Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253.6/235.6/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercise

I have tried searching out the forums to see what people do for exercise and have little to no success. Please share with us what you do, how often you do it, and has it helped you loose or has it made your weight loss slow down.
:running ::trea d:
SweetSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/168/150

Height: 5'8

Aloha,
SweetSheila, I have been doing Callenetics for years. i HAVE BEEN PREGNANT 3 TIMES IN 6 YRS!!So I am so stoked to get back to it. It is amazing. It is like nothing else I have ever done. I was always fit but needed to work harder as i got older. When I found Callenetics, it made it so easy fun and they are just elegant exercises you can do at home. It will change your body like nothing else! She claims if you do 10 sessions, you will look 10 yrs younger. 1 yr for each session, and it is true. She has a book where you can see pics of many of her students. UNTOUCHED after each session. She was very big in 70's and she looks amazing. HAs but like a peach and is in her 60-70's now. It is true because at 36 yrs old ,someone thought I was in early 20;s.( I am making a come back after having a baby 7 months ago! Long way...)But Callenetics will help get there faster!
The moves are basically strength training, isometrics Combining yoga, belly dancing, pilates, and ballet. VERY small movements are done in poses. And you can use furniture in your home. Everyone I have told about is tripped by what it does to their shape.One or two moves are tough in beginning, and even give you a charlie horse, but after a day or two ,it passes. I can not say enough about it!You tube may show her. People have used her name to make up other versions but try to get Callen Pickney.The book is great too, with pictures that so inspire! Aloha
MissZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

SweetSheila- good thread idea! I'm not sure on the exercise either, but have just been doing light walking.

MissZ- gonna have to check out the Callanetics.. I hadn't heard of it before. I've read on here not to get your heart rate up too high with exercise. Does Callenetics get your heart pumping or not so much? I seem to get an increased heart rate with strength training.
kplus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  

Kplus,

Aloha. It doesn't really get the heart rate up much at all! You can do on the floor at relaxing pace. Take breaks when you need. Definetly check out you tube, you'll see what I mean. Since I have 3 small kids, and like now, it is a 3 ring circus , I do get pulled away. But just pick back up.May work well for ya!Aloha
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 151/133/125 (ID-June2nd)

Height: 5'3"

great thread!

I guess my exercising is doing me some good as I went from 151 to 138 in 22 days and I didn't follow the non-restricted protocol for the first couple weeks

Week 1, I did strength training, yoga, cardio, hockey nearly everyday like I normally would BUT since my coach told me to cut back half, I just did everything with either lighter weights or half the rep - all but hockey since we've usually got a short bench and it's a team sport. I think my energy on the ice is exactly the same as pre-ID

But lately, I've gotten lazy. This week, I've only played hockey twice, rollerbladed for an hour (only 1/4 of that was butt-crunching uphill stuff) and today I've got a dance workshop for 3hrs.

my coach asks me every week if my energy lvl has increased since going on ID and I've said it's still the same as before. She figures it hasn't increased because I had a well balance diet previously, I did get in all my daily protein.

The one thing I try to do is keep my restricted packs for days I know that I'll be doing some exercising - in my head, it makes up for the extra carbs I'm putting in.

I noticed when I'm doing Plyometrics, my legs get that kinda ache now about half hour into it

If I had to suggest doing exercise on this program if you were previously active, I'd say Yoga - for anyone, actually. You've got your breathing under control so your heart rate will stay steady but it will work you over, And if you can't hold a certain pose, you can take a mini break - all you need is just a couple seconds if you find your muscles are on fire then you get right back into it
AngieEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

Very interesting, this Callenetics. I tried watching on Youtube, but the clips I found were not long enough to get a good idea. Can you tell us a particular clip that is long lasting we could use, or perhaps another site to look at? Thank you!!

Oh, and I am sooo totally uncoordinated so am not sure how well I can do at this, yoga or anything similar. I bought a step and step program and just can't get my coordination to follow along...hehe.

I do meet with a personal trainer each week, I see him an hour twice a week, so I am actually getting four sessions with him. I LOVE it! We have been meeting for over a year now. It may slow my loss, not so sure. I do know, my body is toning right along as I loose, so if it does slow me down, I really don't care. I don't mind my loss, I have about a 2 lb per week average, I am guessing, I'll take that!! I sure couldn't get that with another diet!! I also play tennis with my family two to three times a week when the weather permits. I won't play in this above 90 degree weather, but when it's nicer, we sweat our booties off and have so much fun. We are no good at it, but is fun learning together, and is such great excercise.

Last edited by motiv8edmama; 06-26-2010 at 01:05 PM.
motiv8edmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #7  

Interval training:
Cardio using an old, original NordicTrack ski machine &
Strength training with kettlebells...

I put on an Elvis Presley CD & ski for the length of one song, then pause it & do a set of kettlebell swings, then start the music again, ski another song, then do a set of kb snatches, alternating all the way through the CD like that... other kb moves are thrusters, presses, & curls... the whole routine takes about 45 minutes & I do it 3 or 4 times a week... I use a 15 lb. kb for most moves, but sometimes drop down to a 10 lb... as soon as I notice that the 15 lb. isn't a challenge, I'll graduate to the next size up, a 25 lb... I also do kb presses with the 10 lb. sometimes while I'm sitting at the computer... my shoulders are starting to look amazing!!!..

I also do some hiking, maybe a couple of miles of rolling hills, at least once a week...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

I'm a walker. I walk on my treadmill 3-4 times a week at about 3mph on 5.5% grade. Have been walking 3 miles, just uped it to 4!
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #9  

Motiv8edmama!
Well, it looks like the best way to get an idea is when you put in Callanetics in you tube, click the 10 min video. That is the beginning of sequence.It shows how slow and the small movements. Then look at "old school stomach exercises Callanetic". They are the hardest to get through initially, but really work. The hips are tricky at first too.I would look at those also. the rest are pretty easy. Lots of stretching. I use furniture in my house when I need to substitue a ballet bar.
Next trip to Barnes & Noble or border's you can also give the book a look maybe? You can probably get for a couple bucks used through amazon too!Aloha
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #10  

I'm getting ready to add yoga to my exercise menu... there's a free class at one of the local community centers tomorrow morning... I'll be a total beginner & have no idea what to expect... I've done some searching through the entire 3FC Community, & info about yoga is sparse... so, instead of researching it to death, like I usually do for most things, I'm just gonna jump in & experience it...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/166/140 started: 5/25

Height: 5'5"

Before IP, I used to go to Boot Camp 5-6 days a week (about 20 mins of stretching/warmup and 30 min of actual boot camp), pilates 1 day a week (45 mins) and played fun league soccer 2 times a week (1.5hrs per game). When I first met with my IP coach, he asked me to stop exercising completely and, the stubborn girl that I am, I refused, but promised to tone it down a bit.

So, now I do bootcamp 3-4 days a week. I cut out the soccer and this week is my last pilates class.

I can't comment on whether it has helped or hindered my weightloss because I've been active since starting IP. I feel better that I am physically active, although, I am hungrier on these days and usually have an additional IP packet.

I know my coach is NOT happy about the physical activity. he mentions it everytime and thinks the dizziness is caused by it. Since I know my body more than anyone, I personally think it is the diet itself that sometimes makes me feel awful.

I feel that I am toning, and building strength and muscle because of exercising. Muscle burns more fat and continues to do so long after exercise.

I have my week 5 weigh-in tomorrow evening, so i'll let you know if the exercise is not interfering with my weightloss (which is about 2.5lbs per week so far).
dietfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietfrenzy View Post
I know my coach is NOT happy about the physical activity. he mentions it everytime and thinks the dizziness is caused by it. Since I know my body more than anyone, I personally think it is the diet itself that sometimes makes me feel awful.
HAHAHAHA... tell him "WHATEVER!!"... I haven't done any exercise on the plan, unless you count walking the dogs, and I am dizzy OFTEN! It is better when I increase the sodium but, if I don't keep it up, the dizziness comes back! It is the diet effecting my blood pressure which is now low, low.

Keep doing what makes you feel good.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
I'm getting ready to add yoga to my exercise menu... there's a free class at one of the local community centers tomorrow morning... I'll be a total beginner & have no idea what to expect... I've done some searching through the entire 3FC Community, & info about yoga is sparse... so, instead of researching it to death, like I usually do for most things, I'm just gonna jump in & experience it...

hugs
Yoga is wonderful. I have just recently started again and love it. Being a beginner should be no big deal. Most poses can be adjusted either easier or more advanced. Just remember that it may seem like just a lot of stretching, but it really is exercise, so you may need to add another packet on your yoga days. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
Stacey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

I was actively exercising prior to being on IP. I informed my coach of this when I started and she only suggested that I tone it back some. I did as she asked and have been able to keep working out from day one. I do not know if it has made a difference in my weight loss one way or another. I just have my 3rd WI and am down 24lbs. I do 20/30 mins light cardio, 20/30 mins worth of weights, and sauna for 15/20 mins 3 times a week. I was doing this all before IP and not losing a thing. But now I am and have been more than happy with the results I'm getting. I think it may be different for everyone. I say give walking or biking a shot to start with then see how you feel from there.
jlewis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #15  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis88 View Post
I was actively exercising prior to being on IP. I informed my coach of this when I started and she only suggested that I tone it back some. I did as she asked and have been able to keep working out from day one. I do not know if it has made a difference in my weight loss one way or another. I just have my 3rd WI and am down 24lbs. I do 20/30 mins light cardio, 20/30 mins worth of weights, and sauna for 15/20 mins 3 times a week. I was doing this all before IP and not losing a thing. But now I am and have been more than happy with the results I'm getting. I think it may be different for everyone. I say give walking or biking a shot to start with then see how you feel from there.

Good advice. But even more, those glorious results which I think you've worked for, and earned.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote