The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Jillian Michaels Pills

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/10/the-bi...t-weight-loss/
Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #2  
Not anymore!

S/C/G: 300/250/140

Height: 5"3"

I am not surprised. I mean she is a on a show that promotes weight loss without easy fixes and she selling diet pills. Negative backlash is bound to happen.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #3  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

LOS ANGELES – Jillian Michaels has been sued for alleged false advertising by a woman who claims she was duped into buying a diet supplement endorsed by the celebrity trainer.

Christie Christensen of Lake Elsinore, Calif., is seeking class-action status for the case she filed Tuesday in Los Angeles. Michaels is a hard-charging, no-nonsense trainer best-known as one of the stars of NBC's hit reality show, "The Biggest Loser."

Christensen's lawsuit claims she bought a product called "Jillian Michaels Maximum Strength Calorie Control" last month and that it has failed to lessen her appetite or cause her to lose weight as advertised.

Michaels' picture and endorsement appear on the packaging, touting her as "America's Toughest Trainer." The product and a Web site advertising include the claim, "Two Capsules Before Main Meals and You Lose Weight ... That's It!"

"Ms. Michaels knows better — taking two pills before eating does not miraculously cause weight loss," the lawsuit states.

The Web site and packaging however note that the statements haven't been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Christensen is also suing Utah-based Basic Research, which manufactures and markets several diet and weight loss products endorsed by Michaels.

Michaels' publicist, Heidi Krupp, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment Wednesday. A representative of Basic Research said the company may issue a statement later Wednesday.

"Calorie Control" is not among the products that NBC lists for sale on its "Biggest Loser" Web site, which include video games, DVDs and equipment, some bearing Michaels' image.

"The Biggest Loser" has been a hit for NBC, often appearing in Nielsen Co.'s Top 20 rankings for prime-time TV programs.

Christensen's suit seeks unspecified damages that are not expected to total more than $5 million. Her filing states she has "struggled with weight loss her entire life" and bought "Calorie Control" because of Michaels' endorsement.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #4  

i'm wondering if this woman talked her doctor before buying the pills. it will be interesting to find out how the suit turns out.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #5  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Ooooo. How interesting.

I liked Jillian Michaels... until I found out about these diet pills. Now I can't stand the women. (I still respect that others do not feel the same way as I do though!)
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #6  

don't like her either.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

I don't understand how she can justify endorsing diet pills. It doesn't seem to jive with her whole philosophy.

I'm also not a fan of the side of her that screams in people's faces to get them to break down so she can have a therapy session. It's not a strategy I would respond well to and it's above her pay grade to be attempting therapy- that should be left to professionals. But, I've always respected how hard she works and how much she seems to care about the contestants. The whole diet pill thing does make me lose some respect for her. She knows diet pills are b.s. and people waste millions on them every year, putting off the hard work that's necessary, but she's happy to be a part of that to make a few bucks? It doesn't sit well with me. I hope Bob stays away from all that.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #8  

i saw some of the pills she endorses in my local rite-aid pharmacy. the box clearly stated that the pills are supplements.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I actually have these pills. I used them for a month or so... They are just supposed to keep your appetite in check. You take them before you eat and they are supposed to keep you fuller longer. I think the reason they (kind of) work is that it says to take them with a full glass of water. I'm pretty sure it's just the water that keeps you from feeling hungry, but it was kind of a placebo affect for me. I liked them, I would probably still be taking them but I'm trying to diet naturally this time.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #10  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I LOVE the Biggest Loser and watch religiously as well as using the workout videos, but I can't stand Jillian Michaels. I think she's a terrible actress and comes across as totally fake on the show, but that's just me As far as the diet pills, I also find it a little hypocritical from someone who stresses healthy eating and exercise so much because I feel like if you're working out and eating healthy...you shouldn't need pills?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane View Post
I don't understand how she can justify endorsing diet pills. It doesn't seem to jive with her whole philosophy.
My thoughts, exactly! I haven't watched a lot of TBL, but what little I knew of Jillian, I liked ... UNTIL this diet-pill endorsement thing came out a little while back. I lost all respect for her at that point.

I'm sure it's the only way she can keep getting "raises" ... I doubt the Kale Council (if there is one) would be able to afford her endorsement!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
My thoughts, exactly! I haven't watched a lot of TBL, but what little I knew of Jillian, I liked ... UNTIL this diet-pill endorsement thing came out a little while back. I lost all respect for her at that point.

I'm sure it's the only way she can keep getting "raises" ... I doubt the Kale Council (if there is one) would be able to afford her endorsement!
Most Hollywood people are phony baloneys. I've never really respected her, nor really care if she's manly or fake or capitalistic. All I know is that her workout videos are awesome, and they've really helped me get in shape. It really is a shame that she is selling these diet pills, but I like her videos, and they've gotten me energetic and healthy.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
Haha! Yeah, there's no money in veggies!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

she use to have a radio show out here in Los Angeles, it was REALLY good...she talked once about pills and supplements and she said she is and absolute FIRM believer of taking pills with caffeine in them while dieting or before workouts. she also said that the biggest loser would not ALLOW her to give the contestants pills or supplements, even caffeine (and she didn't understand why that was...she didn't think that was THAT big of a deal). her demeanor on her radio show was COMPLETELY different than on BL. she is very upbeat, fun and friendly, i actually downloaded a ton of the podcasts of the show off the internet...they are really inspirational to listen to when i work out. i think her BL persona is kind of an act.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #15  

i'm looking forward to seeing her new reality show this summer.