Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #1  

Default Day One on Stillmans- Anyone on this too?

Hi everyone,

I just started Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet and I'm looking for buddies/support. Anyone wanna be my friend?

Anyway I have just been feeling really heavy lately and want to get back to my comfortable weight. I am quick to lose motivation which is why I am going the quick weight loss route. I am looking to lose about 60lbs which seems very daunting right now. I have been yo-yoing off and on diets for the past year, and with each diet I have gained a little more weight and now I am just sick of feeling fat.

I believe that my body has trouble breaking down carbs so that is why I'm going the low carb route. Atkins gives me permission to binge on cheese so I can't do Atkins- at least not until I am comfortable and looking to maintain.

So here goes Day 1 almost halfway over LOL.
Jasmaniandevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #2  
amazing

S/C/G: 214.5/185.2/115

Height: not quite 5'1"

I have a friend who did Stillman's and lost a lot of weight really fast! Good luck, it works for sure.

Just be careful, because she gained it back and then some fast, too.
HokieLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have never even heard of it, sorry.

Good luck with it
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #4  

Default RE: Stillmans

Hokie- Thanks for the info! When (not if) I reach my goal I will be sure to keep an eye on the scale. I have gained and lost my entire body weight a few times over in my life and am getting pretty sick of it. Maintenance is what I am going to need to focus on this time around. Luckily I'm pretty active lately so I think that's half the battle.

Onderchic- Its basically low carb, lean meat fish and eggs, very little cheese except cottage cheese, LOTS of water and vitamin suppliments. No fruit, no veggies (which is weird) But I need some quick success to build up my motivation.

Thanks for the replies I will keep you posted!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

No vegetables? Not even...broccoli? Sorry, that sounds crazy - no fiber. I'm not sure how you are supposed to lose weight if you can't poop!

Last edited by Glory87; 07-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, The Stillman Diet is a low-carb, low-fat diet from the 60s that also limits the amount of fats you can eat. I lost on it but had major digestive "issues" and had to stop. I think I have the book around here somewhere.
(I wish I'd lost a pound for every pound of diet book in my collection! I must weight them all sometime. )
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #7  

Stillman's was the first lo-carb diet I tried-- 40 years or so ago when I was 16 and weighed 148. It was very limited, but worked. It was basically Atkins induction without as much fat.
Eggs and lean ham for breakfast, lean meat and lettuce only salad for lunch, lean meat fish or poultry and a lettuce salad for dinner, 3/4 cup of cottage cheese for snack. No fat used in preparation of foods, and as I recall, the juice of a lemon wedge on the salad. 10 glasses of water. It used to be nicknamed the steak diet. I think you could drink alcohol on it too, but I was a teen, so didn't.

It worked, but is not a long term solution. I lost 20 pounds (sort of) in about 35 days. But it started (or at least underscored) a lifetime of weight struggles. I don't know whether I always had a skewed response to carbohydrates, but I do now.

Last edited by Bunti; 07-05-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Doesn't sound healthy or sustainable at all, no fruit/veggies? Beware of any "diet" that tries to market a no fruit or veggie concept. Weight loss at what cost?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

I did Stillman's about 30 years ago (good grief, I'm daily surprised at how long I've been dieting).

I lost 20lbs in a month but had foul breath and virtually no poop.

It's not a healthy diet long-term and, unless it's changed in the last 30 years, it doesn't give hints for re-integrating normal foods into your eating.

It's not Stillman's fault that I'm still here - there are a whole variety of diets I haven't stuck to - but I don't believe it to be sustainable long term.

Last edited by Rosinante; 07-05-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Gosh...I did Stillman's Diet a couple time some 30-40 years ago. It's true - I did lose weight quickly. But, for me - it never stayed off or never taught me anything about really 'living with food.' I think it's hard to transition off of that diet to regular food.

That was my experience. Good luck!! I hope it works well for you.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #11  

I agree that the no fruits or veggies thing is troubling. I was thinking I would do that for two weeks at a time and then add in veggies with the meat for two weeks then back again.

I'm pretty desperate to start feeling good about myself again so I need to get some weight off pretty fast.

I didn't hear about the lemon/lettuce thing, that would be great if its allowed. I guess I need to get the book and not just rely on what the website says.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I would just caution losing weight too fast. I am a person who has done all sorts of things to get some weight off fast and unfortunately, though I may have gotten some weight off, I always gained it back plus some. For me, this time what is different, I am taking the approach of a healthy lifestyle change. I count calories and I exercise. I have lost almost 160 pounds and even maintained that loss for almost a year.

I wish you luck with whatever path you choose
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 235/195/125

Height: 5'2

I thought you had to limit cheese on Atkins too (3-4oz) but maybe that's just in the induction phase. Good luck on whatever program you find that is right for you and will allow you to lead a healthy life.
Kimberly7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

For me, it all clicked when I quit looking for motivation and instead found a plan that wasn't too hard, that I didn't need a lot of motivation to stay on. Even if a plan is slower, if you can stay on it the rest of your life it will work in the end--and you won't have spend a big chunk of time miserable.

But there are a lot of "correct" ways to do this. Good luck!
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #15  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

"The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet" was one of the first diet books I ever bought. I was intrigued by the diet's promise of a fifteen pound per week weight loss. So I went on the diet. By the third day I would have killed for an orange and I don't even like oranges all that much. I had a constant headache, nausea and the dry-heaves. Increasing my water intake beyond the required eight glasses a day brought no relief. I gave up on the diet after a week, having decided that fast weight loss wasn't worth feeling like I had a permanent hangover. To make matters worse I only lost three pounds.

I'm not trying to discourage the OP, but I do agree with those who think it's not a sustainable diet
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote