Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Overwhelmed by the Hype!! Help!!!

Ok, this usually happens after i've been back on plan 2 weeks or so...have seen a little bit of weight loss, but not dramatic results. I get caught up in the HYPE

the sugar burner vs. fat burner
only eat high protein and NO CARBS
eat good fats and NO BAD fats
if you do this it will speed up your weight loss....
best exercise for weight loss is THIS not THAT!

I took some before pics for this go round, and it always makes me feel so insecure and like I want to hurry up and get the process over with...AND i start thinking, what can I do this time, to not get derailed during a plateau or such...

and then I feel bombarded with HYPE...

please just share with me, you weight lossers with the BASIC regimine of eating healthier and exercising more...how you lost your weight and how this BASIC formula is keeping you from gaining it back!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

You're killin' me kid!

Hugs....

for me it's simple.....calories in....calories out!

I blow it all the time as you well know but bottom line...for me...if I spend more calories than I take in I lose weight.

Be good!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

What's worked for me are the books by Judith Beck. She specializes in applying Cognitive Behavioral Techniques to weight loss. The Beck Diet Solution is not a diet, but helps you stay on whatever diet you choose. The Complete Beck Diet for Life has a healthy eating plan included.

The principles that have helped me most are planning (for several months, I wrote my food plan out the night before until things got so engrained that I can plan it in my head most days) and persistence (I rarely go off plan, but when I do I try to figure out why that happened and how to prevent it from happening again -- and then get right back to it). I've actually now been on three different diets, starting a new one when I plateaued after each twenty pound loss. There are lots of healthy ways to lose weight -- I say, choose one and try it for awhile. You can always try another later on to see how it fits for you.

You have a great start, recognizing that your desire for drama leads you to want to trust the hype, and reframing that desire to one for a basic plan that leads to long term weight loss and maintenance.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
You're killin' me kid!

Hugs....

I blow it all the time as you well know but bottom line...for me...if I spend more calories than I take in I lose weight.

Be good!

For me as well.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #5  

For me it's pretty simple too.... Less food,more action. I still to a certain calorie amount, and I exercise. Calories in, calories out. It's not an exact science, it takes tweaking to find out exactly what works for you, but you can do it. Avoid the hype and the craziness and work on finding a healthy lifestyle that works for you. What you can live with long term.

You CAN do this!!
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #6  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

The weight loss industry is filled with hype because no one has found the "perfect" diet/exercise solution for every overweight person. One decade focuses on very low calorie eating, another on ultra fitness regimens. I have found combining all of these ideas into a practical, easy and manageable plan for myself has worked so far. If my body begins to respond in a way I'm not comfortable with (like gaining weight ), I will change and fine-tune my plan. It's worked before and it will work again! Good luck finding a plan that works for you!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No hype here either. No diets to go on and off. No stopping and starting - just continuing on. Creating a new normal for yourself (& family). As corny as it sounds - if you want it off once and for all and permanently - it's got to be a lifestyle change.

Just good wholesome foods.. As close to nature as possible. Count calories - making them good ones, wanting to get the very most for my calorie buck - well that took care of all of the percentages.

Wanting to speed up the weight loss? Well, that's why I stayed on plan - day after day after day - holidays, birthdays, stress, happiness, anger, joy, boredom, yada, yada. You stay on plan - the weight comes off in a timelier fashion. Consistency. If time is not an issue for you, then that's another matter. That is a personal matter/decision, but you did mention speed.

Lots of people will say find a plan that you CAN stick to, but I think it's more important to find (devise) a plan that you are WILLING to stick with. Accepting the fact that a change must occur. Rules, boundaries, limitations - there has to be some. There IS a restrictive component to weight loss/maintenance/good health. Not that I feel restricted adhering to a healthy lifestyle (nothing was more restrictive than being overweight), but that it can't be an all out, open ended eat whatever you want food fest.

My biggest suggestion/tip would be to plan ahead. Plan out your food schedule in advance. Know where each and every meal/snack is coming from AHEAD OF TIME. Have it ready. Know it beforehand. Much easier (& wiser) to stay on plan, when you've got one. Don't wing it. Eating well won't happen on it's own. It's got to be planned for.

Know that you have the ability to lose the weight. We are all capable of it. You don't have to be overweight if you don't want to be. It is within your hands. You hold the key. You've got the power.

I also urge you not to dread the changes that have to occur, but embrace them. Look forward to them, get excited. Being slim, trim, active, fit and healthy is a lovely way to be as is adhering to this healthy lifestyle in and of itself.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-06-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Gosh I just read a great book that really sums up why to ignore the hype, basically saying that all those fads are just fads and all those "diets" are missing the big picture. It was call The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto. I didn't learn anything new, it just confirmed everything I know.

But anyway, no fad, no hype here. Just basic calorie counting. Yes it's taken me 4 years to lose it, but I had a baby and still indulge from time to time (but that is a choice and no a days it's part of my plan so at worst I maintain durning that time). Any diet will work as long as it put you in a calorie deficit. How far you want to go with nurtition and fitness is a whole other topic an up to you. Good luck.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most of the hype is created not by the diet designers, but by people criticising the diets.

For example. Atkins is not a zero carb plan, but it's often criticized on those grounds. Induction level is the lowest carb level and it only lasts two weeks, but the diet is consistently critiques based on the induction level alone (Largely because the plan doesn't tell anyone what their ideal carb level for weight loss is, you're supposed to find it on your own by increasing your carb level by 5g every week until you stop losing, then you back down to the level that allows you to keep losing).

South Beach is often criticised for being the "good carb, good fat" plan, for foods that it "bans," but when you read the book, the authour isn't banning anything. For example, Southn Beach os often criticised for "banning" some foods like potatoes and corn, but if you read the book the author puts those foods on a list that is not entitiled FORBIDDEN FOODS, Never eat or be damned, it's entitled "limit or eat rarely."

People don't like "common sense" they want extreme. And if a plan isn't extreme, they'll often interpret it in the most extreme way possible. "Avoid," and "limit" somehow gets translated into "eat one bite and the diet gods will damn yoy for all eternity.

You avoid the hype, by recognizing it as hype. Realize that progress matters more than perfection and there is no diet "magic." One tiny misstep will not undo (in a single "poof") all the progress you've made. Breaking or bending "rules" will not doom you to diet failure.

I need to follow a low-carb diet, because high carb foods make me ravenously hungry. Even when I control calories, I lose more on 1800 calories of low-carb as I do on 1800 calories of high carb. That doesn't mean low-carb is magic, or that high-carb is the devil's diet. I strongly believe that different people do better on different diets, for both physiological and psychological reasons. There is no best diet, only the best diet for you.

You find it by experimenting. For me a food journal has helped tremendously (I never would have realized that low-carb worked better than high-carb, if I hadn't been able to discover the pattern through my food journals).

I personally love exchange plans, because almost any way of eating can be translated into an exchange plan. Exchange plans are nearly as flexible as straight calorie counting. There are resources that list the exchange counts just as there are calorie counting resources. Virtually all exchange plans are still based on the first exchange system that was developed for diabetics in the 1950's. As a result, most exchange plan cookbooks can be used on most exchange plans (the number of exchanges may vary from plan to plan, but what constitues a protein exchange or a dairy exchange, for example hasn't changed, so you can even use old cookbooks).

All I did to make my plan low-carb was to swap out some of the bread/starch exchanges for protein. I can swap back any time I want. If I decide I want a plan that includes more fruit and less of something else, that's fine too.

Remember that you're in control. Anything you don't agree with, you can change (at least as an experiment). For example when I was following South Beach, even though sweet corn, watermelon, and pineapple were on the "limit or avoid" lists, I didn't limit or avoid them. I avoided most corn (especially corn as a grain), but not summer sweet corn on the cob. I avoided canned pineapple, but not fresh. I didn't avoid watermelon either).

When I stopped losing on South Beach, I did try being more respectful of the avoid lists. Even when I stuck to the diet more stringently, I found it hard to lose weight, because it's so easy for me to overeat even the healthiest foods. So I went back to exchange planning, and tried to make most of my choices using South Beach principles. Trying to choose "whole foods" more often than processed foods.

Now I'm still following an exchange plan of my design, only applying Primal Blueprint philosophy rather than South Beach.

You do not have to pick a WOE and follow it to your goal weight. I've lost my 85 lbs on at least four different plans (and several variations of each plan), and who knows how many by the time I reach goal.

Tweak, tweak, tweak. Always remember that you're in control, and you can follow or design any plan that you choose to. Decide what is most important to you, and then run with it. If it doesn't work - tweak some more.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #10  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:

Can't word it any better than what EZ said above.

No hype or mysteries here. I'm just keeping carbs very low & keeping track of calories and cycling them when needed, drink 1/2 my weight in oz for water ...& lots of exercise. I don't "reward" myself with food for a job well done...I'm not a lab rat or a K9, so I find that whole reward thing just silly. I don't take any pills to "boost my metabolism"...although I'll take 1 or 2 Walgreens Caffeine pills before I swim laps in the pool at night to work against the days exhaustion .. I don't take anything for regular exercise or strength training. Just as important for me is sleep...I lose more when I snooze good. When I feel like giving up from frustration...I just keep on chugging along & try to work on my patience a bit...and swat that devil sitting on my shoulder away. You just have to want it badly enough. I'm never really eating or doing anything "just so" on a constant basis...am always changing it up because my body changes what it seems to want to respond to. A lot of playing with things at times...even my exercise.

Please don't upset yourself from not seeing dramatic results so early on. I didn't even really begin to feel or see results until I was 280 from 308...28 lbs lost into it. Not a single friend even noticed a dramatic change in me until I hit exactly 252lbs... 56 lbs lost into it.

Hope you find something that works for you soon.

Last edited by MissKelly; 07-06-2010 at 08:33 PM.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #11  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

I've been feeling the same way, and a bit embarrased to ask. I'm afraid that if I add carbs I won't lose. Its not logical... I know. Calories in/Calories out sounds pretty smart. And I bet there is more nutrition in that as oppose to what I'm doing and you may be doing.
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I know it *should* be calories in vs calories out, but for me, it's more. Where my calories come from really, really matters.

I need filling power from my calories. I can't spend 100 calories on a cookie (or similar empty calorie food), than I'd want MORE cookies and go *off* my *diet* because I've blown my calorie budget.

Even if by some miracle that I could keep it to one cookie (which decades of *dieting* tells me I can't), I won't be satiated by those 100 calories. I'll feel as if I haven't eaten. I'll be hungry. And if I'm hungry, I am not going to stick with it, I don't stick with it, I don't lose weight.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

oh thank you. I read all your replies. Thank you for orienting me to real world diet/lifestyle plans. Yeah I agree with alot of you. 80 calories of cookie DOES not do for me what 80 calories of chicken does for me, or even what ONE egg does for me.

I guess I really got overwhelmed by my sibling's amazing weight loss--and she is so strict--i couldn't do it. When I lost weight before I was so strict--i couldn't do it again! I REALLY, REALLY want it to be sensible eating AND watching the amount is the KEY.

not crazy exercise schedules and FORBIDDEN foods. The minute a food is "forbidden" i lust after it even if I really don't care for it!

so yeah, the exchange plan is a more easy going form of calorie counting for me...ok, i'm sticking to this. NO FOODS are forbidden. I drink more water, and I do take a green tea pill to help with the afternoon loll or right before exercise. Thanks everyone for the reply.

I KNOW it's calories in vs. out...BUT i needed some reassurance because I surfed myself to death this afternoon.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #14  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I know it *should* be calories in vs calories out, but for me, it's more. Where my calories come from really, really matters.

I need filling power from my calories. I can't spend 100 calories on a cookie (or similar empty calorie food), than I'd want MORE cookies and go *off* my *diet* because I've blown my calorie budget.

Even if by some miracle that I could keep it to one cookie (which decades of *dieting* tells me I can't), I won't be satiated by those 100 calories. I'll feel as if I haven't eaten. I'll be hungry. And if I'm hungry, I am not going to stick with it, I don't stick with it, I don't lose weight.
Yep..it should work like people say, but I can eat 1800 cal with carbs and not drop a lb, or 2000 cal with no carbs and lose weight, so there is more to it.

I think you answered your own question...forget the hype. Stick to the basics of eating and your set. Proteins, veggies, some fruit, nuts, clean oils and your good. Stay away from the processed foods.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #15  
o0o

Quote:
You're killin' me kid!

Hugs....

Be good!
Yup.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote