Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/176.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Default What Should I Get for Chinese Takeout?

What are your recommendations for the healthiest possible choice at a typical neighborhood Chinese restaurant? I won't eat the rice or noodles and I'll immediately put half of the portion in the fridge, so what meat and veggie based entree might be the least "bad?"
shakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #2  
I hate humidity!

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: wee bit under 5'4

Usually any Chinese restaurant has a "diet" section on the menu. My favorie place calls it "picky eater" section lol. Also, don't be afraid to ask your waiter for low sodium and low calorie options!

The soups aren't bad - egg drop, hot and sour, etc. Steamed veggies and a protein like chicken is probably your best bet for an entree. I don't mind it without sauce or I get their standard garlic or brown sauce, picking the food out of the sauce to kinda drain it so I don't get too much of it. I also like steamed dumplings and steamed brown or white rice to add on.

If you look at the worst options is always stuff like the kung pao chicken or general tso chicken - high-sodium, doughed, fried, and heavily sauced.
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know what is generally offered at typical neighborhood Chinese restaurants. We generally go to authentic ones and they have a variety of options including steamed dishes. I'd avoid anything that is fried and ask for any sauces to be put on the side.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/248/150

Height: 5'4"ish

Personally, I want to ENJOY what I'm eating from my Chinese take out, s I budget for it.

Tonight I got shrimp & snow peas, asked them to add in bamboo and water chestnut just bc i love those. Asked them to go easy on the sauce. Measured out 1/2 cup of rice.

Steamed dumplings aren't terribly evil, either. I just shake on a DROP or two of the pungent soysauce-based sauce. I let myself have 3.
Lilly221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I love steamed dumpings. We actually go out to eat chinese almost every weekend but its not a greasy type place although they do offer fried foods and steamed foods. They also do dim sum for brunch.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #6  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I love Moo Goo Gai Pan and Cashew Gai Ding , both are stir fried veggie-chicken dishes. You can also ask for no sugar in the sauce and no corn starch tapioca starch or thickener in the sauce. My resto though only uses a slight amount of sugar so I don't crave afterwards.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #7  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

Beef and Broccoli/Beef and Greens
Chicken stirfry
Almond Chicken Gai Ding
Small order wonton soup (it's gooooood!)
Ginger Beef
Egg Foo Yong - plain or with mushroom (Chinese omelet)

Just a few suggestions from someone who's basically on a first name basis with her favorite Chinese restaurant.
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caela View Post
Usually any Chinese restaurant has a "diet" section on the menu. My favorie place calls it "picky eater" section lol. Also, don't be afraid to ask your waiter for low sodium and low calorie options!

The soups aren't bad - egg drop, hot and sour, etc. Steamed veggies and a protein like chicken is probably your best bet for an entree. I don't mind it without sauce or I get their standard garlic or brown sauce, picking the food out of the sauce to kinda drain it so I don't get too much of it. I also like steamed dumplings and steamed brown or white rice to add on.

If you look at the worst options is always stuff like the kung pao chicken or general tso chicken - high-sodium, doughed, fried, and heavily sauced.
Haha this is basically exactly what I was going to say. I tried the Diet menu at my restaurant. I got the steamed chicken with broccoli & garlic sauce on the side. OMG sooo good! I made sure I ate all the broccoli 1st so by the time I got to the chicken and ride I was almost full and didn't eat as much. Yum!
BellaBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I eat Chinese all the time...I don't know why they are given such a bad rep on being unhealthy?
Then again...I never eat the noodles, don't like the rice or the chicken dish...
I get the shrimp and broccoli in garlic sauce. They also have sauteed green beans and a crab salad that I really like. This is mostly veggies, lean protein and it will fill you up.
If you have room for desert, they usually have some fresh fruit on their desert bar...
I've never given up my Chinese buffets, but have still lost the weight! I like the Chinese buffet as opposed to something like Subway sub because I feel at the buffet I can get much more veggies and even fruit in wheras Subway they give you a sprinkle of lettuce, 2 cucumbers ect and lunchmeat...so I prefer the Chinese buffet.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

And if you dislike shrimp, they usually have a broccoli and chicken dish as well!
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I like to get Hong Kong Sea Bass - it's seabass steamed with fresh ginger, green onions, soy sauce and bok choy. SO good.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-06-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #12  

my F Factor diet nutritionist Rebecca Baer recommends Moo Shu (veg, chicken or shrimp) light on the oil. you can also do hot & sour soup. the steamed dishes (sauce on side) I am @ssmrachel on Twitter.
rachelpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #13  
Just starting

S/C/G: 235/182/140

Height: 5'3"

Love chop suey...and I don't eat it with rice, so it isn't too bad.

I found this

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/en..._chinese_food/

Last edited by phatchick911; 07-21-2010 at 10:23 AM.
phatchick911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

I usually get steamed veggies and lean protein with the sauce on the side. Brown rice if they have it! Sometimes I will order steamed dumplings or wonton soup, though they are not super low calorie.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote