Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Steel Magnolias #311

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I made a great loaf of bread in my Breadman today and it is a keeper recipe. Hawaiian Bread that has pineapple and banana in it. Kinda heavy on the points but I have leaned to make bread on a day when my resolve is strong. I have in the crock pot some pork which I am making Carolina Barbequed Pork to make sandwiches on my favorite 1 point buns later along with some coleslaw that is so low in points you need a magnifying glass to find them. Life is good. Got the bulletin typed and copied for tomorrow and some copies made of my glass patterns. Guess I got something done this day besides cooking.

DONNA sounds like you do have the husband that suits you and is a definite keeper. My Cowboy is the answer to my prayers so I don't ever talk against him for he is what I asked for. Thanks for sharing your picture ~ sure makes a difference doesn't it to have lost 50 plus. You will be at goal in no time for sure.

JEAN I saw on the news about the snow being dumped in your area. Stay cozy.

Have a wonderful Sunday folks.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:42 AM   #2  

Just peeking in before I head off to bed.

Donna -- Your DH must definitely be a romantic guy! I'd say you are one lucky gal. Thanks for posting the picture . . . you can really see the difference that -57#s makes.

Maggie -- I had a relative from MN call tonight asking about our snow. We got maybe 3" but the wind whipped it into huge drifts, while bare in other spots. The ice was worse than the snow. I missed the news tonight so maybe further south got more. Your food always sounds so yummy! Do you put bar-b-que sauce on your pork? What is the Carolina part? I've not been very happy with my bread machine; the loaves always seem so little and weird looking. I haven't done a "from scratch" recipe so will have to do that one of these days.

I am going to bed! Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa
Old 02-16-2003, 03:13 AM   #3  
Thin Within

Red face Nighers

GOOD NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

Checking in before I head for bed .....

JEAN I have never used a mix for bread and always start from scratch and my bread always comes out great by just following the manufactures instructions. I got the book BETTY CROCKERS BEST BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK which has some great recipes in it. The pork recipe came out of a booklet that came with my crock pot. I don't add any additional BBQ sauce ~ just what the recipe calls for. I will type out the recipe for you and I don't have a clue why it was named after Carolina except maybe this is the way the cook pork there and if it is I truly thank them for Cowboy and I both really like it.

CAROLINA BARBECUED PORK
2 onions, quartered
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 4-6 pound boneless pork butt or shoulder roast
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tesspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Hamburger buns (I use Wonder-Lite that are 1 Point each)

Place the onions in the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker. Combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper and rub the mixture over the roast. In a jar, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Drizzle 1/2 of the vinegar mixture over the roast. Cover and refrigerate the remaining vinegar mixture. Cover; cook on low for 10 hours or on High for 6 hours. remove the meat and onions and drain. Chop or shred the meat and chop the onions. Serve the meat and onions on buns. Use the remaining vinegar mixture to drizzle over the sandwiches.

Hope you try it one day and if you don't want it real spicey cut back on the crushed red pepper flakes.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #4  

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe, it sounds yummy. I may try it with a low fat cut of beef too. Is your slaw a vinegar rather than mayo slaw? My mom made the best vinegar slaw and I never got the recipe before she died. I cannot believe a Californian puts slaw on BBQ! Way to go girl! I learned it living here in Memphis, BBQ capital (actually we have a pit bbq across the street from the condos and I have to walk past everyday let alone the smells wafting into our backyard all the time!). I love Memphis BBQ and really miss it, but whoa too much fat for me.

Jean: My husband is a doll. We have the best times together and actually prefer to spend time with each other. We pretty much do everything together. He makes me laugh in fact, to get me to smile for pics he wil say, "Say " which will crack me up and he snaps away. He is not perfect. He tends to leave things where he takes them off or puts them down and I am forever going behind him and cleaning them up and he drives like satan himself is behind him, but I deal with that (we have a nice expensive car with electric seat recline!!!!! ) What I can't see I won't see us hit!

Well, I need to check and see if Moses needs to come back from the dead and build us another ark or can I go and walk!

Donna

Last edited by jackslady; 02-16-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #5  

I thought all you cat lovers might like to see what my husband found when he was fixing the faucet and came back into the bathroom. Butterscotch is a hoot.

Donna
Old 02-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Today is going quite well and I am staying within my points. Got home from church and had a nice lunch with my Cowboy. I love it when the click goes cliclety clack with me and keeps my FOCUS as I sit here sipping a nice cup of vanilla cappuccino that is costing only 1 POINT for the half cup of frothed 1% milk because I use syrup that is sweetened by Splenda to sweeten it. Life is good.

DONNA thanks for that picture of your cat so cute curled up in the sink. I will type out the slaw recipe for you and you can decide if you want to make it or not.... and BTW it was Noah that built the Ark.

COLESLAW a la MAGGIE ~ Serves 6 1 POINT
Mix together in a container that has a tight fitting lid the following:
1/3 cup Miracle Whip Light
1/3 cup White Wine Rice Vinegar
2 envelopes Splenda or other sweetener of your choice
Pinch of each of the following: celery seeds, seasoned salt, freshly ground pepper, herbes of your choice.

Pour the above mixture over a 1 pound bag of shredded cabbage with shredded carrots.

This slaw is good with lots of different food or just a nice snack on it's own.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #7  

Maggie: Horsewhip me with Moses staff! I have been in church since I was old enough to walk! What a BIG faux pas! Thanks for correcting my screw up! Thanks for the slaw recipe also!

Donna
Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #8  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is nice to get back to this site. A very busy weekend and then more stuff this morning. First we have snow coming down and they are predicting it will fall at the rate of 2" per hr from 1PM-Midnight. That's 24" folks
Friday, dgs went to Florida for 4 days, (Feb. Vac). He went alone (18) and is meeting a friend in college down there. On Sun. DD#1, his Mom, and dgs Cam (9) went to visit her inlaws in Naples. Flight went Bos>Cleveland>Ft. Myers. Cam has a cold and when they got there he had a fever. She called us this AM and asked if we could get his Dr up here to fax his BC info. They wouldn't for cofidentiality reasons. So we went to her house, found the BC card and had it faxed to her at the Dr's office down there. It never ends. At least he has been seen and given medication so hopefully the rest of the vacation will be OK. My question is how do you forget your medical info on such a trip? I love her dearly but I don't know where her mind is some times.

Also on Sunday, DD#2 asked us to watch their dog, Moshup, for 2 days while they took the kids on a short stay at a hotel in Plymouth. They will be back Tues. Then we had the Senior Dinner Social at the church. It was a Turkey dinner with all the fixings and was a nice time. Best was it was free.

DH is now out walking Moshup and the snow is really coming down and building up. He may not get his second walk today.

MAGGIE: I am going to try that Slaw recipe...DH doesn't eat slaw but I love it.

DONNA: I, also, have a Jack!!! His driving sounds like your DH's and I think I will use the reclining seats. What you don't see won't hurt you!!!!! I love it! That cat is adorable, thanks for posting the picture. Do you have a digital camera or do you use a scanner? I have a scanner but no digital camera.

Gloria in MA.....battening down the hatches for a big blow!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #9  

Hello everyone! I seem to be the only person without tons of snow or ice. We have flooding instead. It finally stopped raining sometime last night, but it is COLD! At least for me it is.

Gloria: Don't you wonder sometimes where the kids brains are? My dd is a total nut about stuff. We bought a hugely expensive car seat for our dgs to put in our car with the ability for him to stay in it until he is 4. She is now saying we need to buy a new one because he is outgrowing it. BOLOGNA! The problem is, we won't get to take him anywhere unless Hitler gets her way! Like you, I love her to pieces, but she just drives me nuts! I bought Jack a digital camera for Christmas. It is a Samsung and we love it. We have one of the first ones that came out, but this one is so very much better. I paid less than $200 for it and got it at Walmart's. We have a scanner too, but the darn thing confuses the heck out of me! My dh is an electronics nut. We have 3 computers, assorted mice, keyboards, etc he has "outgrown" and gone on to something newer, 2 digital and one ap style camera, 2 scanners (our daughter has the older one), 4 printers including a photographic printer that costs a bazillion dollars for photo paper and ink, and discs and cds everywhere and he thinks I have too many handbags, shoes, and scarves. Hey, I can buy 2 leather handbags at the leather outlet for what he spends on one program!

Well, I need to go get a piece of fruit until lunch.

See all you ladies later!
Donna
Old 02-17-2003, 03:10 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I missed you guys yesterday! By the time everyone left last night, I headed for bed! Since I spent most of Saturday getting food ready and doing a little cleaning then having 4 extra people around and a baby who is the "entertainment committee of one", I was too pooped to pop!

Maggie -- Thanks for the bread book info. -- I'm going to check that out on Amazon.com as soon as I finish here. The pork recipe sounds so good; I can almost smell it cooking! Thanks for the recipes. I read about Moses and the ark and never gave it a thought! How many years have I read about Noah to my kids and Sunday School classes? Boy, do I feel dumb! Just goes to show I don't always read as carefully as I should!

Donna -- Have you ever seen Cookie's Bar-B-Q sauce at the grocery store? It is a small business that started in someone's home and has grown into quite a business in rural Iowa. We took our kids through it on a Business Opportunity Day a few years ago. The business was beginning to branch out across the US at that time. My DH is "Mr. Tidy-House" himself! He can't stand clutter and my piles drive him nutty. I can't stand the dirt and fuzz balls and his comment is always, "what dust, what lint?!" The picture of Butterscotch is so cute! He/she looks like my Leonard only Leonard is alot bigger. I'm sure you know what I thought of when you talked about having "assorted mice" at your house!

Gloria -- It's nice of you to babysit your "granddog!" I hope the snow stops soon although from the news reports, it sounds like you are really going to get it. One of our teachers was supposed to fly into Washington, D.C., from Paris today. I don't think she'll be landing there. I hope your grandson gets along ok -- it's scary to be sick away from home!

I need to get moving. We went to a funeral this morning and then took my car in for an oil change. I have card club tonight and a 7:15 breakfast/staff meeting in the morning. Boy, does time fly by when you're not looking! Have a great week!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:23 PM   #11  

Jean: Playing cards or greeting cards club? If playing, what do you play? One of the things I miss in Indiana is playing Euchre. We always had a game going at family functions. Heaven help me if it were rodent type mice I would be out the door cat or no cat. I am so phobic, I couldn't watch Stuart Little with my grandson because I thought he looked too "real." Regarding Noah/Moses, I didn't even realize I had put Moses I guess! DUH!

I fixed myself a fat free jello pudding with fat free cool whip on top and decided to mix it together. Yummy! Man, you could make a really good low fat chocolate pie with that using low fat grahams or some type of low fat cookie, splenda and olive oil margarine. I may have to try that and see how it comes out!

I put a nice pot roast and carrots in the oven and am making some yeast rolls for hubby for dinner and the smell is about to drive me crazy! I am not sure I am even going to eat the pot roast. The under side looked awfully fatty to me. We will see when it is done. I love to cook and miss it being on the program. We eat two separate meals and Jack cooks a lot of his stuff now himself unless it is something he doesn't know what to do.

Well, I need to get back downstairs. You ladies try and stay warm!
Donna
Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Monday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Busy day on a quest for something that stores should carry but I will just have to order it from a catalogue. Used to have one and used it up ~ a mini sized electric griddle ~ 2 person size. Good thing for my sanity I do know where to order it from. I like using one and those big ones that the stores carry just don't work in this small space.

GLORIA it is nice that places will develop your pictures and include them on a CD. That prevents me from having a scanner or a digital camera. Sounds like you had a nice dinner.

DONNA no you aren't the only one here without snow and ice ~ I am way out here on the left coast in the sunshine. What program are you following? Your roast smells so good cooking..... I would just have to shred some and make a beef and rice burrito. I like to do a roast in the crock pot with an envelop of dry onion soup and 1/4 cup of water for shredded beef. It is a killer smell when I do it overnight.

JEAN hope you do find that bread cookbook for it is a good one for sure. Sleep quick this night for your meeting will be coming early.

Have a wonderful evening folks.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:49 PM   #13  

Good evening from the Ice Princess

We have 8" of ice, and I can't believe we haven't lost any power! Everyone has now stocked up on flashlights, batteries, lamp oil, etc. so Wally World had a great weekend!

Donna, your new picture is wonderful! You're an inspiration. Is your cat an Abyssinian? Looks that way in the pix. My neighbor came over this afternoon with her Jack Russell Terrier, and my Maine Coon was stalking him! What a hoot! Poor old "Chowder" was terrified. Earlier in the day another friend had come in with her Doberman. The cat hopped up on the dining room table and they were nose to nose checking each other out. As much as I hate this ice, it's kinda nice when they tell you to stay home, as neighbors tend to visit when the cabin fever sets in.'

Jean, you should know our friend Maggie wouldn't dream of ever making anything which wasn't from scratch! She wouldn't know how to act Maggie, what's the difference between white cider vinegar and rice vinegar? I made the Barley, Mushroom, Corn and Wild Rice Soup that's on the WW website this week. We had it for dinner and it was great. I used chicken broth instead of the veggie, didn't have any sage, so threw in the flavoring packet from the rice, and cooked it on low for about an hour, since my son was outside trying to dig out his car. I think I'll try the beef broth next time. I hope youall are as impressed as I am that I actually ventured into the kitchen! I'm doing more of that these days........Maybe it's because it's too cold and slick to walk outside.

I'm off to read my book. I've become very interested in the Lewis and Clark anniversary. I'd read "From Sea to Shining Sea" several years ago, and was exhausted by the time "we" reached the headwaters of the Columbia River. I know what a chore it is to drag a canoe upstream against the current for about 100 yds. and it blows my mind when I read what they did.

Supposed to have an exhibit here this week by a woman who is an authority on the way quilts were used as codes in the Underground Railroad safe houses. I've finished a book about them, and am looking forward to chatting with this gal. she's doing a program Thurs. night, but I have WW at the hospital, so that's out for me. I'm hoping she'll be visiting a school or two and I can sneak into the back of the auditorium:~}

Have a good one.
Bubs
Old 02-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies!

I have to type fast as I need to get going this morning and get my chores and exercise in.

Bubs: I have no idea what kind of cat Butterscotch is. He looks tabby is that a kind? I know nothing about cats. He was a tiny stray kitten that showed up at the back door of my husband's plant and no one would bring him home so Jack tried getting him into a no kill shelter here and no one would take him. One wanted $125 to do it! I know they have to have money to operate, but come on! Anyway, he called me and ask what to do. He thought the cat had been attacked and had lost an eye (turned out to be just an eye infection) and though I am not a cat lover, I told him to bring him home. We have a Yorkie that Jack bought me three years ago and is the gentlest dog you have ever seen. He rarely even barks, but he is pretty spoiled with just the two of us. He was terrified of the cat, but they are good buds now. I love information about the Civil War in fact, Jack and I are going to see Gods and Generals this weekend, hopefully. Unfortunately, I boohoo through movies like that that have a factual background. This exhibit or talk or whatever sounds fascinating.

Maggie: I forget we have a Californian in our midst. Weather has been pretty nice out there. I am on a 1600 cal/400 fat cal diet. I set up my menu for the day including snacks every morning and following it religiously. It has worked tremendously. It takes time and everyone doesn't have time to do it, but I write everything I eat down and it has kept me honest.

Jean: good morning to you lady! Hope you are digging out!

Gotta go and get those chores done and quit fooling around.

Donna
Old 02-18-2003, 03:18 PM   #15  

Hi Donna,

Abysinnians are fairly small cats, and all one color......kind of the same color as a fawn, but without the spots. They're quite athletic, although I've never been around one for any length of time. I have a friend who raises Maine Coons, which is what I have. They're big, affectionate, slugs. He's a doc, and was having BP problems which were job related........surprise! Anyway, he got his first couple of cats and started showing them, and the rest , as they say, is history. I think they're now up to about 30 of them in their cattery. They keep their breeding males in the basement in cages, but the rest of them have the run of the house. What a zoo, but it works for them.

Helped my neigbor shovel her car out earlier. I still can't make a dent on my son's. I heard the county has run out of salt, which I'm sure is happening all over.........they'll probably have to go to Memphis or Savannah to replenish their supply We may not have school here before Monday if they can't get salt. At least Charlotte didn't get hammered again.

I'm off to read my book
Bubs

Last edited by graybubs; 02-18-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Closed Thread