Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #1  

Default Anyone use B12, Lipo B, and Phen for weight loss?

I am curious if anyone on here has used these or a combination and if so how well did it work and how long did it take to lose the weight.?

I have seen other forums where they list results, but I am not sure of the host reliability and if those posting are real replies.

I have an appointment this Friday with a medical weight loss doctor, not a clinic to discuss this combination. I have a bunch of tests the Dr. Will be taking on me and labs and stuff.

I will keep you all posted if it really does work or not.
robynlmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I'd run away fast from any 'medical weight loss' doctor that is advising any type of injections. Generally, the scam type weight loss doctors use injections because they sound scientific but are completely unnecessary. Do you have low B12? Have you got tested for it? B12 won't do anything for you if you aren't low in it and even if you are, an inexpensive pill would raise your B12 levels.

From what I've found, lipotropic-b type injections could be B12 with other B vitamins but it may vary, do you know exactly what is in the injections?

Also B vitamins won't cause you to lose weight, even B12 but what they do is if you are low in B vitamins (again a simple test from your regular doctor can tell you this), then they can make you feel good.

As for Phentermine, it is an appetite suppresant and people have had mixed results from it. If you have a regular doctor, your regular doctor can prescribe phentermine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #3  

I still think I will try it. I asked my regular Doctor 3 years ago and 40lbs lighter and she told me to go to a weight loss surgeon for surgery. I only weighed 170 and had just had a baby. I need the energy. I am too tired to exercise at the end of my 12 hour work day.

My daughter said she worked with a gal who used just B12 and her energy came back and she lost quite a bit of weight because she was no longer too tired to exercise.

I have tried almost every thing else and with each diet I have only weighed more than before I started including weight watchers.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #4  
Just Me

Why not go get B12 vitamins from your local drugstore then if you think you are low on vitamin b? A regular multi vitamin should have plenty of b vitamins in it.

I just got tested for B12 myself. Although if you are tired, it might be vitamin D as apparently the latest discovery is that many people are low in vitamin d and doctors are recommending vitamin d supplements.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 313/267/200

Height: 5'9"

I had my vitamin D checked and it was significantly low. There are many reasons for this from what I have read. Most people wear sunscreen before going outside, but the body uses the sun to make Vitamin D. Also, people who are over weight, the fat cells absorb the Vitamin D making it less potent in your body. I had a few low hormones and so I am on Vitamin D and DHEA per doctors orders.
pandaandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #6  

Thanks ladies. I will see how the injections go and if I get any results and if so I will post them here.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

A combo pill that gives you vitamin B6, B9 and B12 is really good for increasing your energy and mood levels.

I took it before, nice cheap alternative to shots and it helped me keep going. I had a ton of energy and I felt really good. I'm actually going to buy some more today because it's been a bit since I ran out and I have lower energy levels.

Phentermine is usually for those with a lot to lose, I've never heard of it as a shot but only as a pill. I believe it helps supress appetite.

Be careful and best of luck, be wary of shots promising to help you lose weight that are mixed with very low calorie diets, they can be quite unhealthy.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with Nelie.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #9  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

A friend of mine has taken this combo with great success losing weight, but not much success changing her eating habits. I'm afraid that she will regain when she stops taking the injection and phen. Using this only helps for permanent weightloss if you also change your eating habits to maintain the loss. Good luck!

Oh, and please tell me that you don't see that quack who recommended weight loss surgery when you only weighed 170 - that's too extreme at that low of a weight! Unless you're EXTREMELY short, your BMI didn't call for that.

Last edited by kuchick; 06-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #10  

No, I am not going to see that quack of a Doctor who told me to go have weight loss surgery. I never went back and saw them for anything.

I see the new Doctor tomorrow and I very excited. I have read a lot of success stories of people who have tried this combo. I hope I am one of them. I have already began changing my eating habits and cutting back on my food intake. I will need the suppressant though to feel satisfied on only eating a portion the size of my palm. At least that is what I have heard what is recommended in order to eat.

This doctor will also give me a good meal plan for me to fix and an exercise plan so I can have success. He mentioned to me when we talked on Monday it was more than just taking meds and shots and losing weight, it was a lifestyle change. That I do know and I am prepared for. I have just gotten lazy as I have gotten older.

I also plan on taking before, during and after pics. I will take my first one tonight with my start weight. I am not sure if I will take during pics bi-weekly or monthly. I guess it will depend upon if you can even see any noticeable difference in my size.

Wishing all of you the best of luck. I hope I can sleep tonight as I am so excited about tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #11  

I have been on this combo for about a month now and have lost approx 10 pounds. This is a miracle for me; my body tends to "hold on" to fat and on every diet I've ever been on I have lost weight, but much slower than anybody else I'd known who'd done the same things. SO I am very happy with 10 lbs in a month.

I take the Lipo injections everyother week, alternating with the B-12 injections. All they really do for me is give me more energy. Typically, whenever I have tried to lose weight, I feel tired all the time (at least at first) but these injections really help. They are not, in anyway, a substitute for healthy eating and exercise, which was clearly explained to me at the clinic where I go to obtain the injections and medication.

The phentermine, to me, is a miracle. I had been on phen-fen and it worked well for me(albeit the weight came off more slowly for me than for everyone else) and I was extremely disappointed when it was taken off the market. The weight slowly came back and here I am 13 years later weighing 10 llbs more than when I started the phen-fen almost 14 years ago.

When I started this time around, I weighed 175. I am 5'2".

Again, it was clearly explained to me that the phentermine is not a substitute for healthy eating and exercise. It is simply a tool to help me stick to the eating plan that I WANT to stick to but am unable to stick to, consistently, due to lack of willpower. It does something to my brain that makes me be less interested in food. Not totally UN-interested, just not obsessed like I usually am. I have more willpower with the phentermine.

As far as going to a Dr. for phentermine, I have tried numerous times but my Dr. kept recommending that I simply decrease my portion sizes. HELLO! If I had willpower I could do that. But, alas, I have no willpower, so that doesn't work for me.

Also, I have a friend who is a Family PRactice Dr (but she is not my Dr.). SHe told me that her insurance company (which is the same insurance company my Dr is under) does not reimburse her for visits with patients for the exclusive reason of weight loss. However,she does get reimbursed for visits that deal with the side effects of weight loss, such as high cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. I.E. she gets paid only for dealing with the consequences of the disease, not the disease itself.

This may explain why your Dr told you to see a weight loss surgeon....she / he knows he won't get paid for dealing with your weight issues, and a bariatric surgeon typically isn't covered under insurance, anyway.

So, that is my experience. SO far, I am very happy with it.

I hope this helps.
Paulapaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #12  

Well, I had my first appointment, I actually weighed less than I thought. My weight was 206.

The Doctor gave me a diet to follow and a B12 injection. He does not do the Lipo B injections as he will not take the risk on his patients since it is not FDA approved.

He also started me off on Tenuate instead of Adipex. I see there are a few differences in the meds so we shall see how they do for me. I go back once a week for B12 injections as long as I wish to take them. And I see him again in 2 weeks to follow up how my meds and injections and diet is coming along.
So far I have not noticed that I am wired like some people say, but I definitely do not as exhausted as I normally do in the evening. Some nights I fall asleep watching tv about 8:30 or 9:00. This is a good thing that I have the energy to actually stay awake and do the dinner dishes.

I will keep everyone posted also how I feel and what my progress is through out my first couple of weeks. I only took one 25 mg of the Tenuate and I do not have much of an appetite, so I know that is working. I was able to eat a very proportionate meal tonight for dinner.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #13  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I had B injections for a few years when I had a high stress and active job and was suffering from carpal tunnel-like symptoms (but it wasn't carpal tunnel).

I really miss them actually.

You can't always say just take the pill instead... in my case, the doctor said my low levels were because my system simply doesn't absorb it (a genetic thing).
Nowadays I take B-12 dots and my multivitamin, but it just doesn't deliver the same kick as the shot.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #14  
Just Me

Jay, have you tried sublingual b-12? I had a friend who had low b-12 and used sublingual and he said that it was pretty amazing, much better than pills.

I'd say for most of the population, pills are sufficient but yes if you have a b-12 deficiency and pills don't bring the levels up then shots are definitely an option. What I don't like to see though is quack doctors automatically subscribe b-12 injections and act like they are a weight loss aid when they aren't.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #15  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

How do the sublingual B-12 taste? I have low B-12, but have just been taking the pills because the thought of tasting it makes me shudder. I used to hide baby aspirin in my room when I was little because I couldn't stand the taste and my mom kept giving them to me when I was sick.

My friend who was taking Phentermine and B-12 injections was doing it under the care of her gyno and knew that the B-12 was really just for energy - that weight loss may be a side effect of increased energy since you're moving more.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote