Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #1  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Default PCOS....Why do you hinder me!?

I went to see my gyno today and as she was poking and prodding my ylang ylang, I asked her a few questions regarding PCOS. I was reading from several other members that they were not able to eat carbs while with PCOS. I asked my Gyno thinking she would give me atips regarding this and she said word for word: " Actually, studies, as well as the other colleagues and I, have found that carbs do not have an effect on PCOS. Of course, if you would like to continue with a low carb diet, go for it but do not think of it as off limits with PCOS"

What great news?! I mean, I am trying to minimize carbs anyway but this was great news.

Also-I am having a bit of dificulty with losing now. I think I am stuck..it hasn't been that long. Any tips from other PCOS losers (weight losers that is!)
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I don't have PCOS and don't really know much about it but we do have a forum here for it if you would like to check it out - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ce-support-70/
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Come on over! July thread is here.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...0-support.html

The PCOS dietitian book suggests lowering the carbs a bit to help manage the insulin resistance. If you go to the amazon.com preview

http://www.amazon.com/Dietitians-Gui...der_0615154565

and scroll it to page 203, 204, 205, 206 you will get the suggested exchanges at various calorie levels.

HTH!
A
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: .

Height: .

Hi, I have PCOS and IR as well. I'm taking 1000 mg of Metformin 2 times a day. I went to see a dietitian that specializes in PCOS/IR/Diabetes and she told me that carbs are NOT off limits for ladies with PCOS.
It is all about choosing the right kind of carbs. Basically avoid white carbs like white bread and pasta, replace them with a whole wheat variety. Sugar is not good either and should be limited. Rice is okay, she recommended Basmati. Potatoes are okay in small amounts, as long as they aren't fried (like french fries).
Basically if you follow a well balanced nutritional diet, then you will see a small steady weight loss. In my earlier days before I saw a dietitian, I went on a crash diet that cut out almost all carbs. I did lose weight and very quickly. I lost about 50 pounds in under 6 months. As soon as I started to eat carbs again, even whole wheat carbs, I gained all the weight back plus some. The dietitian later explained to me that you should never go on a diet that severely cuts out any food group. Your body needs foods from every group to stay healthy. If you cut out food groups, then you will go down a long road of yo-yo dieting and never see a permanent weight loss.
This is just what my dietitian told me, so use this advice at your own risk. I would suggest that you make an appointment with a dietitian yourself and they can make up a meal plan that will suit your health and life style. Good luck!
Goldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Shelly, it isn't the PCOS, it's the rolos, buttterfinger bites, popcorn chicken and chili cheese fritos that are stalling your weightloss. You can't eat stuff like that every day and lose weight. Even one of those things once a week will likely stall weightloss unless you are seriously on plan.

Everyone here wants to help you but you have to start by helping yourself. You bounce around from fad diet to fad diet but don't actually ever spend any time eating under the 1700 calories a day you are aiming for. I promise you, if you actually ate less than 1700 every day you'd lose weight.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

I have PCOS. In 2007, when I weighed 300 lbs, my fasting insulin was 43 (sky high) and my testosterone was 91 (sky high). After a year of what I would call "moderate" low carb--about 35% of my calories come from carbs, and those are almost all very, very complex carbs--my fasting insulin is 5.6 (the LOW LOW end of normal) and my testosterone is 30 (the low end of normal). I am not taking metformin.

Now, I don't know if it was the weight loss, the exercise, or the shift in carbs, but one CAN beat PCOS: it's a condition, not a jail sentence.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #7  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

When you say "low carb diet" people often immediately leap to the conclusion that this mean eating 3# of bacon for breakfast and an 8# steak for dinner and avoiding all fruits & veggies. It's no surprise, then, that they think low carb is unhealthy!

I do a low carb diet, and what this means for me is that I limit my carbs to 25%, and that I get my carb allotment almost exclusively from fruits & veggies. My body just hates grains so I get rid of them. Wheat is the worst so I avoid that entirely, and I only eat other grains occasionally. This is what works for me for controlling blood sugar, managing PCOS symptoms, and losing weight.

Is low carb the ONLY option for those with PCOS? Nope. You just have to experiment to find out what is right for you, and that may or may not be low carb.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I have PCOS and I eat a high carb diet (60% to 70% of my calories are carb calories). Carbs themselves don't really effect me much but refined carbs sure do. If I stick to whole foods, minimally processed carbs, I tend to do well but I'm a bit careful about grains most of the time. So I eat lots of fruits, veggies, legumes, etc but rarely have bread or crackers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #9  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

Well, I hate to say it, but I agree with Vladadog. I read some of your diet blog. Regardless of whether you have PCOS or not, you can't eat whatever you want, not exercise, and expect the scale to actually move downward.

Have you evaluated whether you are really ready to lose this weight? It sounds to me from reading your blog that you are just not ready to put the work in. I hope you can find what is holding you back, and acheive your goals, but eating candy and foot long chicken burrito thingys are not going to help you.

Are you going to look back a year from now and wish that you had really given it your all?

Best wishes to you, and I hope my post did not offend you. We all understand how difficult this journey is, but it is frustrating to hear people complain when they are not really trying.
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Vladadog as well. I see from your blog the symptoms of sugar addiction--which is an actual chemical thing, not something that is all "in your head." Similar to being an alcoholic, you are unable to control yourself when it comes to sugar and other refined carbs.

Your doctor may be right that "low carb" isn't necessary with PCOS, but the way you're eating currently, you will be unable to lose weight and the symptoms of your PCOS will only get worse. I do not believe you will find any woman with PCOS who can get away with eating like you do currently, and lose weight and eliminate her symptoms. Did you tell your doctor what you are really eating?

I highly recommend that you quit sugar and other white refined crap, cold-turkey. Give it a try for 30 days and see what it does for you.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Vladadog, renstwin and WarMaiden as well.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #12  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I have/had PCOS. I had a hysterectomy because my ovaries was so severly cystic I was bleeding to death.
I also have AN from my insulin resistance being so bad. That all being said. I am a BAD PCOS and I have lost 73lbs. Since Jan 18th 2010.
I have worked my butt off. Limited my food, changed the whole way we eat and live. You have to do the work...make it happen. Only you can decide if you want to be fat or fit.... good luck!
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

I have been diagnosed with PCOS since I was 15 - exactly half my life. The only true diet that has worked for me is healthy eating and EXERCISE. When I don't exercise, I don't lose - period. I have had weeks of healthy eating with high carbs and low carbs - that didn't affect me. I do think each peraon's body is different though, and you need to find what works for you!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #14  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

I appreciate everyone's support. Some opinions I respectfully disagree with. I know that I am ready to lose my weight. I have unfortunately come across some small battles while I am still keeping within my calories-thank you.
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #15  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

I checked out your blog after several people commented about it. I'd like to make a suggestion, and this is only because it is important for me. It may not be for you.

When I hit a bump in the road (meaning eat something I shouldn't or go on a full-tilt binge) I don't glorify it and I won't let myself write or think about it in graphic ecstatic detail. That mindset is detrimental and ultimately derails me. On my blog or in my journal and in my mind, it's just a mistake. That's all the words that are needed. Whatever that food was, it's what could kill me, and that's really all I need to think about and remember.

Just a suggestion for you. Not a criticism!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote