South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #1  
Awesome Super Cool Member

S/C/G: 305/251/204.5

Default Long term successes

I would like to lose weight and I'm thinking about giving SB a try. The thing I'm seeing is that members will lose weight then fall off the wagon and have to do it all over again. Is there anyone out there that has lost all their weight and sucessfully kept it off?

Or is this just another fad diet I should avoid?
applegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

me...3 years and a lifetime ahead.
Nothing fad about it. Just healthy eating.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Applegirl

I'm not to goal, but I've been following SBD principles for over a year now. The "diet" works, and I'm with Cat, it's about healthy eating. Falling off the wagon and having to do it all over again-well that's a personal thing and doesn't have anything to do with the diet. I continue to work on my behavioral issues every day which seriously contributed to my being overweight in the first place.

I chose SBD for several reasons;
1.) My years of poor eating habits had caught up to my health and SBD seemed to be a plan to help me address high blood pressure and cholesterol issues.
2.) I wanted to follow a healthy food lifestyle.
3.) I wanted to start a new relationship with food which didn't include counting calories (although many Beachers do).

I lost a lot of weight by just eating healthier, without a specific plan. What I really like about SBD is that I have taken it a step further and no longer eat the few foods which are higher on the glycemic scale.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

93 lbs lost, 80 on South Beach. Maintaining a little over 2 years and living SBD principles almost 3

as Cat and Debbie said this is just a healthy way to eat. My cholesterol, blood pressure and inflammation levels are all excellent now and I feel 10 years younger. My diabetic DW has been eating the meals I cook and her A1C has improved and her cholesterol and BP are also really good.

Last edited by CyndiM; 07-08-2010 at 06:41 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I've been on SB for 2 1/2 years and maintaining the last 2 years. I lost weight on Weight Watchers many times over, but always gained it back. This is the only way of eating that I have been able to make a lifestyle and maintain. Did I mention I love SB!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I've been on south beach over two years. I maintain about 4 lbs higher than my low average, but with young children I tend to cheat more than I should. But, it has completely changed the way I eat, and I feel and look a lot healthier than I used to. Yay for SBD!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

Height: 5'3"

I've only been on 4 months and I'm not at goal either but I can see eating like this for a good long time. It is healthier and seriously, when you treat yourself you don't feel like it's a treat, just something you can have once in a while. You really do lose the cravings for it when you stick to the diet.

I say this not lightly at all. I was a candy bar or at least a muffin a day kind of person. I didn't think I could live without chocolate. Then I went 6 weeks without it for this diet and realized I can! So I have the dark chocolate squares once in a while for dessert and that's enough. I've been waaaaaaay too indulgent lately and you know what? I only gained 3lbs back. I can lost that by getting back into the right eating and moving more in no time. I like this "diet" more than anything I've tried. I've tried a few!

Edit: I just wanted to add that if you peruse the recipe section for this diet in this forum there are so many ideas and they are so good that there's no excuse that you have nothing to eat or no ideas. Plus the quick cookbook has a ton of good things but, I've made a few recipes posted here and they are GOOD!

Last edited by Restypines; 07-09-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #8  

I am in my fourth year of maintaining a 30 lb. loss...This is a lifestyle and not a diet...I can't say enough good things about SBD...My past diet experiences provided weight loss but no long term success in maintaining my loss...I am a master at Weight Watchers, the low fat ADA diet, etc., etc...Losing is easy...maintaing is hard... Now, I absolutely will not allow myself to gain this weight back...SBD is my way of life...What else can I say...
crutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #9  
Ventura County, CA

S/C/G: 196.4/190.0/165

Height: 5'7"

Your posts are encouraging to me as well - just 2 weeks on SB now and down 5 pounds! I'm hoping that this is the last time I have to go through this "dieting" and can get to the maintenance point and not obsess over foods.

The thing I like best about SB is as long as I stick to the plan and eat "legal" foods - I don't need to count calories, measure, weigh and keep a diary of my foods. Now, all of those things are not bad if you want to be really strict, but for me, it drives me nuts. I just try to make the best choice I can with each snack, each meal and hope for the best.

Oh, I do exercise about 4 times a week too. :-)
pamhoff805 is offline   Reply With Quote