Old 07-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Default Understanding the Bible

I have trouble understanding the Bible at times and I am wondering if there are others that have the same problem and if we may ask questions here. I figured someone would know the answer and if not, would know someone that does.

Last edited by Bootsie; 07-05-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Your pastor or a Bible Teacher at your church is a good source.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

BOOTSIE I would be glad to help you find answers to any questions you have.

The Bible can be difficult to read and understand sometimes because we try and read it like most books that go from the beginning to the end. The Bible doesn't always read like that.

I find the best way for me to go through the scriptures at home is with my Concordia Self-Study Bible NIV ~ Halley's Bible Hand Book and my parallel Bibles.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #4  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

I totally agree and always recommend the Parallel Bibles. Mine has definitely helped me. Our Bible Study is totally interactive and our Pastors are great about answering questions. Bootsie hope you find the answers that you seek. And yes I admit I have trouble understanding the scriptures sometimes in my daily study, but I just use other reference materials. Google is helpful. Just have to be careful/mindful of the source.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #5  

Sometimes the Bible says one thing then it say another....I found it on eating and then there is one question that even pastors have not been able to give me a clear answer too. The first question I have is:

Is Jesus Christ God's only begotten son or are there other sons too?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #6  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Is this one of the scriptures you are speaking of?

Proverbs 23:20-21 "Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

You may have already looked this up but if not see if this helps any. http://www.icr.org/home/resources/re...lybegottenson/ I think I am right in saying we are always learning when it comes to the Bible, I certainly am one who is still learning, thanks for your thread. *Even those who know the Bible it's great to have refreshers.

Last edited by love2b150; 07-05-2010 at 02:20 PM.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #7  

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). First of all thank you for the site to go to, Lovetobe150, it was interesting but it just not convince me.

Now this site say when the Bible talks about sons that they were created by God like Adam and are angels that have no Father , why does not the Bible say that? They did not have any proof behind what they said, just guessing sound like to me that the Bible meant something else besides what the Bible said.

Why does not the Bible say that in Genesis 6: 1 -4 ? It does not say Gods Angels saw the beautiful women it says the sons of God saw the beautiful women. How does the site, know they were Angels and not God's sons too? This I do not understand and is one thing I would like to understand. If they were Angels, would not you think it would of said so? I mean God has spoken pretty plain on what he means , he does not say one thing and mean another , right?

If more people understood the Bible they would more believe in Jesus Christ. Don't get me wrong I believe in Jesus, I think he is awesome, he is my savior. All my life I have been told that he is the only begotten son but like my husband says , sometimes when a story gets told many come up with many different versions of it. When you read the Bible you want to hear the truth. God did not say this is my only begotten son he said, talking to Jesus Christ, YOU are my beloved Son, and I am fully pleased with you.
Am I the only one that does not understand this? I agree I am slow at learning but I just don't understand, that it would even be said if it was not true.

Last edited by Bootsie; 07-05-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Lightbulb Sharing my thoughts ...

Yes, BOOTSIE ~ sometimes the bible can appear confusing especially since there are so many different translations these days. I have a parallel bible that has 4 different translations in one, so that you can cross-reference them while you are studying the bible to check for similarities and differences at the same time.

Now, this is my understanding of scriptures ~ JESUS was half GOD and half mankind (human being). (See Matthew 1:18/20; Luke 1:35; 1 Tim 3:16). Jesus was also referred to as the Son of man (as he was half man -- see Matthew 25:31).

WE are all mankind (both parents being human), but the Holy Spirit of GOD can dwell within us when we come to know GOD. (see Matthew 3:11; Matt 10:20; Mark 14:28; John 14:26)

I also believe that we all have a spirit that comes into us somewhere from conception to birth that goes back to GOD when we die (leaving behind the human flesh part). That is the part that I believe is the image of GOD, for GOD is Spirit (see John 4:24 & Luke 16:22 & 20:36).

In scriptures, we (mankind) are also referred to as the sons and daughters of GOD; and the sons of Man; and as His children (see Isaiah 56:5 & 43:6; John 1:12; Mark 3:28; Matthew 5:9 & 45).

I think the Angels (also called sons of GOD) were total spirit beings that were created by GOD -- that could go back and forth from heaven and earth (changing their appearance; hence the ability to talk to us so that we can see them and hear them). (see Hebrew 1:7 & 2:16 Psalm 104:4; Psalm 103:20; Matthew 4:11 & 18:10 & 22:30; Luke 2:15; Jude 1:6)

Now, the Angels (created spirit beings) did come down and mix with the daughters of man(kind) because they saw that they were beautiful and desired them. This is what created the giants of the old times. (Genesis 6:2 & 4)

That is three distinct kind of beings -- I think that JESUS was the only begotten offspring of GOD directly, where the HOLY SPIRIT was his literal father mixed with a human mother. (see John 1:14 & 18; 3:16 & 18; Hebrews 1:6 & Hebrews 11:17; 1 John 4:9; only begotten)

I hope this explains it more clearly and this is just my understanding from scripture from what I can tell so far. I gave you just some of the scripture references; there were many, many more. Hope this is helpful to you ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Are we not all children of God?

What other word could translators have used?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
Why does not the Bible say that in Genesis 6: 1 -4 ? It does not say Gods Angels saw the beautiful women it says the sons of God saw the beautiful women. How does the site, know they were Angels and not God's sons too? This I do not understand and is one thing I would like to understand. If they were Angels, would not you think it would of said so? I mean God has spoken pretty plain on what he means , he does not say one thing and mean another , right? [/B]
You have to remember that you are dealing with a translation into English, and that one word or phrase can be used to describe a lot of different things. We don't know except from the context. For ancient writings, we just have the context where the words are used (and so scholars compare how they are used in each verse where they show up), and some historical/cultural knowledge.

Looks like the phrases "sons of God" vs. "son of God" have different contexts. In some other verses in the bible, "sons of God" means angels, so it's consistent with what you find elsewhere in the Bible. 6:2 is apparently a bit of a problem because the context (in connection with the giants) is unique.

It *doesn't* mean there isn't truth in the passage, it just means that we don't have enough exact info about the context to be sure. It's not our original language, so we need to know more to interpret. To me, that's not the same thing as an inconsistency.

http://www.searchgodsword.org/enc/is...i?number=T8292
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #11  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SUSANB ~ in a word -- YES!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #12  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

There are (at least) two difficulties in understanding the Bible.

1. Interpretation. The same scripture can be interpreted multiple different ways by various denominations, teachers, etc. To understand this, consider the controversial subjects that divide churches, such as homosexuality or female pastors. There really is no way to know what is Absolute Truth. You can only accept that which seems most like Truth to you.

2. Translation. We are not reading the Bible as it was written, we are reading it as it was translated. For example, the word "church" is not in the original Greek. The word used by Jesus is "ekklesia" and described a political forum that was common in Athens during that time. Basically Jesus was saying to the disciples that they should create a gathering similar to an ekklesia (because there was no church, and therefore no word for it). When King James created a translation of the Bible, his translators interpreted "ekklesia" as "church" which derived from "kirk," a word used to describe a pagan worship circle. This just illustrates how much has been lost in translation over the years.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

BOOTSIE ~

Jesus is the one and only Son of God....before all worlds

He is God and was with God, in the beginning (as the Bible reads) before all worlds ...

The great truth that motivated God's plan of salvation.

As believers we are also called "sons of God" ....Jesus is uniquely God's Son.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

BOOTSIE ~

For Genesis 6:1-4 my NIV study Bible says the phrase "sons of God" has been interpreted to refer to either angels or to human beings....it also says intermarriage and cohabitation between angels and human beings, though commonly mentioned in ancient mythologies, are surely excluded by the very nature of the created order....it goes on to explain it is probably sons of God, as in holy men, becoming married to sinful women, from the line of Cain...indicating a breakdown of the the separation of the two groups.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #15  

Thanks to all for helping me with this ,it has been on my mind for the last 10 years when I first read it. My first thought was WHAT!! I gave my daughter a Bible and my daughter read the Bible I had no idea what to tell her about this, and about some of the other writings in the Bible.

When my Grandchildren read it I will know what it all bawls down to and that is translation from one language to another. I was sitting here thinking That must of been a JOB! Can you imagine knowing that there would be thousands and millions of people reading something that you translate from years that you wrote it. That what you felt it meant could mean alot to others even change their life.
Quote:
Rochester you said,There really is no way to know what is Absolute Truth. You can only accept that which seems most like Truth to you.
After reading this I tend to agree.

Ezmoney I think I am going to get one of them study Bibles, then I will have to learn how to use it!

Quote:
I also believe that we all have a spirit that comes into us somewhere from conception to birth that goes back to GOD when we die (leaving behind the human flesh part). That is the part that I believe is the image of GOD, for GOD is Spirit (see John 4:24 & Luke 16:22 & 20:36).
Rosebud I agree!

SusanB Yes, we are all Gods children

You all don't know this but you all brought me even closer to Jesus tonight, this has been bothering me for 10 years and started to ask y'all before but was afraid I would step on someones toes and I care so much about this group. I am getting a little braver reading Anthony Robbins book, and feel that I can ask , that is the only way my love for Jesus can grow if I ask and I can learn.