Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default How do I get him to stop?

My boss He sometimes stops at this gas/coffee store where they make homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade dough, icing... everything. I made the mistake of letting him know I absolutely LOVE these. Now he's getting me one every other week and they're always still warm!

Cinnamon rolls/buns and carrot cake are my weakest points, I have a seriously hard time resisting these no matter how bad they are for me. The best I have done with the cinnamon roll is cut out the middle, eat it and save the rest for later (hopefully tomorrow... it's in the fridge right now).

Part of me doesn't want him to stop bringing them... who would??? Another part knows they are seriously detrimental to my diet. I have my own treats that I space out through the week, these, plus that equals serious calorie trouble. Should I politely tell my boss not to bring these because I can't resist them? Or should I grow up and try to get more self control? I've done very well in the self control department with everything else but these things.

I wonder... could I also cut them up into smaller pieces and space them out through the week? Maybe if I do well with this one that's in the fridge now...

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 07-06-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

You could cut them up and eat a piece throughout the week. Although, by the time you get to the end, they might be stale.

But seriously, if they are a major weakness spot, can you handle them coming into your life, sitting there, taunting you, twice a month? Can't you just speak to your boss? It seems like he is a nice guy, nice enough to get you a cinnamon roll. Just be polite, that you appriciate how thoughtful he is, but you're trying to lose weight.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

A simple "thanks so much for thinking of me, but all that sugar is giving me migraines, I am going to have to stop eating them!" should do the trick.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #4  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Yup! Perfect answer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
A simple "thanks so much for thinking of me, but all that sugar is giving me migraines, I am going to have to stop eating them!" should do the trick.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

This is so hard! If you have the kind of relationship with your boss where you can ask him to stop bringing them, then I would totally do that! There's no reason to put yourself though the agony of resisting something if you really don't have to.

If you don't have that kind of relationship, then I'm not sure...I guess you just have to forget about them. I would think of them as off limits-say to yourself that you "just don't eat that". I find that if I take the option off the table (which of course is easier said than done), I'm able to resist a lot easier. But once I have that first bit, it's almost impossible not to have more.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Go throw away what is in the fridge right now. It will make you feel so empowered and under control: there's nothing you can't resist. (and if you chose to eat them sometimes, that's ok, as long as you plan for it-- what matters is knowing that you are in control!)
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Anytime you eat even one piece of a food that you are addicted to, you'll keep that addiction going. This is not due to a weakness on your part! You've become conditioned to eating this food, and not eating it when it's present is practically impossible.

Throw it away, and tell your boss that you love the cinnamon rolls, but you really can't eat them for now, and would he please forego bringing any next week. If he asks why, tell him you're on the edge of becoming diabetic. It's probably true. You don't need to say anything about weight loss.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

My hubby loves cinnamon rolls with the cream cheese icing on them. He will occasionally buy them and we store them in an air tight container in the fridge and they last for a few days. 30sec in the microwave warms them back up.

You could eliminate your snacks and make room in your diet for one of these. Cut it into equal portions, store in an air tight container and enjoy a sampling each day for a few days. Or freeze them, they freeze ok too.

Or, go the route Glory87 if you just can't find a way to fit them in. (obviously if you are doing any kind of low carb, those would be off plan even if portioned out)
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Just tell him you went to the doctor and he said he's concerned about your blood sugar levels so you have to cut down on sweets. Thank him though
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #10  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Anytime you eat even one piece of a food that you are addicted to, you'll keep that addiction going. This is not due to a weakness on your part! You've become conditioned to eating this food, and not eating it when it's present is practically impossible.

Throw it away, and tell your boss that you love the cinnamon rolls, but you really can't eat them for now, and would he please forego bringing any next week. If he asks why, tell him you're on the edge of becoming diabetic. It's probably true. You don't need to say anything about weight loss.

Jay
+1
Those rolls are so unhealthy, filled with perservatives, you don't need that. Stick to your healthy snacks that you've planned. Just think of them as poison to your healthy body!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Glory and I Jay.

This food has a strong hold over you (it's one of my all time favorites as well). For me, I couldn't do the break it into parts thing. I couldn't do it, because it wouldn't work. You can't give an alcoholic just *one sip*. You need to *detox* from it. You need to dry up, eliminate and kill your wants and desires for it. It CAN be done. I've done it with maaaannny foods. And the only way to do it, is to ban it completely. I know that sounds crazy, but it really works! Having a food that once held you captive be meaningless to you is a wonderful feeling.

And as far as the boss, real simple, "I appreciate the thought, but those cinnamon buns have been wreaking havoc with me. I need to do away with them." Nuf' said.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

If you can bring yourself to tell him you can't eat the pastries, all the more power to you!

If you can't make him stop bringing stuff in, I wouldn't start keeping stuff in the fridge... well, it's never worked for me (I have a huge baked-goods addiction - it's my comfort food...)

My friend once said: You can waist it - or waste it, meaning, either it goes to your waist, or in the trash. As much as it hurts to throw food out (starving children in other parts of the world, etc) I sometimes throw stuff out, cause I don't want to "waist" it...
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #13  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Thanks everyone, I will have to just tell him He is pretty easy going but I don't think he takes this whole healthy life style seriously. He's struggled with his weight and gone back to smoking despite 2 heart attacks. The next time he gives me one of those I won't even look at it... I'll just give it right back.

Those foods do have huge power over me and the only way I can beat it is to go cold turkey. I'm going to buy some fat free yoghurt and keep it in the fridge at work. That way when they have treats like that I can have something sweet too.

Just for the record... I am no where near close to being diabetic. Even at my highest weight my doctor was shocked at how low my sugar level actually was. She said it wasn't something to be alarmed about yet but she was going to keep an eye on it.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote