Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Getting Beck Diet Solution this week, what to expect

I have heard nothing but good things about the diet solution book and I have been wanting to read it for some time. Local book stores didn't have it but I managed to track down a copy along with an unused workbook. I should be getting it this week I decided to follow the book because, although I have lost weight through calorie counting, I still have unresolved binging and night time eating issues to deal with. I really hope the book can help me think differently about food because I have found myself slipping more lately and craving old unhealthy favorites again. I basically wanted to introduce myself because I will be be posting in this section once I do some reading.

I am also wondering what to expect once I start the book. Is there a specific program to follow and how strict is it? Has the book helped others with night time eating and unhealthy feelings toward food in general. Any insight is very appreciated!
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Hi sweetnlow28! I look forward to seeing you on the chat thread.

The Beck Diet Solution (pink book) with workbook has a 6-week, 42 day program of learning a new skill each day. But you're encouraged to take more days for concepts or tasks that are difficult for you. There is no diet in the book; you can use it with any diet you choose including calorie counting.

The book definitely helps with the issues that are troubling you. I no longer eat after supper except the one thing I have on my plan to eat then, and often not that if I don't happen to be hungry or just generally distract myself away from the kitchen.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Sweetnlow28,

Welcome! I have tried many weight loss techniques and programs over the years, and feel I found the missing key when I read the Beck books. I hope you like them !!

I started with the pink book, then the workbook, and recently got the green book. Each has similar content, but are slightly different. The green book talks more about specific foods/calorie counting, which wasn't too helpful for me. The thinking/behavior skills were the parts I needed to learn and practice.

I have trouble with binging (only occasionally now). The Beck skills help me figure out what I am thinking before and during, how to get back on my diet program, and how to learn from 'mistakes', among many other benefits.

The book does have a program where skills build over time. I followed it mentally the first go-round or two, and recently am making an effort to follow it more to the letter. There is a lot to learn and practice, so I have found it doesn't get stale or old to review as situations change.

I'm excited for you and hope you enjoy the Beck ideas as much as I do!

Woodland
Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Hi sweetnlow28 - I think you're onto the secret with "I really hope the book can help me think differently about food." Yep, that's what the program does, IMHO.

There is a program of strategies to follow your own choice of food plan and exercise plan. The strict part is to plan every single day in advance. And to review your Advantages Response Card every single day. It sounds so trivial or childish until you start to do it, and discover yourself following your plan, again, every single day. The benefits begin to add up.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi sweetnlow and to Beck

I've been working with the Beck principles for about 3 months now. Like you, I have lost a substantial amount of weight but am very aware of lingering behavioral issues. Learning these tools and practicing them in my daily life has been very helpful.

The green Beck book does have a suggested food plan, however I am very happy on South Beach Diet so I continue with my original food plan. I worked through the daily tasks in the pink book/workbook with a SBD partner. We were able to skim over some days since we were already following a food plan. Not rushing through really helped. Having the tools at hand, I'm ready to take another step forward by really integrating the Beck tools into my everyday life-especially in the areas that need work. Night eating is my downfall.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #6  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Default Just ordered the Beck book

I thought I'd introduce myself to this forum. I have been with Metabolic Research Center since mid-April and I've lost 19 pounds. I am a teacher, so summer vacation just started for me. I figure this is a great time to work on cognitive change since I no longer have the structure of a regular work day to keep me in bounds. I realized after the last few days of "stinkin' thinkin'" that my head will always get turned if I don't learn some new skills! I ordered a used book through Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive.
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

So glad you posted.

I have the first Pink book and the workbook. (I don't have the third book that has a food plan) These books help teach you how to 'live' in a world filled with lots food.

Sometimes I think many of know alot about nutrition and even losing weight. But, Dr. Beck has created concrete ways to have a sane relationship with food. It has helped me, many times, to have the tools to get through the hard times in a food situation.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-10-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

I also just ordered the pink book! It should arrive early next week!

I have a problem with trigger foods. I know what they are, and I have no problem quitting them cold turkey in the beginning of a diet... but at some point I feel deprived and then they come back to derail me... I hope the book can help me change my relationship to trigger foods in particular.

The success that everyone seems to be having with the books is very inspiring!
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Hi loveAcat - Glad that you've discovered the Beck books.

Yep, I think the Beck strategies can help with trigger foods, especially the strategy to PLAN each day.

Let us know when your book arrives and you're ready to join in the discussion/Buddy/Coach thread.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystarrider View Post
I thought I'd introduce myself to this forum. I have been with Metabolic Research Center since mid-April and I've lost 19 pounds. I am a teacher, so summer vacation just started for me. I figure this is a great time to work on cognitive change since I no longer have the structure of a regular work day to keep me in bounds. I realized after the last few days of "stinkin' thinkin'" that my head will always get turned if I don't learn some new skills! I ordered a used book through Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive.
Hi ladystarrider - Hope your book has arrived and your summer off from teaching is going well.

When you're ready, come on over to the monthly thread and join the fun.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Hi loveAcat - Glad that you've discovered the Beck books.

Yep, I think the Beck strategies can help with trigger foods, especially the strategy to PLAN each day.

Let us know when your book arrives and you're ready to join in the discussion/Buddy/Coach thread.
It shipped! hooray hopefully, I'll see everyone here soon
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #12  

Wow, I love the advice this book offers. Cognitive behavior therapy is so successful in treating mental health issues like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and it makes sense to transfer those principles to weight loss.

Overcoming sabotaging thoughts is probably one of the biggest struggles that anyone faces. It's easy to say "I'll never lose this weight, I'm not good enough" or other harmful things that keep us from achieving our goals. I also like the advice of planning in advance - before I started to lose weight, I mentally prepared myself for what I wanted to accomplish and it definitely helped.
Jehnavi is offline   Reply With Quote