Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default First day of a two week trip...big test

I'm kind of nervous. I'm a college student at school in Alabama, but I'm home in Wyoming on a two week trip right now. And, my boyfriend is coming home from Iraq on his two week leave. So, it's pretty much a big deal. There will be lots of parties (bbq's, grill outs, welcome home dinners, lots of beer) and other things to throw me off. I got in late last night, and now it's morning of my first full day, and I'm amazed at how thrown off I feel now that I can't follow my normal routine. I'm just walking around confused. I didn't weigh this morning, and won't be able to until I'm home. That makes me nervous. I can't the foods that I eat everyday at my normal times. I don't have my gym, my exercise DVD's, my normal measured walk/jog route, my schedule, etc etc. Everything is just different.

So, I'm going into this as a challenge, and I'm kind of excited. This is like "hooray, you reached goal, now you have to pass the big maintenance test!" It's like I've learned all these tools to be on top of my weight, but now I'm totally thrown out of my comfort zone and have to use what I know in a new situation.

I packed my own food for the full day of travelling yesterday, and ate a solid balanced breakfast at home and then a packed lunch and dinner. I wasn't even tempted by all the goodies while walking around the airport. I was proud of myself for that, I used to love getting overpriced Chinese food at the airport and people watching. Today, I made it very clear to my dad and stepmom (who were in absolute disbelief at how much smaller I am, haha) that I will take care of my food and they don't need to worry about it, but I'd need to go on a shopping trip for Megan food. So this morning, after a nice walk, I went to the grocery store and got all of my essentials such as oatmeal, light sandwich stuff, crystal light packets, and some other things. I'll make my own breakfasts and lunches that are perfectly within my normal plan, and I'll eat what they serve for dinner. Fortunately, they cook healthy foods. Garden-grown veggies and a lean protein most nights.

Of course, there will be a few splurge days, and I plan on enjoying the festivities in moderation. I will have a beer, but I will not have chips. I will have a hamburger pattie and a salad, but I will not have a cheeseburger with a few veggies on it. I will calorie count like normal. I'm not going to ruin my trip with being paranoid about my eating, but I am certainly not going to ruin my eating by enjoying my trip in an overindulgent way. As always, moderation is key every way you look at it.

So, I guess it's sink or swim time I plan on swimmin'.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You will do great on this trip - and can't wait to hear about your bf's reaction to the new you! You are off to a good start already with your grocery run. You have got this in the bag!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #3  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

you actually sound really prepared and aware of everything you are doing so it sounds like you've got it all under control! congrats on your loss! and have fun enjoying sharing that with everyone who hasn't seen you in a while.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

You sound well prepared mentally. You can do this.

I'm sure the time change and altitude change has you in your fog this morning. But you'll come around. Get out and enjoy Wyoming. Go site seeing or hiking with the BF and spend some good quality time with him.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

You are totally prepared and can do this. As far as your exercise you can go walking anywhere right?

Have you told the boyfriend that you have lost weight? I can't wait to hear his reaction either! How fun!!!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

LOL, I don't even know you and I am so proud of you!! You are doing exactly what you should be doing!! I can't wait to hear about your BF's reaction, too! (BTW, thank him for me for his service to our country.)

Try to move your body somehow. Maybe go to a mall and walk stairs if it has two levels?

You go girlie!!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

It seems like you have made some great plans to get through this and I think that is pretty ding dang awesome in itself. Congrats, good luck and have fun with your family and your feller
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

Mkendrick, I looooove this! This is one of my BIG problems... not only going on vacation from my healthy life, but going HOME. Plus fun and beer with friends. Plus your sweety coming home?!?! Please keep us updated, I will be thrilled for you when you pull this off!

I like that you have a well-laid plan, and like posters above have mentioned, you seem to be mentally prepared for the challenge. BEST of luck!!!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #9  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

mkendrick - First I always love your posts! You are amazing! I have been waiting to see what you posted when your BF comes home! Stay with your plan - you can do it! Be a little gentle with yourself on the exercise front if the altitude and time change bother you. Take some time to get used to it just keep moving slower if necessary! I am just south of you here in Colorado sending good thoughts to you up in Wild Wonderful Wyoming!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #10  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I'm going to kinda journal/update on this thread throughout the trip for my own accountability. Feel free to ignore, hehe, but if anybody else is on a trip, going on a trip, or has thoughts about living healthy while on a trip, I'd love to hear your thoughts too!

So far, I'm 100% pleased with how I've stayed on plan. I'm eating breakfast and lunch perfectly within reason and counting everything like always. Dinners are a bit trickier to count, but I've been guesstimating and making healthy choices. Last night I had a small chunk of steak (I eyeballed a deck of cards size), a big salad with no dressing, a very small blob of baked beans, and passed on chips, potato salad, etc. We all went for ice cream at the park later, and I opted for an ice water instead.

I haven't been able to do a normal exercise routine, but this does not bother me. I'm not going to spend my limited time with my family and boyfriend working out. We have been doing a ton of walking around the mountains and around town, so I'm still active. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of fitness.

Somehow I'm finding resisting temptations even easier than normal. When a temptation comes when I'm on my normal routine, it's harder to resist. But now that I'm putting forth effort to consciously stay on plan while I'm in an unfamiliar situation, I'm not nearly as tempted. That was kind of unexpected, but I'm very happy that my mind is trained enough to actively make healthy decisions not just follow a healthy routine.

And for everyone who wanted to hear about my guy's reaction, I'm starting another thread...
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

... off to find the other thread...

Congrats on staying on plan. That is wonderful.

Ya know, if you find you are missing your exercise, doing some body weight stuff in your room (pushups, situps, squats) can help. Taking 10 mins to do them before a shower in the morning

But you will do just fine. Enjoy yourself.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote