Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Default Sleep Deprivation vs. Working Out

Hey everyone!

I am starting to work out again. I lagged off because of life stresses, new job, starting school and etc. I really don't have time to workout, except on Saturday and Sunday. Every other day of the week I get home at 9pm and even LATER. So, I want to at least workout 4 days a week at 30 minutes to get back into the groove. I heard that working out makes for a better night sleep. It doesnt keep me awake either,I could workout and then go right to sleep. My question is, can I forfeit sleep to workout? Meaning if I workout, then would it be ok to sleep 6 hours? Anyone else have a full schedule and give up sleep to workout?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RoyalAthena; 06-27-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spell check
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #2  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I use to workout and only sleep 6 hours when
I was in school. I wouldn't recommend it.
I got tired all the time and it made me not
want to work out anymore.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

What time do you leave in the morning? Is there time to workout then? Or maybe on your lunch hour?
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

IMO, sleep is much more important for weight loss and overall health than formal exercise is. So no, I would definitely not recommend giving up sleep in order to exercise. I think that will not lead to the results you're looking for.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

There is something some of our folks have written about called NEAT - Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. I'm not an expert, but I think the gist is that if you increase activity during your daily routine that you enhance your activity levels and thus weight control by a significant amount. Standing instead of sitting at a computer, using stairs instead of elevators, walking instead of riding, etc.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote