General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #1  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Default Temporary blackouts- help?

I'm not sure if it's necessarily a blackout.
Every single day for the last week I've had a temporary blackout. Everything goes black for a couple seconds, I feel dizzy, I have a little headache, and I lose my vision. I'm still conscious and aware of things, but sometimes they get so bad that I fall to my knees because it hurts so badly. Mostly they happen at least once a day, sometimes two, and very rarely three times. I think I remember a while ago someone telling me it's because of blood rushing to my head?

This mainly happens when I'm laying down and I get up. I go through this every single morning and it's starting to concern me. Today I was sitting down for only 10 minutes and had to get up to do something and I had a blackout.

**I've been told by my doctor that I have low iron. Not dangerously low, but I'm not sure if that'll contribute to my blackouts.
**I also have to take vitamins daily because I'm a vegetarian. These last 2 weeks I have not re-filled my vitamin bottle because I haven't had the time.
**I eat healthy. Potatoes, salads, fruits, fiber bars, etc. I'm not sure of the calories I consume because I don't count calories.
**I sleep about 9 hours a night.
**I have no medical problems nor does my family have a history of blackouts. As far as I know and my doctor knows, I'm completely healthy.

I'm thinking about seeing my doctor but I won't be able to get an
appointment until this Thursday. Until then, is there any way I can stop this?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Ciao; 06-27-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #2  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

I have very low iron, and during my second pregnancy, I would black out because I wasn't getting enough oxygen to the brain. So it is possible - however, I am not a doctor myself and could not say this was your case.

I think that you should see your doctor about this. These are serious problems you are describing, and could be the warning signs of something even more serious.

Good luck!
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #3  
Bella Signora ♥

Family members have told me it could be low blood sugar.
I've had them in the past but that was very rarely. Now
it's becoming quite frequent and I'm getting concerned.

Hopefully my doctor can help me.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

It's good that you're having it checked out, and you should. But don't worry that it's necessarily something terrible. It could just be a positional drop in blood pressure, especially since it sounds like it happens when you stand up from lying down or sitting for a period of time. It can happen if you have naturally low blood pressure, or if your blood pressure is low because of dehydration or low iron. I had this when I was an adolescent, and have had it in milder forms since off and on related to exercise. (Ironically I get it when I am most fit.) Keep track of whether there is a pattern, in what you are doing just before, when you have had meals or exercised last.

ETA: It might be a good idea to keep a food journal for a couple of days to keep track of your calories, and also if you are getting enough protein, considering your vegetarian diet. It would be useful to show to your doctor.

Last edited by bronzeager; 06-27-2010 at 05:58 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Take your time getting up and be sure to be holding on to something so that you don't fall.

I wish you well
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Laying down and getting up blackouts - its your blood pressure. Its called orthostatic hypotension. You may be dehydrated or your anemia could be worse. If you take your time, going from a laying position, then to a sitting (take about 2-3 minutes) then stand up *slowly* - it should diminish it.

Make an appt. with your MD, have them check orthostatic blood pressures - one laying down, one sitting and one standing, to see how much it drops between each and they may end up checking your blood count to check on that anemia you may have. In the mean time - tank up your circulatory system my drinking water, lots of it. (Assuming you do not have other health conditions, like congestive heart failure). My increasing the fluid pumping through your veins, you will raise your blood pressure marginally and you should see an improvement with the black outs.
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

See your doctor.!!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

i had that problem when i was a teenager and dieting a little too strictly. i would black out but it was weird because my body would keep moving but i suddenly couldnt see. It turned out i was hypoglycemic and needed more food.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #9  
Bella Signora ♥

Thank you all. I've made
and appointment this Thursday and I'm
going to get it checked out.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

I had spells like this as a teenager, only I would actually faint and totally black out. I had iron-deficiency anemia and that's what was causing it. I was lucky that I never actually hit my head on anything when I fell, because I would actually pass out. I had to get blood transfusions and be put on iron supplements for a long time. I'm glad you're going to get checked out because this is nothing to fool around with.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #11  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Glad your going to get checked out. I have something called neurocardiogenic syncope in which the blood flow doesnt properly get to my brain and heart and causes passing out. Also really low blood pressure which may be your problem. Does it happen any other time besides getting out of bed in the morning? Like after a hard workout, or being super stressed, or even getting too hot?

Oh and if it is a blood pressure thing you might want to try messing with your salt intake. i know personally that i have to eat a diet high in salt to help my body retain fluid of i get dehydrated very easily and it results in passing out.

Good luck at you appt.

Last edited by CandyKisses0204; 06-28-2010 at 11:04 PM.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #12  
Bella Signora ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses0204 View Post
Does it happen any other time besides getting out of bed in the morning? Like after a hard workout, or being super stressed, or even getting too hot?
Nope. Just when I'm laying/sitting
down for a long time.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I heard some people say that drinking coconut milk has helped stop them from blacking out. Maybe something to do with electrolytes.

Hope you are able to sort it out
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote