Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Giving the scale too much power

I had my weekly weigh-in this morning, and was horribly disappointed to discover I'd gained 1.4 pounds. I made the person at WW weigh me again. I've been having great days (except for last Friday, I've had all "4 pt." days), started lifting weights, and started an aerobics class. Why a gain?

I sat through the first part of the meeting obsessed with that number, and feeling like a failure. Then the leader gave flowers to a woman who has lost 201 pounds. 201 pounds! Can you imagine? She has probably 100 more to lose. But just think what it's taken for this person to stick with it for all this time. The ups and downs she's probably endured, but she's managed to stay with the program week after week without quitting.

My little 1.4 lb. gain started to seem kind of insignificant, and I realized that along this journey I'm going to lose and gain and lose and eventually make it if I have even 1/3 of the perserverance of the lady who has lost 201 lbs.

My first step is to quit looking at my "failures" and look at my successes. I'm 24 lbs. lighter than I was in the fall. I can walk up hills without huffing and puffing. My clothes went from tight, to fitting, to baggy. I discovered the joy of moving my body again. I have more energy. And I'm sure I could think of a lot more things.

So, while I"m still going to keep on looking at my mini-goals, I'm also going to get out of the mindset that gaining is failure, and losing is success. There's a lot more to success than those numbers!
Old 02-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #2  
Searching

First off if you start lifting weights sometimes you gain or like me you can maintain forever. My clothes keep getting looser my hips are shrinking and I continue to diet. But that gosh darn scale is going no where. So I have chosen to ignore it and keep trying. This is my advice for everyone, keep movin and groovin cause it feels so good!!!!!!!!!

201 lbs, that is wonderful! She lost 2 people!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! How far we come.
Miss Chris
Old 02-21-2003, 03:56 PM   #3  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Wow 201lbs is amazing.

I'm with Chris on this one, I am just ignoring the scale. I am healthier, happier and I know I look good. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'll get there. Scales are so depressing, I hate my scale lol.
Closed Thread