Thread: Carb confusion
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
whencatsattack
A.K.A. Michelle

S/C/G: 253/233.6/150

Height: 5'5

I agree with some of the other posters about going with what works for you. I try to keep my carbs around 50-55% and mostly complex carbs, but I have PCOS and suffer from insulin resistance, so it's important that I do this.

I've heard people say for me to go even lower, but I've had good energy (after the initial sugar withdrawal slump) & have lost weight at this level, so I will stick with it until it no longer works for me. If my energy dips again or I stop losing weight and there are no other factors, then I might consider tweaking it.

It's also not really how many carbs you eat, but what kind they are. If they are "complex" carbs, like wheat instead of white, or items like whole fruit instead of juice, then it's probably OK to have a decent amount of carbs (as long as your body cooperates).

I think one of the most important things is to try to group meals & snacks. Try to have a carb, a protein, & a fat. The carbs will give you a quick boost of energy, while the protein helps build muscle & keep your energy going, and the fat will help you feel full.
whencatsattack is offline   Reply With Quote