Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210.8/175.2/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Ideal Protein (soy) and Hypothyroidism???

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm a new member. I was diagnosed with hypo approx 5 years ago and my meds increase in stregth time to time due to pregnancies, etc. I am on synthroid 1.25.... I've been reading online and have myself a little scared because some of the stuff I've been reading says that soy is extremely dangerous for your thyroid. Needless to say I got my blood tested today at lunch and have a DR appt with my family physician to discuss it next Tuesday. In the meantime, I was curious to hear what you guys think/know. Thanks
ch1cka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6

I have been diagnosed with hypo also for the past 8 years, I have ranged from .50 to now I take 175 mg of Synthroid. I am on Medifast which is soy based and did not know about the effects of soy on a thyroid. Will have to speak to my doctor at my next appointment.
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I wouldn't call it extremely dangerous, however if you ingest a LOT of it, it will increase your estrogen levels and the thyroid will have a lot of problems functioning. You should also pay attention to goiterous vegetables that are raw. If you cook them, they do not affect the thyroid as much.

I don't have a thyroid and have been told I don't have to avoid soy or the veg at all, since my body is completely on medication so my levels do not fluxuate based on thyroid function.

Foods That Contain Goitrogens

Food items containing dietary goitrogens are as follows:

* cruciferous family: cabbage,cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, mustard, radish, turnip
* soybean and soy products: tofu, tempeh, miso, soy milk, soy bread, soy nuts, soy cookies, and tamari
* fruits: peaches and strawberries
* grain: millet
* nuts: peanuts, pine nuts

How to Reduce Your Risk of Goitrogen Toxicity

The following simple steps can minimize your risks:

1. Eat a varied diet for each meal. For instance, do not eat two or more cruciferous in one meal daily. Include, other fruits, vegetables, meats, whole grains, etc. in your diet.
2. Chopping, washing, and cooking vegetables inactivates heat-sensitive goitrogenic substances.
3. Consume goitrogenic foods in smaller amounts such as 1/2 cup portions.

Vegetables from the cabbage family, soy bean and soy bean products, and other potentially goiter-causing foods are inherently "healthy" food items. By following the above strategies, they can remain an integral part of your diet.

http://nutrition.suite101.com/articl...rcausing_foods

Last edited by xanthia; 06-28-2010 at 05:13 PM.
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Chicka--I am also hypothyroid. My understanding is that soy interferes with synthroid, making it less effective.

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1cka View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm a new member. I was diagnosed with hypo approx 5 years ago and my meds increase in stregth time to time due to pregnancies, etc. I am on synthroid 1.25.... I've been reading online and have myself a little scared because some of the stuff I've been reading says that soy is extremely dangerous for your thyroid. Needless to say I got my blood tested today at lunch and have a DR appt with my family physician to discuss it next Tuesday. In the meantime, I was curious to hear what you guys think/know. Thanks
Hi, chicka, I just read that it is only a myth that soy is dangerous for your thyroid. Check it out at http://soynutrition.com/SoyHealth/So...FY845wodxl-06w. I am also hypothyroid and have been on thyroid medication for the last 24 years and have done just fine on the Ideal Protein diet. As a matter of fact, I reached goal after 19 1/2 weeks and am now doing maintenance. I made sure to cook any goitrogenic foods (like broccoli and cauliflower) because they can interfere with your medication otherwise.
BevS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

this is a very controversial issue. some people say soy is a great health food. other people are concerned because the majority of soy is from GMO (genetically modified origin) or GE (genetically engineered) sources. (testing is still being done or to be done to prove the harms of GMO or GE food OR, in the mind of some if, organic is of any greater benefit.) Another issue is that most of the soy issue come from soy isoflavones and there are many out there for us to eat - soy milk, soy nuts, soy protein shakes, soy candy bars, soy cereal, and foods enriched with soy, as well as soy supplements.

The biggest concerns seem to be for people with thyroid problems already who eat alot of goiterogenic foods (soy is one) and those with preexisting iodine deficiencies ( I have iodine deficiency.) MANY doctors are opposed to the use of soy isoflavones by thyroid patients. Some are doctors who work for the FDA, others are the likes of Dr Mike Fitzpatrick, Dr Weil and Dr Mercola ( very public names at different extremes of health). Significant bodies of research have been done since 1991 (Japanese studies) thru the present that do show soy can impact the function of the thyroid.

as with many things soy doesn't effect everyone and part of that has to do with the quality and source of the soy. The smaller the amount ingested and the more natural and whole the soy, the fewer isoflavones, the better the body can break it down and not effect the thyroid.

I agree you should talk to your doctor. Do a little research before you go. Try googling: thyroid and soy problems, soy and autoimmune hypothyroidism, soy and iodine deficiency and thyroid. that is just a start of ideas.

If you are concerned, review the proteins IP uses. There are whey, albumin, soy, milk protein, textured soy protein, vegetable proteins, collagen protein and our animal proteins at meal time.

These foods, based on the last know formulation, do not have soy:
pineapple drink, blueberry pomegranate drink, chocolate drink, cappucino, pink lemonade, orange drink, peach mango drink, wildberry yogurt, the ready made vanilla drinks (at the last formulations), strawberry pudding, raspberry gelatin (jello/jelly), salt and vinegar chips. The Pina Colada and Ready Chocolate drink have small amounts of soy lecithin as the last ingredient on the food ingredients list.

There are no noted soy isoflavones only soy protein concentrate and soy isolates.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Yes, soy is bad for your thyroid. It slows down your metabolism. I guess there's a thing out now how the govt pushed soy as "healthy" because they had a huge surpluss of it and that the claims were false.

Regardless soy does mess with your hormones and does help to slow your thyroid and metabolism. This is a pretty well known fact and NOT a myth!
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #8  

Question hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia many years ago (96) and just lately a medical person told me that hypothyroidism is an imposter for fms. I need to investigate this.
I was a vegetarian for the last year and ate alot of soy and could not lose any weight. I wonder if there is a connection?
As a side, I will soon have to rob a bank to afford IPD.
Jane
lilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesomebody View Post
Yes, soy is bad for your thyroid. It slows down your metabolism. I guess there's a thing out now how the govt pushed soy as "healthy" because they had a huge surpluss of it and that the claims were false.

Regardless soy does mess with your hormones and does help to slow your thyroid and metabolism. This is a pretty well known fact and NOT a myth!
wow, i eat a high soy diet everyday filled with soy-based puddings, shakes, chilis, soups, drinks and on top of that soybeans and for once in my life i AM losing weight.....i guess everyone on ideal protein are sheep working for the government.
mamaerinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210.8/175.2/120

Height: 5' 3"

thx for your responses. I AM losing weight as well... almost 35 lbs in 12 weeks... however this new information I've read online suggests it may be dangerous for the thyroid (like Carla said, controversal topic) I have no doubt I will continue to lose weight and reach my goal on IP but just to be careful, I'm getting my levels checked to make sure my medication does not need to be adjusted!
ch1cka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1cka View Post
thx for your responses. I AM losing weight as well... almost 35 lbs in 12 weeks... however this new information I've read online suggests it may be dangerous for the thyroid (like Carla said, controversal topic) I have no doubt I will continue to lose weight and reach my goal on IP but just to be careful, I'm getting my levels checked to make sure my medication does not need to be adjusted!
Have your iodine and selenium levels looked at too, if your dr/endocrinoligist will do it that is! Sometimes, hypothyroidism is less a problem of the thyroid and more a nutritional deficit. If you are low, even a little, in either iodine or selenium it can cause t3/t4 to be improperly used and available. It can also cause those subtle adjustments in medications we use.

I am very marginally hypothyroid. We caught it early and my DR is very open to treating with nutrition first. She has been correcting my iodine and selenium and it has been enough of an improvement, slow but enough, to keep me off synthroid and actually have my levels (tsh too) returning to a more normal window.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #12  

Default Other link about thyroid and soy

There's currently some discussion about this and this discussion is informative, so I'm bumping the thread.

Also, linking to another post with some information. To view the full post, click the blue arrow next to Siouxzy7's (the original poster's name).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxzy7 View Post
[my coach is] surprised I've lost only 9 pounds in 4 weeks, so he told me to go off IP. I'm going to be doing a modified version of low sugar/low carb going forward, but no more IP products...he is guessing my body is not reacting properly to the soy that they are made with, somewhat like an allergic reaction, and now that it's built up in me for 4 weeks, it's starting to bother me. There is also the possibility of a thyroid problem which I'm going to have checked out....ugh.

UPDATE...here is something I found online about soy protein and brain function. I have read that soy proteins are not good for your mood (from a book called The Mood Cure). If anyone else out there seems 'over-emotional' whlie on IP, check this out.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 08-28-2010 at 07:47 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #13  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
JrMohr wrote: My understanding is that soy interferes with synthroid, making it less effective.
Yes, it's generally accepted in thyroid cancer circles that soy interferes with the absorption of synthroid -- in fact, we're told not to eat soy within 5 hours of taking synthroid. I take my synthroid at 5:00 a.m., so am ok for soy at lunch and/or supper.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I also posted this in another thread and might as well merge it here:

Soy is a goitrogenic food -- vegetables, grains and foods that promote formation of goiter -- an enlarged thyroid. So is broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale and turnips for that matter. There are a ton of lists online that go through this category.

If you don't have a thyroid there is no research proving they will negatively impact your health (yay me!). If you do however, cooking these food in the goitrogenic category will help break down those compounds that affect the thryoid. Aka, cook your broccoli and soy if you have thyroid prolems.

Too much soy in volume can cause thyroid problems. I'm unsure if IP removes the isoflavones (the problem child) from their soy protein, but many have been successful and not had any extraneous issues with their thyroid when on IP, even with pre-existing conditions.

This is a huge debate topic in the medical field. What I suggest is talking to your physician while following this diet and getting blood work done every 6 weeks. Your weight is changing and your medications might be off during this time and they can help monitor your levels and symptoms.

Also, my little fyi: Do not take calcium or soy based products at the same time as your medication.
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/210/180

I take synthroid and have been on alternate IP for 18 weeks and have lost 35 pounds. After losing 30 pounds I saw my endocrinologist and had blood work done and she said I was doing great. She even asked how I had lost the weight because so many of her thyroid patients claim they can't lose weight. My sister who has Graves disease has no thyroid and is totally dependent on meds has lost 45 pounds.

I am going to pay attention to the soy information, and did not know that raw broccoli and cauliflower were a no-no.

This board is so informative and I appreciate and read it every day.

thanks to all!
wuc1013 is offline   Reply With Quote