Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #1  

Question Exercise?

Sorry to bring this up, but I have been so insprired by all of of your success stories I had to ask. What do you do for exercise? I need to lose about 120lbs and I have chosen a lower carb diet , but I feel if I really want to lose this amount of weight I need to exercise. I haven't exercised for a very long time. I am 29 years old, but VERY out of shape. I was just looking for suggestions. Also I wanted to ask if anyone who has lost this amount of weight, did exercise help with the loose excess skin? Thanks is advance for any advice you can give me.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I walk a lot. It's easy on the joints and doesn't require any expensive clothing or fees. Of course, if you live where there's a ton of snow right now, walking is a bit more challenging!

Start with walking around the block and work up to as much time as you can take, as many days a week as you can do.

Aerobic tapes are cheap, but a little harder on the joints--if you do this, be sure and get low impact aerobics. "Sweatin' to the Oldies" with Richard Simmons is kind of fun.

Whatever you do, don't overdo or you'll quit. Just do as much as feels comfortable right now.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have done step aerobics in my home, Richard Simmons. But I recently bought a treadmill and that seems easy. I just joined curves and I am loving that!!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:21 PM   #4  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I do Tae Bo (love it lol) and I also have an elliptical trainer and a Torso-Track that I use regularly. I've lost over 60 lbs, and I do have loose skin, but the exercising and weights that I do are really helping with the loose skin. I am starting to tone up, but I know that it will take alot of work. the results I have seen so far have been amazing though.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i say: be careful on those joints! my knees are really sore lately, so i've been laying off the exercise videos.

i use a stationary bike and a stride machine thing (it could be an elliptical...) in the gym at my apartments.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:19 PM   #6  

HI,
I do an aerobic tape every morning. I use to jog and have started walking in hopes of being the jogger I once was. For me, the secret to exercise was to find something you look forward to doing so that you will stick with it. I found a great selection of tapes at Amazon.com. I bought a Ballet Workout tape as well. When I do my aerobic tape, I turn the sound down and play my own cd's instead. It helps keep it fresh.

IsabellaMay
Old 02-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

hey there duke fan!!! nice to see you!!! yes. exercise helps with the loose skin, but it might not solve the whole problem. you DO have age on your side, so there's a good chance the skin will snap back.

i started from ground zero with exercise. our local cable company carries gilad's bodies in motion... very low impact, all over. and he's cute, too. it got me moving. the important thing is to start somewhere. anywhere. don't worry about the equipment at first. just do something, walk, an exercise tape [you could even get one for old ladies at first; who has to know???], march in place for a few minutes at a time.

and you'll be moving in no time. honest!!! trust me... if i can do it, so can you.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I like going for a walk before I eat my lunch; now that the weather is nicer I can do that.

The thing about exercise is, the more you do it, the better you feel, and the more you want to do.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

I too am very out of shape, but I am getting better...I've changed my way of eating and now am doing the Atkins plan(Low carbs).

I have heard from many that the best and less invasive exercise is walking. There are a bunch of people that love Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds tapes.

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:21 AM   #10  

I am not particularly fond of aerobic exercise (though I make myself do it!) and I find walking boring ... so I started this journey with weight lifting. You can get started pretty cheaply -- dumbbells new are about 50 cents a pound, cheaper if you can find used ones. You can find tapes to follow or books -- library is the cheap route! A gym membership is not a requirement, though I did join an all-ladies gym and really enjoy it.

The benefits I have seen were almost immediate - increased energy, mood stabilization ... plus the benefits that I don't necessarily see, at least not right away - a more toned body, strength and, believe it or not, stronger bones. For me it was easier to do than walking or jumping around - not EASY, mind you, if you push yourself, but I guess because the benefits were so immediately noticeable it made it easier for me to stick with it -- and I've been doing it since June.

Even if you want to make walking or exercise tapes your primary activity, I highly recommend adding some kind of strength training.

Pen
265/218/150ish
Old 02-21-2003, 10:04 AM   #11  
Searching

You got to find an excersise program you can live with. I do lots of things. I love the high of excercise especially weight lifting. But the Pilates mat work and Yoga have made me more flexible. I always have fun when I belly dance. Aerobics is kind of like line dancing. The only thing I hate is the elliptical and I see it as a challenge: me versus that machine. Who cares about loose skin????? I FEEL FABULOUS WHEN I MOVE! I feel better when I eat right and everything feels better about me since I started this journey!!!

Do it for you and find what you can live with. Any movement is better than none!!!!!!!!
Miss Chris
Old 02-22-2003, 01:17 PM   #12  

You all are a great bunch of people!!! Thank you so much. Everyone is so helpful. I love the idea about using your own cd music because I love making my own mix cds. I think everyone is right about finding something that I like to do. I will continue to post because you guys are so motivating. Keep up the good work with your individual programs!
Ginger
Closed Thread