Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #1  

Question Martial arts?

10 years ago I used to take Tae Kwon Do. I was loosing weight, toning up and feeling really quite good about myself.

Needless to say I didn't keep it up.... but now my daughter (7 y.o.) is taking Tae Kwon Do - from my old instructor no less - and I'm kinda wanting to get back into it.

I feel a little odd even thinking about it at 150 lbs overweight.

Has anyone else gotten involved in any form of martial arts when they were really fat and out of shape?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #2  
Student of the Hoof

Hi Carole -

I started TKD when I weighed about 180, but I'd been walking and running a lot. I think it depends a lot on the instructor. Our instructor was *wonderful* and there were folks in the class who were far heavier and far more out of shape than I was, and they did quite well.

You've done TKD before, so you know what you'll be doing. I'm not sure what belt you achieved, so not sure if you had started flying kicks or not. I think those and some of the tumbling workouts were about the only things I felt uncomfortable with at the heavier weights, and my instructor never pushed that.
Closed Thread