Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Has anyone lost weight without exercising?

I'm honestly just curious!
neveragainbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Yup! I think that there's one person in the Goal section of the site that did that, actually, and completely wihtout exercise I think.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 06-27-2010 at 07:44 PM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i lost around 20 pounds in my teens without exercise. i didn't love the results though, i was very soft and doughy looking.

Last edited by therex; 06-27-2010 at 07:17 PM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #4  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I lost 10 pounds my first semester of college just by eating very little. I haven't really tried it all that much, though, to be honest.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'3

I lost some weight (20?) without exercising and like someone said up there, I was very doughy and saggy. I ended up gaining the weight back anyway and this time I'm doing strength training + cardio and the results are much different.
LauraLoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I am sure some have. I have not ever tried it really. As much weight as I have lost thus far, I am thankful I have been working out as well or I may hate my body more than I do lol
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I lost the first ten or so pounds by not working out, but now it's definately a necessity as it will help me continue to lose and tone up my body so it looks good too
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

From what i have heard, if you dont exercise, you CAN lose weight, but you will lose alot of muscle before you actually lose fat. :-( So you may end up 20 pounds lighter, but you will still have the same amount of fat and your metabolism will suffer since you will have less muscle. I know that sucks! I am not a big fan of exercise, but one of those things that you typically gotta do if you wanna lose weight the healthy way.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #9  
His Sunshine

S/C/G: 218/198/150

Height: 5feet 6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I am sure some have. I have not ever tried it really. As much weight as I have lost thus far, I am thankful I have been working out as well or I may hate my body more than I do lol

I am looking for help. i c you are online and I was wondering if you could help me. i can't even fig out how to submit a post. i tried and i ended up reply on someone else instead of making one of my own
His Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I think lots of successful people here did not start exercising at the same time they changed their eating habits: doing it all at once can be depressing.

If you hate, hate, hate to exercise do NOT let that keep you from eating in a way that will help you lose weight. You don't say how much you have to lose, but if you are very heavy, then just breathing is a work out, and you can create a good calorie deficit on food alone. Sometimes people use hating exercise as an excuse not to start at all ("what's the point in not eating that cake? I am not going to exercise anyway, so this whole thing is pointless!) and that's really, really destructive thinking.

I started exercising at least a full month, maybe more, after I started watching my intake, and it was MONTHS after that before I was doing enough exercise to really make a difference: I hated it so much that I had to increase my exercise s-l-o-w-l-y until I could stand it. But now I exercise 2 hours a day and it's not nearly as bad as that 10 minutes a day used to be.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Sunshine View Post
I am looking for help. i c you are online and I was wondering if you could help me. i can't even fig out how to submit a post. i tried and i ended up reply on someone else instead of making one of my own
Of course, go to Introductions then above the Announcement section (about RomanceDiva) there is the New Thread button. Click that and make your post Hope this helps
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

The NY Times recently had an article about the role of exercise in weight loss. You can read it here, but I think you have to register. Registering is free and they don't share your info with anyone.

I just reread the article and noticed this interesting passage about the role of exercise in maintenance (important because we will all be there one day! ):

On the other hand, if you can somehow pry off the pounds, exercise may be the most important element in keeping the weight off. “When you look at the results in the National Weight Control Registry,” Braun says, “you see over and over that exercise is one constant among people who’ve maintained their weight loss.” About 90 percent of the people in the registry who have shed pounds and kept them at bay worked out, a result also seen in recent studies. In one representative experiment from last year, 97 healthy, slightly overweight women were put on an 800-calorie diet until they lost an average of about 27 pounds each. Some of the women were then assigned to a walking program, some were put on a weight-training regimen and others were assigned no exercise; all returned to their old eating habits. Those who stuck with either of the exercise programs regained less weight than those who didn’t exercise and, even more striking, did not regain weight around their middles. The women who didn’t exercise regained their weight and preferentially packed on these new pounds around their abdomens. It’s well known that abdominal fat is particularly unhealthful, contributing significantly to metabolic disruptions and heart disease.

I have to respectfully disagree with Get n Healthy. I believe if you follow a sensible diet you will lose fat, not muscle. I think it is when you go very low calorie or exercise with improper nutrition that you are at risk of losing muscle instead of fat.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I lost about 75 pounds just by watching my food intake and kept it off for a few years (since 2007). It was only this year that i regained 15 pounds and that is only because i wasn't paying attention to what i was eating.
Now I have almost lost those 15 pounds and incorporating exercise because i don't want the soft and doughy look as i continue to lose. I still have alot to go. I would rather lose weight and be in better health than just lose weight and not be in shape.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235/212/180

Height: 5'2

its possible, its all about burning more calories than you eat. your body uses so many for daily maintenance and what not but exercise is important for more than just weight loss, plus it helps tone your body while you lose weight
shortstuff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I have never stepped foot in a gym. I don't own a treadmill or any other excercise equipment. I don't walk miles in a circle, and I don't lift weights.

I don't work out like most people. I work out by basically never sitting down. I spend very little time on the computer, I only watch TV for an hour before bed. I push mow our entire (3+ acres) lawn, and work in the yard and garden, trim trees and haul branches. I rogue fields and chop weeds. None of which I could do at the beginning. I worked my way up to the things I do.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote