a fantastic day! i have an interview for college in a few hours. wish me luck!!
Old 02-22-2003, 07:13 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

wow!!! well, the cat and dog got into a little tussle and knocked over my laptop, breaking the pcmcia modem, and i JUST installed a new one.. two days without my home computer!!! i've been posting from work, which means it has to be brief.

now, i realized about a month ago that i could cross my legs!! I HADN'T EVEN TRIED IT!!! it's still a bit of a shock. and every time i sit in a chair that has arms, i kind of wiggle around, seeing what kind of room i have in it. and there's ALWAYS a little extra.

and my darlin little cat is really enjoying the lap. but i've also been knitting,. could that have ANYTHING to do with it? but there is one thing about this little kitty: she kneads a lot, always has. and her favorite spot has always been my side [i sleep on my side]. but it's bony now, and she's been exploring for other places to knead, looking for something soft... she's reaching waaayyy over to get to my belly!

haven't tried getting on the floor... maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised?????
Old 02-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #7  
she who must be obeyed

Good Sunday morning all!!

peach the day I was "rolling" on the floor, the daughter was in the den.........just in case I needed help up I didn't tell her I was getting on the floor.........didn't need her laughing at me.

Heaven I flew for the first time in a long time in December, flew coach and fit with no problem, no seat belt extender, the tray table came down with room to spare and I'm still over 200 pounds. I tell you it was a good feeling!! I still prefer First Class tho

Luna, I can relate to the "getting rid of pain" part of wls. I had horrible knee pain before surgery. Now I can walk without pain.........it's a great feeling. While the pain is not completely gone, I still have times where it will flare up, it is not a daily thing anymore. Maybe a day or two every 3 or 4 weeks my knee will flare up.

Jiff I bet you could get on the floor and back up........in a, well......jiffy!!

We did manage to get to the landscape Home Depot yesterday......it's a shame it's too soon to plant......the place was full of neat stuff. And, they were serving fried chicken, bbq beans, potato salad, rolls. cake and sodas.......no charge. We skipped it, had a late breakfast.

I need to get off and do something productive.

Debbie
Old 02-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #8  

I made our reservations yesterday. We will be leaving on Monday afternoon, check in to the hotel, get John's lovely pre-surgery stuff done, and get this show on the road.

I got most of my cleaning done yesterday. Have a few more loads of laundry to do, hang everything up, and get the kids packed to go to the grandparents for a few days.

I will try to post tomorrow, but if I do not get the chance, John has to check in to the hospital Tuesday at 7:30 am. Our first hurdle is that his blood sugar be under 200 (I think we will clear that fine, it has never been that high). Then his surgery should be around 9:00 so please say a prayer for us.

I am planning to stay the night with him, so I will try to post back either Wednesday night or Thursday! Wish up luck all!
Old 02-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #9  

i wish you much luck, luna. i will say some prayers for you and your family.

deb, oh i can only wait to fly and be able to put the tray down!! how exciting will that be!!!!!

i have to share an instance that happened to me yesterday. my friend and i went out for lunch to celebrate how good my interview for school went. we went to a chinese place because that is currently my favorite food. as i was trying to go back to my seat, this man steps in front of me and goes, "you know, you are to beautiful to be overweight." i didn't know whether to sock him or thank him.

for those of you who had the surgery, how do you deal with the people who comment on you? do you tell them what you had done?
Old 02-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

many prayers and good wishes for you and john, luna.

and heaven... the wls is a touchy issue for some folks. and not for others. i tell just about everyone. there's been a point that people have noticed, and realized that SOMETHING drastic had happened. everyone knows that it's not natural to lose 100 pounds in a very few months without SOMETHING. no diet will do that.

but i'm noticing that some people, those who are only now meeting me for the first time, are encouraging about my weight without knowing how far i've come: things like 'keep up the good work' and 'it'll come off' and 'maybe you should try this'

in some respects, it's kind of like i'm normally overweight, with the same struggle everyone else is facing. but i know that it's a bit different.

these 'new people' are a bit of a problem. and so far, i'm not telling them what's happened. not for awhile, at least.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:44 PM   #11  

jiffy, that you. there are a few people who i have talked to it about. i work at my health insurance company (no killing me, please!!!) and one of the girls took a call from my doctor's office for benefits. she then asked my close friend who also works there if she knew i was going to have it done. my friend said of course and the girl wanted to ask me some questions because she is thinking of having it done as well. so, i answered all her questions. i have told a few of my good friends, my family, of course, and i had to tell my supervisor why i would be off work for a bit. i was just curious on people's reaction who didn't know you were going to do it. i am a very open person and i am struggling with this a great deal. (yes, i worry entirely too much. and no, i havent even had the surgery yet!!) my friends who are close to me are all aware of this being a life changing thing and they are all very very helpful. one has offered to join the Y with me again and my guy best friend has offered to do anything in the world he can. those poeple, i have no worries about at all.

anyone else have input?
Old 02-23-2003, 05:58 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh. and one more thing. because i was so very very sick going in, even people who are generally absolutely against it [like it's their business!!!!!] realize that i had no other choice. they don't understand that i should have done this long before so i didn't get so sick.

in some cases, i've also turned the conversation around to THEM, as in 'how many diets have YOU gone on? and how much weight have you lost and regained? that usually puts things in a completely different perspective for them.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:11 PM   #13  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

I've had both positive and negative reactions. I am very witty and have come up with a few good retorts. I have to make sure that I continue to walk in God's grace as what I'd really like to say - I can't - if I want to be obedient!

However, most people stop when I say, ' . . . it was MY decision and I am the one that has to live with it. ' I've found that once people are properly educated about the surgery - they are better able to accept it. I am only 2 weeks post op and still plagued with fevers!!!!!!!! I am sure there will be many many more questions in the future. I am going to remain positive by remembering, I did this for me, not to please or gain approval from anyone else.

I keep having the same dream - me giving a talk - in February 2004 and with 3 fifty pound potato sacks around me symbolizing the weight that I have lost. I am holding on to that dream.

was anybody else plagued with fevers (fluctuate from 100 - 102) and usually happen after I've been very active. Like usually later in the day around 6:00 p.m. Although today it came early - because I was at church all morning.

And remember I've had every test known to man to check for infections .... I was wondering if it could be a vitamin deficiency already? Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

interesting about the fevers. but since you're saying that it happens after a busy day, maybe you need to take it easy! It takes energy to heal, and maybe if you're using too much of it running around you're not giving your body a chance to heal...
just a thought,
Closed Thread