Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #32

Good morning to you all! I took out the trash this morning and it wasn't steaming, but very humid and not cool by any means. It is showing thunderstorms for most of the week now but with this heat who knows what we will get.

I am including a pic of Jackson my son posted on Facebook yesterday. I thought it was so cute I just couldn't resist. His parents frequent this restaurant/bar a lot so he is well known there. Sure looks like he is enjoying his popcorn! lol

I was at the doctor's office for nearly 3 hours yesterday. I had to sit in the lobby for 45 minutes then when they took me back I was in the room nearly 2 hours before she showed up apologizing that she had surgery in the morning that took longer. I do NOT know why I made the appt for Tuesday as I know she has surgery on that day. Ugh, anyway, we discussed everything and she frankly is stymied so back to square one. She is having me go in and have another saline infusion ultrasound done (the one that causes the horrible cramping) so she can be sure there is nothing in my uterus then I have to go back to her on the 16th. I was afraid she wouldn't know what to do since the meds didn't work and even caused more problems. I talked to her at length about what was actually causing the problem. She said some women have too much estrogen and their uterus looks "fluffy" as she called it. She said obese women especially have this problem. She said she has seen women's uteruses look like "shag carpeting" as she put it, but such is not the case with me. She said some women have too much progesterone, but that isn't my problem either as the meds I was on should have balanced that out and stopped the problem instead of making it worse. I quizzed her on the fact that I did not have cancer, fribroids, endometriosis, cysts on my ovaries, etc, etc and she said there is nothing there. So, back I go for another of these torture ultrasounds, probably next week some time. If it weren't such a situation, I would laugh about it as it has become ridiculous.

I have started a new pair of socks for my daughter but I am not sure I like the color. It is kind of a gold and plain instead of having variations in color like I thought it would. I guess I will just have to knit more sock to see how it comes out.

Going over to the pool today to swim with the "boy." He emailed me a couple days ago and said he was going to be home all week this week and next, though they leave on Thur of next week for Italy and Egypt for two weeks. I know he has to be excited about that. I am just nervous when they travel out of the country, but it is great they provide him with such opportunities.

Well gals, I am going to hunt up some breakfast and get chores done so I can go swim around 9. Have a good hump day all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacksonp.jpg (32.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-23-2010 at 07:42 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday In The Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another warm day here in the Heartland and now that Summer is officially entered I am certain we will have many more days to mirror this one. This kid that has moved into our basement among Will's stuff is a jewel. Kid, well he is 26 and very well educated and a pleasure to talk with. He likes the same things we do and it is if we raised him. Reads the same books and watches the same very few TV programs we do. He just this morning moved into the basement and was gone by the time I got up. His schedule will keep him away for most of the day and we will enjoy his company in the evenings when he doesn't have to be at a function. Ragg Mopp adores him and yipekio he has a new friend to pester. Tonight for dinner I am making a new thing I ran across. Chicken breasts dipped in egg then dredged in Frenches dry onions which have been broken up with a rolling pin. Baked and they sure looked good in the advertisement. Some baked beans and fruit and cottage cheese will do I do believe. That be the plan anyway.

DONNA FAYE I am so glad your trash wasn't steaming (what I read first) then got the rest of the story. What a precious picture of that little Jackson. What a charmer. Hope you took a good book to read while you waited that almost 3 hours at the docs. Gracious sakes, I do hope this next go round they can get you all fixed up. Did you enjoy your swim this day?

SUSAN & JEAN Howdy to the two of you.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #3  

Good afternoon, ladies! Even hotter than yesterday but the humidity is down to 46%.

I've really been missing my walks around the neighborhood but it was good enough today I went out around 10 and walked for 30 minutes. I went a different way today and walked to the pool. I was amazed that the trees around there have grown bit enough that half the pool was in the shade. I'm thinking about getting a suit and going for an early swim 3 days a week.

Faye, I'm sorry the doctor didn't have a definitive answer for you and you have to go through that test yet again. I hope you enjoy your day with T. Jackson is so big...a boy after my own heart - popcorn!

Maggie, thanks for the recipes! I'm glad the young man is such a good match for you and Will.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 06-23-2010 at 04:17 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. Another dr appt today to check on the bp meds and see if she wants to keep them the same or change them. Part of the problem is they have some real dopes working in the clinic. They rush me around in the back but then don't let me sit quietly and then take my bp. They also try and take it on my upper arm, which is too big for the cuffs so they pump the thing up until I almost explode. She usually makes me sit for a couple minutes then takes it again herself.

Susan: I went over to Kelly's yesterday to swim with one of my favorite little boys and their pool is completed shaded all the time and it was 90 degrees. So, all this hot weather has sure warmed up the pools. He and I played with his big squirt guns and talked about his trip out west and his cooking clases and such. His birthday is tomorrow and we are going to go with him to Incredible Pizza at lunch and then Melting Pot for dinner. I told Thomas I think he has grown everytime I see him so I am sure Jackson will be a shock to me. He has lost all his baby chubbiness and is sprouting right up. Can't believe he is three already.

Maggie: Glad your houseguest will work out for you. We had flank steak and potatoes and veggie for dinner last night. It wasn't quite as hot, about 5 degrees cooler, but boy the house heated up quickly just going in and out to the bbq.

I need to get upstairs and get some work done before my dr appt this afternoon so I am going to go. Have a great day today! Faye
Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! Another 100 degree day. We are baking!

Nothing happening today but work. I brought one of my favorite salads for lunch - salad greens, strawberries, goat cheese and almonds. I'm having Faye's Chili for supper tonight.

Faye, It's so nice you get to spend some one-on-one time with T. He's an amazing boy! Did your doctor like her socks?

Hi, Maggie.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #6  

Quick good morning to you ladies. We have a packed day ahead of us. I have some errands then we are supposed to meet Thomas and his mom for lunch at Incredible Pizza then some more errands then birthday dinner at the Melting Pot with both sides of the family.

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, THOMAS!

Susan: My doctor loved the socks, they fit and she said she was very touched. She then told me not to tell anyone, but I was her favorite patient. She said she would look on her schedule everyday to see who she had and she said it always brightened her day to see my name. I asked her why for heaven's sake. She said, whenever you come in here, no matter how you feel or what is going on you are always happy and pleasant. She says she always says to herself when I am going to be in that day, "Good, at least I will have one pleasant patient!" We finally got the bp meds settled too and she assigned me my new doctor who is a first year resident so I will have her for 3 years that way. She also gave me someone she said she knew I would like, which is nice. We talked about the female stuff and discussed her opinion and she asked me what I wanted to do. When I left I went and had blood drawn for electrolytes because I take a bp diuretic then home I went. I am now waiting for the paperwork for the hysterogram which will probably be next week.

I better fly I have tons to do today including wrapping T's presents, which I have been dragging my feet about of course. I haven't even bought his birthday card yet either. Have a good weekend everyone! Faye
Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #7  

Good afternoon, ladies! Only 90 today.

Housecleaning and menu making for next week today. Not very exciting is it? I'm kind of in a funk where I don't feel like quilting so will give it a short rest. I've been reading a lot.

Faye, what a nice way to spend T's birthday! I hope your new doctor is good. Maybe this one will be able to help you.

I making fish tacos for supper (out of the Biggest Loser Cookbook). I haven't tried them before but they really sound good.

Have a nice evening!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #8  

Good morning gals! Today is the ugh commissary day so will be out and about soon to get groceries. Jack and I were both up early this morning, me because the dog wanted out and Jack said he couldn't go back to sleep after getting up to go to the bathroom. So, instead of a little sleep in, we are up early.

T's birthday day went just fine. He went to dunkin donuts for his birthday and they gave him a whole bag of donuts and donut holes for his birthday. Of course when you are nearly 5 ft tall and only weigh about 75 lbs or so I imagine donuts do no harm! He then had his incredible pizza for lunch, mostly to play the games and he went go carting with granddad. Jack said it isn't so hard to get in the things but getting out of them is tough. They played deal or no deal game and then we left and he and his mom did mini golf, bowling, etc. We then were supposed to meet them at 5:30, left 40 minutes early for about a 15 minute drive and arrived there an hour later due to a huge traffic snarl. They are doing some kind of road construction about 8 miles out of town and they had traffic backed up clear into town on the interstate. It was a horrendous mess. Everyone had to sit and wait on us, but we had a grand time. Thomas opened his video game and said, "I love you." to me about it so I laughed. He liked his new socks and everybody was impressed by them. My son-in-law sat next to me and I had to explain how you knit on 4 needles and kept the stitches on. I guess next time we get together I will have to show him how it is done. It is kind of hard to explain if you don't have the knitting with you. We had great food, but Jack and I got the cajun entree and it was dry rubbed in spices and too much for me. It was packed on the filet, chicken and shrimp pieces where you couldn't scrap it off before cooking so I didn't eat a lot of it. I ate a couple pieces of the endouille sausage and the cheese fondue and the chocolate fondue. They had some wonderful granny smith apple pieces I had a lot of and some really wonderful strawberries. I had a spinach salad that was ok, but was overloaded with thin sliced porchini mushrooms and that's about all you tasted. I think next time I will get the salad Jack had. He didn't want his sliced egg so I ate them and the dressing on the salad with the egg slices tasted just like deviled egg. All in all it was a pretty good meal and a fun time with Thomas. We made a date to go swimming Mon and Wed of next week, but they leave for Italy and Egypt on Thur so don't know if we will get to swim together Wed or not.

I guess I better go. I have a lot I want to accomplish again today. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Faye
Old 06-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies!

I went to WW this morning and am down 2 pounds. 8 pounds to goal (I think, I'm going to ask the doctor when I see her next month). They have the gingersnap cookies back for a limited time and I got the last box. I hope they get more. They are really good. Also only $2.50. Then I went grocery shopping. I got a jar of Kroger reduced-fat, reduced-sodium peanut butter that is only 130 calories for 2 tablespoons. They also have baked chicken breasts for $1 so I got one for lunch and made a salad. I'm having pasta fagoli for supper.

Faye, it sure sounds like you had a fun day. I steer clear of anything labeled as Cajan. Just too spicy for me and it makes my GERD act up. I finally found the directions for the fingerless gloves and I'll scan and email them to you today. I've been caught on those back ups on the interstate, too. No fun!

Hi, Maggie!

I'll be glad to have you back Jean!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day it is outside except it is hot. Tonight we are going to a birthday party for a 1 year old. His sis that turned 3 had her birthday a few days ago while they were out of town so it will be for both of them. Got the baby a gift certificate and the 3 year old a red head Beanie Baby called Ginger because she said she wanted a doll. Their older sis who turns 6 in October is a real character and says I am her best friend. I bought her the charm of Tin Man which she said was her favorite on my bracelet and am going to give it to her tonight and when her birthday comes around I'll get her a gift certifiate so she can pick out an outfit and get the 3 year old an outfit for the doll. Her father said he was surprised she didn't pick out that whistle. Ha, I told him I was not going to buy her one of those because they now cost $600. and when the gold prices go up so does the price of the whistle. My plan if she chose one of the real expensive charms (over $100) was to tell her "not that one." But she chose Tin Man right off and that was cool. Her mother told her that her charm bracelet was going to be kept in her jewlery box and when she wanted to wear it she needed to ask for it. She was NOT going to let her keep it in her room because of her little brother and sister would probably get hold of it and then who knows where it would end up. I'll get the 3 year old a charm of her choice when she turns 6 and she knows that. Anyway the party tonight should be fun. Our house guest is sure fun to have around. I'll be sad when his job here is finished and he moves on. Ragg Mopp sure likes having him here.

DONNA FAYE What a fun day with your little one. That traffic was sure backed up far. In my minds eye I could just picture it. Isn't it neat that those sox were a hit. I knew they just would put smiles on folks faces. I love Cajun spices. I make my own mix. The mo hotta mo betta. But Will can't take it since his gall bladder operation and he used to before then. Glad mine didn't affect me that way. I always add the spice to my plate but if I put it into the pot when I am cooking he couldn't eat it. So I have it in a shaker jar. I always spice up my things for the grill different than his also. Easy enough for me to do.

SUSAN On that great loss. You are so close to goal you can see it coming. You go girlfriend. Gingersnaps are naturally lower in points than other cookies it seems. They are so good with a glass of milk. It is sure nice that we can now get baked chicken in the markets instead of the fried variety isn't it. You can just buy what you want and not have to get the whole bird.

JEAN Still out there having fun in the sun are ya! Hope all is well with you.

Will just traded me a larger table for my glass works and took the smaller one for his office. This is so neat for now I can free up some of the space on my work table. Life is good. We are planning to go to our favorite butchers shop on Monday so we will get a bag of his homemade jerkey. YUM. I weigh it out and put it into little bags so I don't just eat out of the big bag of it. Works for me.

Too Hip Gotta Go! Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! We are home once again! You have been a chatty bunch this past week! The weather was so strange while we were in MN, cold enough for jackets one day, hot and humid the next, with rain off and on all week. No one had much luck catching fish of any kind, except catfish that no one keeps. It was raining yesterday; my 'mom' left yesterday morning in order to get her granddaughter back to Iowa so she could catch a plane early this morning. I was packing up some of our stuff and Bob suggested leaving since the fish weren't biting. His thought was that we'd just sit around and watch it rain, go to bed, and get up early today to drive home. We left around 4 and drove through some very heavy rain; he even pulled off on the shoulder one time. When we got home we were in a tornado watch until 3 AM; funnel clouds were heading our direction but fizzled before they got here. I went to bed but Bob sat up and waited it out with the TV weathermen. It is very humid today, and the temperature is 90.

Susan -- What a cute Luau picture! I'm glad you had fun. I like your idea of using the timer for chores. If I get on the computer, time flies and I don't get anything else done in the meantime. Congrats on losing another 2#s!

Maggie -- It sounds like it has been hot, hot, hot in your neighborhood. I'm glad you are enjoying your houseguest; it's nice of you to offer the space and I'm sure he is much more comfortable than in a motel. Thanks for sharing your recipes once again. I'm not fond of cajun but Jason really likes it.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you have electricity and your air is working. I'm sorry you have to have the "test" again, but maybe it will show something this time. Jackson has grown up so fast -- cute picture! I was sure your doctor would like her socks! It was nice of her to share her "you're a pleasant patient" thoughts with you. A belated to Thomas! It sounds like a wonderful trip they are going on. T is becoming a world traveler that's for sure.

I did a quick read of the posts while I was gone but know I've missed commenting on some. I have laundry going and lots of emails to sort through yet. Hope you all enjoy your evening and stay cool!

Jean -- from HOT Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. I hear the birds twittering away outside this morning. I know nothing about birds so don't know which breed it is, but they have a distinct call whatever it is.

Jean: Glad you got home safe and sound though sounds like your trip was kind of lousy at times. I feel for Bob not getting any good fishing in to speak of. I am sure you at least got a good visit in. Yes, I imagine by the time T is a grownup he will have traveled the world pretty much. They are spending 4 days in Rome then on to Egypt to catch up with their tour group. They leave around noon on Thur to fly to New York then I think they fly into Florence if I remember right what she said. Thomas is a hoot as he always studies up on the country he is going to before they get there so he knows all about the history of stuff. I guess there aren't many kids who by the time they are ten have been all over the US plus Mexico, Costa Rica, China, Egypt and Italy unless their parents are like ambassadors or missionaries or something.

Maggie: I have my knitting all over the place but don't have room in the condo to have my own space. I just have to make do with what I have. I keep telling Jack I would love to just convert the dining room to a big storage area where I could put shelving for a big pantry and shelving for my knitting and such. We don't eat in the dining room anyway because it has no lighting. Our dining room was actually a formal living room and our living room is the den. We have what they call an eat in kitchen but it is too small for a table in my opinion. We had it in the kitchen, but it got in the way so we just made the living room a dining room but didn't think about the lack of lighting. This place is old so a huge remodel is the only solution and there definitely isn't money for that. I like Cajun spiced food but this wasn't sprinkled on, it was rolled in spice and packed on thick so it wouldn't come off when cooked in the fondue pot. Unfortunately, it took away the flavor of the beef, chicken or shrimp because it was just too much.

Susan: Sounds like your fish tacos will be good. I love pasta fagioli soup and Olive Garden's is my favorite. I am starting a pair of footies for my sister today. I found a simple pattern that I can adjust to the type of yarn I am using and the smaller needles so I thought she might like to have a pair of blue ones as blue is her favorite color (though baby blue looks dreadful on her and she wears pastels all the time and she is a winter not a spring.) I figure on her feet they won't look bad!

We did the commissary shopping yesterday then Jack took me out to eat last night and we sat around discussing "Say Yes to the Dress" which he and I both enjoy. I know, kind of ridiculous for two seniors let alone one being a man to like that show, but we get a kick out of it. We sat and talked about what we considered "cheating" by a husband or wife, and if giving a bridal ring set to your fiance if it had been given to a previous one where the relationship didn't work out was an ok idea or not. We sometimes get into weird discussions of things when we go out to eat, but we enjoy each other and at least we don't sit there and not speak through the whole meal like I see a lot of couples do.

Well gals, I have a lot of cleaning to get done today, need to get breakfast and want to get on those footies so I will say TTFN! Have a good one all! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 06-27-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy, cool, breezy day in my neighborhood. There was more thunder, lightning, and rain during the night; the park, on our way into town, had areas under water so we got quite a bit. The mosquitoes are so thick and the repellent doesn't seem to work very well. We've been to church and out for breakfast, so now I need to work on the laundry pile. Bob's fishing clothes are on the basement floor and Ernie isn't too sure about the smell. He circles around them every time he walks by.

"Gma" -- I, too, have my craft stuff scattered, just because. I need to start digging as I have knitting needles and yarn from my mom, unfinished needlepoint from my mom, crocheting things that belonged to my grandma and my mom, and then my own half finished projects! I've thought some of making afghans for the grandkids because I like to do the afghan stitch and they go fast. I just don't need any more started but not finished projects. Someday I will be more organized . . . in my next life probably! I like to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" also; there is another program, but I'm not sure what it is called, that shows the elaborate expensive receptions. Bridezilla is another one I sometimes find by mistake. Our upper channels are not on the TV Guide so have to search to find them. Another favorite is "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" Our VCR died just before we left for MN and Bob brought home a new one with a DVD player too. I don't think I am smart enough to figure it out so may not even try. According to the book you can't record one channel while watching another one, so Bob is going to visit with the cable company on that one. We have a "box" but I'm not sure why, and he thinks the hooking them all together is different..

Well, I'm off to accomplish something! Enjoy your day and remember to !

Jean -- and from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #14  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another 100 degree day.

I just saw the ad for ABC's new program HUGE again. I sent abc an email and told them what a huge disservice they were doing telling teenagers it was okay to be so overweight and keep on stuffing themselves. I told them they would better serve them by showing them how to get healthy.

I've been doing some house cleaning today - washing blinds and rugs, cloroxing the kitchen counters, cleaned out the refrigerator. Just tons of fun. I made a big pot of 0-point vegetable soup. I got one of the Jennie-O all white meat turkey breast with gravy entrees. It's only 3 servings so I won't have to eat it forever. I'm having stuffing, green beans and cranberry sauce with it. My garbage disposal died today so tomorrow I'll have to go shopping for a new one.

Faye, look for the directions in your email. I watch "Say Yes to the Dress" and "Battle of the Wedding Planners" on Friday night. I can never imagine spending that much on a wedding dress. Mine cost $50 - of course that was 1972 but it was still cheap. My crafts are in a mess but confined to 2 rooms that I am working on a little every day.

Jean, glad you are back. I like farm raised catfish. Can't stand to look at them, but the fillets are great. I love blue gills and pearch, too. My dad and I used to fish for them. I got the idea for using a timer from Fly Lady. She's really getting me into some good routines.

Maggie, seems like we can always use a bigger table for our crafts. Enjoy the jerky!

Have a good evening!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #15  

Good morning to you gals. I saw it is already 80 degrees here and we are supposed to have storms today so I imagine the humidity will go sky high again. The kids leave this week for their trip so I am trying to get things ready for our houseguest. Marty is about 13 I think and has hip displasia and cataracts so I try and make sure he is safe in the house and can get around and such.

Fortune is going to the groomers this morning than back home for me to tackle more housework. I was going to go swimming with Thomas, but developed a slight swollen gland feeling in my left throat area so thought maybe I should wait it out. I told him we could go swimming tomorrow. I just felt icky all day yesterday because of the throat thing. I did fix Jack my lowfat lasagna, which he loves, but I didn't eat any. I had a small pb sandwich later on for dinner. He took the other serving and put it in a container to take to work for lunch this week.

Susan: I was highly offended by ABC putting out this show. Everyone and their brother is squawking about obesity in kids then they put a show out about it. Disgusting, in my opinion. I will keep an eye out for the email. I can't really remember how much my dress cost. My grandmother made it. It was all satin with bell sleeves and a-line. I found some darling lace that was bells and she put it on the neck around the sleeves and then I bought material for a small train and she put the lace around the train and made a bow out of satin and it attached to the back with snaps. Back then you gave out punch and cake, nuts and mints and didn't feed people or have huge dances etc like now unless you had a lot of money. You also used to put people to sleep because you would open your gifts at the reception. We put my wedding together in like three months and they messed up my wedding cake because the roses were supposed to be maroon and pink and they were bright red. It looked ghastly, but I didn't see it until the afternoon before the wedding at night so there was not a thing I could do. Then some idiot put the wrong flowers on the wrong people so that was messed up too. Jack was scared to death and when I took his hand when I got up to the preacher he literally made my whole body shake. We had an old style tent preacher kind of minister and he had us kneel before the prayer then started preaching. My legs went numb and I almost tripped on my gown when I got back up. Looking back the whole thing was a fiasco except for being married to the best man in the world. lol

Jean: I like to watch Pawn Stars too. That guy Chumley is simply adorable he is so dumb. I really find out a lot of interesting historical stuff from that show and I told Jack the next trip to Vegas I want to visit it just to look around. All the new seasons are starting so lots of new shows instead of reruns. I watched Memphis Beat the other night and it is pretty good. I thought it would make Memphis look like a joke, but it doesn't. I want to see the new show Rizzoli and Eisles when it comes out and I am a die hard fan of Burn Notice and Leverage. I watch The Closer and like it too. I just don't watch network tv as it is just plain horrible anymore. I always loved Law and Order, but when Jerry Orbach passed away the show wasn't as good anymore. I don't like Sam Waterston as the DA either. He was better as the irascible ADA. I don't watch Bridezillas as they make me too mad acting like they do. They have that show Platinum Weddings I think it is called where the idiots spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ on the wedding. What a waste of money.

Well gals, Jack will be up in a mo and I need to get the day started and get some chores done before I take the dog to the groomer at 7. Hope your week starts out great! Faye