Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #1  

Question Problem area of my body

Hello.

The lower part of my abdomen has been a problem area for years. Even BEFORE I had my child, it's been a big bulge. No matter what diets I've been on and no matter what exercises I've tried, I have not been able to get rid of it. Even if I am able to lose inches off the upper part, the lower part remains the same.

Does anyone have the same problem? And can anyone offer advice on how to fix the problem?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #2  
moe

My problem area is my pouchy tummy and my thick thighs.
I know how you feel. I have been doing lots of cardio lately so I hope that helps. Also, doing the sit ups. I have only been doing this for about 1 month and 1/2 so too soon to tell. But for the meantime, I still have my pouchy tummy and thick thighs.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Depending on the shape of your body-it seems that "pear" shaped women's thighs and hips are the last to go, and "apple" shaped women's tummies are the last to go-so if you are still a ways away from your weight loss goal-do not worry. The best video I have found for women's abs is Denise Austin's Hit the Spot Abs tape. It has 3 different 10 minute workouts for abdominals, so you are not doing the same thing everyday-and she concentrates a lot on the lower abdominals. How often are you working your abs? While you must wait 48 hours between body parts when strength training the rest of your body, your abs are one part that CAN be worked everyday-so if you can devote 10 minutes just to them everyday, that would help a lot.
Aphil
Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #4  

Thanks for the replies.

I will check out that exercise tape you suggested.

Right now, I am doing Winsor Pilates.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #5  

How do you find the Pilates excersizes? Do they feel like they're doing something? I am really interested in them, and I belong to a gym which has an instructor but I always seem to be very skeptical about things I havne't tried personally! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2003, 10:04 PM   #6  

candacemartyn, sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I just logged in now.

The pilates seem to be pretty good so far. Some of them are hard to do, but I have lost an inch or two off my waist so far. I haven't noticed much change on the scale yet though.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:26 AM   #7  

Well, at least you can see the difference with it....thats always a good feeling Would you recommend it? Thanks,

Candace
Old 03-02-2003, 12:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Pilates isn't really something "new"-it has been around for a while, but it is just getting more popular. It is a series of slow, specific exercise that strengthen your "core" muscles. Basically, your core is your center-your back, abdominals, and your hips. This is where most of the toning/lost inches will occur.
Pilates incorporates movements that strengthen your core muscles, and then stretch/lengthen them out. The exercises are natural body movements that incorporate your core muscles-for instance, when you lie on your side and slowly point your toe and move your leg to the front of you, and then to the back-to keep your body balanced your back and ab muscles are involved.
I do recommend it-I strength train, dance and do yoga, but I do one Pilates session each week.
Aphil
Old 03-02-2003, 09:56 PM   #9  

That sounds interesting....I think I may go to a class or two at the gym I belong to Thanks!

Candace
Old 03-06-2003, 03:50 PM   #10  

I have the stomach and hips problem. I'm so tired of it. I have been at my goal weight for 2 years and have made exercise a part of my life. I am so active sometimes that I amaze even myself! Yet my stomach and hip "bumps" are still there. They just won't go away. I fantasize about having liposuction just to get rid of that stuff but I know it's not really the answer.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:59 PM   #11  

I know liposuction isn't the answer....but sometimes there are areas of a womans body that are very difficult to work out. The lower abdomen is one of them. Have you had children before? Because that can cause some damaged tissues and stretched skin that just wont go away on its own!

Candace
Old 03-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #12  

Candace~
No I haven't had any children and I don't plan on it. I'm 34 and my biological clock never was actually installed in my body.

It's really just a fantasy, but sometimes I wonder just how much work I'm actually going to have to do to get rid of it, IF that is, the fat finally goes away!

I almost duct taped it down this evening when I was changing into my workout clothes! Drastic!
Old 03-06-2003, 04:20 PM   #13  

Rockette,
I'm not sure really of any ideas I have for you....but just keep working on it and try your best. Dont get discouraged about yourself, you seem like a wonderful person, and its what is on the inside that counts I know its easy to get down, but keep looking up and you'll be great! I am not sure if you have access to a gym near you, but at my gym we have specific machines to target the inner and outter thighs...i would look into that if i were you Good luck!

Candace
Closed Thread